Bluetooth module detached

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Premium Pkg
So I opened my glove box a couple of days ago, and a module with a cable connected at both ends was laying in it. There was a piece of double-sided tape on one side which had obviously not remained adhered properly to whatever the module was supposed to be attached to. I figured it was probably the Remote Engine Start module the dealer installed after I purchased the vehicle. However, I went to the dealer today and the tech said it was the Bluetooth module. He reattached the module (which involved removing the glove box), but apparently wasn't satisfied with how well it stuck because he pulled it off again. It seemed like he had to pull on it pretty hard to remove it again. Anyway, he removed the original double-sided tape, cleaned the module surface and whatever surface it attaches to, and attached it with a new piece of aftermarket double-sided tape (something from 3M). I've had the vehicle 7 weeks, and it has about 1400 miles on it. I'm not exactly sure when the module fell off, because I hadn't opened the glove box for a week or so. We'd had pretty hot weather (high 80s / low 90s) the prior week or so. I'm hoping I won't find it in the glove box again in a few weeks.

I don't know what it was but I doubt it was anything to do with the factory installed Bluetooth. Did you have any accessories fitted?

Like I said, the dealer installed the remote engine start. That's what I guessed it was but I didn't write down the part number so I don't know for sure.

Yeah, I think that must be it. According to the PDF, Bluetooth is built in and there are no remote modules behind the glovebox. Location of all the components are on page 6.

View attachment 216943

Last edited:
Ya I think they were giving you fluff claiming it was bluetooth to seem like they didn't mess up LOL. I can't see anything OEM out of the factory being primarily secured only by double sided tape. It would be clipped / screwed / bolted / tied in one way or another.

My guess is they were lazy in their initial starter install and didn't put any zip ties where zip ties were due.

Anchorman, where are you getting this PDF? Are more available (for the entire vehicle)?

Good aren't they? Mazda produce them for every aspect of the vehicle alongside an online workshop manual. You can only access them by subscribing and you have to prove a connection with the motor trade. It satisfies a legal requirement that motor manufacturers must not try to prevent third party repairers from competing to service vehicles. I don't have a complete set as there are 100's but I've got a few if there is something you'd like to see in particular. They give a technical description and background to assist in fault finding. For example, this one explains the airbag system and exterior trim.

Good aren't they? Mazda produce them for every aspect of the vehicle alongside an online workshop manual. You can only access them by subscribing and you have to prove a connection with the motor trade. It satisfies a legal requirement that motor manufacturers must not try to prevent third party repairers from competing to service vehicles. I don't have a complete set as there are 100's but I've got a few if there is something you'd like to see in particular. They give a technical description and background to assist in fault finding. For example, this one explains the airbag system and exterior trim.

Would you happen to have the headlight and tail light wiring diagram?
I would put LED on turn signals but would be nice to centrally install the load resistors instead of spreading them out.

I'm also considering disabling the DRL but jumping ACC power to the signature lights.

Would you happen to have the headlight and tail light wiring diagram?
I would put LED on turn signals but would be nice to centrally install the load resistors instead of spreading them out.

I'm also considering disabling the DRL but jumping ACC power to the signature lights.
Most of the PDFs carry an individual wiring diagram but I would urge care with them. Firstly, mine are European PDFs and there are regional differences to conform to legislation. Secondly, the lighting is primarily controlled by the front and rear body control modules and I wouldn't know how they might react to having modifications made. For instance, I know you can destroy the rear body control module by changing the trunk light bulb while lit - it spikes the PCB. My CX-5 has the ALH headlights which have 24 individual leds for main beam but unless you tell me otherwise, I'm attaching the standard lights.

hmmmm...... interesting,

I'm surprised Mazda went with an active cooling fan for the LED's , I would have thought they would have gone the heatsink passive convection cooling (no fan) route.

Most of those tiny fans don't last more than 4 years before they fail or just stop running.

Well you're looking at $1500 for an ALH headlight and as far as I know, there are no serviceable parts inside.

Back