Boost 4 Newbs

UFO70

:
2003 MSP, Spicy Orange
I bought a MSP about a week ago. I would like to put in a boost gauge and a boost controller. For a stock MSP what is the best/easiest boost controller to use? And for a gauge which one looks best inside the car?

easiest to install:
Joe P MBC
not that easy to set, as you have to drive, pull over, open the hood, turn the knob, close the hood, drive, check the boost, pull over, open the hood, turn the knob, close the hood, drive, check the boost, etc
Just requires a bit of time to set it.

As far as boost gauges go, It really depends on what 'look' you like and where you plan to go on future gauges. If you're planning on putting in more than a boost gauge (such as EGT, Oil Pressure, AFR which BTW is definitely suggested if you plan to boost more than stock) I'd suggest going with a set of Autometer gauges as they have a very large selection of styles, and they are very well-reputed. But, if you're just looking to have a boost gauge, I'd probably suggest the Blitz unit simply because I think it looks very schweet (especially at night) and is said to be a bit more accurate/responsive than most.

Boost controllers. If I had the cash to go all-out on a controller, the A'PEXi AVC-R boost controller would be my first choice. I've used this unit on a Supra and it is very intuitive. The Blitz SBC i-D is also a very nice (but expen$ive) unit. Boost control on a budget - You'll probably want the HKS EVC EZ as it is relatively inexpensive (read: ~$350) If you're looking for supah-cheap, you could get the Turbonetics manual vbc unit, which isn't much more than a dash-mounted potentiometer attached to a regulating valve. I've never seen, used, or trusted a manual boost controller such as this, so just remember - you get what you pay for.

also look into the hallman evolution..in cabin adjustable mbc....nice avatar too cyomega..i want one too..i love the new rx8's :p

Back