Blown Motor Today! Sorry guys!

chrisstutz

:
Spicey Orange 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
Some of you tried to help and that was greatly appreciated, but as of 30 minutes ago, I blew the motor bad! I had the Turbo XS MBC set where I was spiking around 10 or a hair higher, and settling in at around 8.5 LBS. For some reason it had a huge spike to 15 LBS. or so( at least that's what I seen out the corner of my eye.) I got some jerking, then some banging and a loud thump. I think the whole bottom end let go. What caused this huge spike?

cold weather?? a leak somewhere?? bad wastegate actuator??

I know that once i saw 11 psi at "stock" boost because of my bad wastegate actuator, once replaced i got a steady 7 psi.

jmv said:
cold weather?? a leak somewhere?? bad wastegate actuator??

I know that once i saw 11 psi at "stock" boost because of my bad wastegate actuator, once replaced i got a steady 7 psi.
Only God knows?? Mazda said it is going to cost me $7500 to put a new motor in. I was under warranty but it is all voided due to mods. It had 48,000 miles on it.

chrisstutz said:
Only God knows?? Mazda said it is going to cost me $7500 to put a new motor in. I was under warranty but it is all voided due to mods. It had 48,000 miles on it.

You can get a motor for $600-$800 with low miles. Save yourself some money and buy one from a salvage yard. Just buy the long block, minus the turbo stuff and you are set. And turn the boost down till you figure out what caused it. Speed circuits built motor is way cheaper than $7500.00 Just a little info for you to chew on :)

hellcat said:
You can get a motor for $600-$800 with low miles. Save yourself some money and buy one from a salvage yard. Just buy the long block, minus the turbo stuff and you are set. And turn the boost down till you figure out what caused it. Speed circuits built motor is way cheaper than $7500.00 Just a little info for you to chew on :)
I am not too knowledge in building motors or installing them and Proteges are hard to find around Cincinnati. Where can I get a circuit motor? I had the car towed to Mazda of Cincinnati and told them to put a new one in. They will start on it Monday.

But any protege motor or short block. Swap it, the MSP engine identical to the others. You can get a fully built block with forged internals for around $3000.

FI_FSDE said:
But any protege motor or short block. Swap it, the MSP engine identical to the others. You can get a fully built block with forged internals for around $3000.
That's the way I want to go. Who do you reccommend? Mazda said the new MSP crate motor was almost $5,000. WTF?? I thought that was awfully high.

Do a search on this forum for Speed Circuit. You should pull up a few threads and find the one you need fairly easy. They are not the only company building a forged motor for our car either. Search for built motor too and see what comes up.

hellcat said:
Do a search on this forum for Speed Circuit. You should pull up a few threads and find the one you need fairly easy. They are not the only company building a forged motor for our car either. Search for built motor too and see what comes up.
Thanx. Just got off the phone with Street Unit and priced out a forged motor for $3000 or so.

Speedcircuit has built motors but so does S U .com ... if you need the rest of the second website email me for the address.

chrisstutz said:
That's the way I want to go. Who do you reccommend? Mazda said the new MSP crate motor was almost $5,000. WTF?? I thought that was awfully high.
do not! let your dealer do that. i know itll be more of a hassle but get a forged motor and try to find someone that will do it for you. your stealership definitely sounds to be doing their job of ripping you off.

MSP608 said:
do not! let your dealer do that. i know itll be more of a hassle but get a forged motor and try to find someone that will do it for you. your stealership definitely sounds to be doing their job of ripping you off.
Yeah, you aint kidding. How hard to do your engine swap?

hellcat said:

the s*** blew up because it had an MBC, plain and simple... wait, even more simple, he turned up the boost without proper management!

TheMAN said:
the s*** blew up because it had an MBC, plain and simple... wait, even more simple, he turned up the boost without proper management!
Thats what street unit said. Do not use MBC's.

damn $7,500! Buy the motor yourself and have a local mechanic drop it in for half the price or less.

Rio Racer said:
damn $7,500! Buy the motor yourself and have a local mechanic drop it in for half the price or less.
Thats what I am thinking. They came and got the car so I will have to wait till Monday to see what the deal is.

mazdaspeedwerx said:
whats wrong with mbc's? I like mine

mine has treated me just fine.. if all of a sudden there's an abnormal rush of power I'll know something is up and just let off the throttle

I had no warning. I kinda cracked into it like I have before and....you know the rest.

ouch. well I have no choice right now .. it's either MBC or just running straight wastegate (I don't have the boost control solenoid since my car isn't an MSP). *crosses fingers* I hope my Turbosmart treats me right :)

Back