Blown Turbo

msp1986

:
Sunlight Silver 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege #1986
Hey guys, couple questions..
first, do our cars have a history of blowing turbos, and if so apprx what mileage would this most likely happen...

second, how could you tell if your turbo is blown or on its way there, what are some symptoms..

third, what should a healthy T25 sound and feel like?? i know this one will probably vary based on mods but just a generality will do..

Thanks very much guys.. just trying to get a good idea of these things.

Hey guys, couple questions..
first, do our cars have a history of blowing turbos, and if so apprx what mileage would this most likely happen...

second, how could you tell if your turbo is blown or on its way there, what are some symptoms..

third, what should a healthy T25 sound and feel like?? i know this one will probably vary based on mods but just a generality will do..

Thanks very much guys.. just trying to get a good idea of these things.

They will let go in the upper mileage range but well into the mid 100's. I have seen a msp with 180k on the stock turbo. it really depends on how the car was treated during its life. a bad stock turbo will most likely be burning some oil.

take the intake off and see if you have shaft play. that would be a good indicator if the turbo is blown.

it makes and holds normal boost without any issues. sounds like most turbos that ive heard.. it does whine a bit which is something ive experienced in most turbo cars... this is mostly for curiousity sake

i guess i meant whistle.. like a jet engine sort of. i can also hear mine spinning for a good 30 seconds after i shut my car off.. it does have a high pitched whine only when the car is cold that isnt very noticeable but there. no seal leaks or shaft leaks at all

A properly maintained turbo can outlast the engine in most cases. Now neglecting to change your oil, air filter, pcv or otherwise abusing it shortens its longevity. The stock MSP turbo does make what sounds like a high pitched dog whistle sound while spooling. Your turbo is possessed or under some sort of voodoo spell if its making noise after shutdown. :D

Pull off the intake and look for a puddle of oil on the inlet. Should be less whining sound and more whistling. I've had 2 IHI turbos go out but they were ceramic sleeve bearings and they started to whine like a supercharger.

A properly maintained turbo can outlast the engine in most cases. Now neglecting to change your oil, air filter, pcv or otherwise abusing it shortens its longevity. The stock MSP turbo does make what sounds like a high pitched dog whistle sound while spooling. Your turbo is possessed or under some sort of voodoo spell if its making noise after shutdown. :D
if I listen carefully I can hear mine continue to rotate slowly after shutdown for 5-10 seconds.

Mine must be uber quiet as I just came back from a long drive and stuck my ear on the grill and didn't hear anything but a heat shield noise.

just watch out cuz mine did a high pitch noise and then i realize smoke was come out of the car down the freeway. not fun it looked like my car was in fire hahahahaha good times.

my car has 197,000k and i have the stock turbo and it still spools but my engine burns oil like a motherfucker but i just keep topping it up

ya i guess can only hear mine for like 10 to 15 seconds. i think everything is ok just have had a lot of problems lately and was worried about that too

lol im burning maybe half a litre or so and i switched over to non synthetic 530 and it didnt really help

i cleaned out my air filter... i think it was so dirty it was choking the turbo hnse the thread.. does this sound possible?

Back