Blown motor :(

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - Dark Silver
I was driving on the highway at no more than the legal speed limit and was definetly not racing anyone at all. I did not downshift to third and continue at WOT midway through fifth. I was just driving along casually, doing nothing illegal in any way and it started misfiring and blowing blue smoke out the exhaust.

I pulled over and got it towed home and tore the motor apart and saw that piston #4 was broken. Sidewall of the sleeve is all scared up but I think the rod is still good cause the motor was still running smooth other than only running on 3 cylinders. It didn't make any big bangs or anything. I'm gonna take the rest of the motor out tomorrow and look it over see what else if anything is wrecked. The scarring is pretty deep, not sure if they can resleeve it or I have to get a new block. Head is still mint though.

This is what happens when you boost 22psi for 2 years lol, forged or not it's still a lot of abuse to take. I had Wiseco 9:1 pistons with 0.5 mil overbore and Eagle H-Beam rods.

Last edited:
Looks like bad detonation on that cylinder...

Even forged components are not invunverable to failures, but hell, thats the fun in the game :)

I was just thinking..... on whatever new block I build should I change to 8.5:1 compression? I intend to run the same boost I was running or even go for 30psi to get some big numbers. I was doing some reading and they say 9:1 is good for 14psi or less and 8.5:1 is ideal for high boost big power applications. Also it would be more resistant to the obvious detonation I've been getting.

I originally chose 9:1 cause I wanted to make more power per pound of boost, but maybe this time I should choose safety over power. It's a pain in the dick to tear the car apart and wait for parts and motor work to get done. Not to mention expensive, so I'd like to take steps to avoid it.

What does everyone think?

Please edit your post, street racing is not allowed on here. I would edit it but on my phone.

Please edit your post, street racing is not allowed on here. I would edit it but on my phone.

Not a problem, It's just hard when you live your life a quarter mile at a time like I do. LOL J/K I just have a problem ignoring ricer flybys, especially with their hazard lights on.

Lower compression = higher boost.
8.5:1 will allow you to get away with around 20psi on a good tune.

I ran 25psi out of a 3071R on an 8.2:1 comp. built 06 Hyundai Tiburon.
486whp

That sucks man, but yea that is why people go with 8.5:1 for anything over 14psi or so like you said. It's not just a preference, it's a must.

sorry to hear that, im running the same setupbut k1 rods but pushing 15psi. if i blow my motor ill be switching to 8:5:1 compression

damn that sucks guess ill be getting a knock light for my build soon lol on a side note 2 years on 22psi still sounds nice

Last edited:
Just curious, wat timing were u running on full boost?

At that time 15 degrees at 22 psi.

I actually got the motor rebuild over the winter and put on a bigger turbo and injectors. Unfortunetly during the drive to the dyno I blew my motor..... again lol. 3 pistons went this time, I only replaced the damaged one last time but I see now how much of a bad idea that was cause the 3 I didn't replace blew all at the same time. Oh well, all part of the game, blow it up and build it again. This time I plan to have it back within a month cause I wanna race this year bad.

The block just needed an overbore, I have it back now just waiting for pistons, bearings and gaskets in the mail and I'll be back up and running. TRAILORING to dyno this time lol.

Fck man sorry!! It wouldn't have helped much in this situation but for real dude...you need a knocklight! Was this running on meth? I'd have blown mine several times I'm sure as many Hot as **** Houston afternoons sitting in traffic with the cylinders being washed out with a ton of fuel idling ... I romp on it a little too soon and my J&S lights up like christmas tree followed by a nice black smoke cloud of raw fuel!

Oh yeah, knock light and EGT gauge is in my future, not to mention a full retune on dyno. It seems I've reached a point where wideband afr is the least of my worries. Detonation is my enemy, and I don't plan to blow up again. It's too time consuming and expensive haha.

At that time 15 degrees at 22 psi.

I actually got the motor rebuild over the winter and put on a bigger turbo and injectors. Unfortunetly during the drive to the dyno I blew my motor..... again lol. 3 pistons went this time, I only replaced the damaged one last time but I see now how much of a bad idea that was cause the 3 I didn't replace blew all at the same time. Oh well, all part of the game, blow it up and build it again. This time I plan to have it back within a month cause I wanna race this year bad.

The block just needed an overbore, I have it back now just waiting for pistons, bearings and gaskets in the mail and I'll be back up and running. TRAILORING to dyno this time lol.

Thats wayyyy too high at 22psi, im running about 12 degre for 15psi of boost and yet this is with water injection. At your boost level I would dial it down to 7 -8.

Back