Blown Head Gasket

Thekid760

:
2002 Protege5
I just found out that my head gasket is blown.

I don't have the money to take it into a shop and have them replace it for me, and besides, I don't trust people to do things right the first time.

Luckily I have a car to use for the next week, but I work/have school everyday so I'm only available to work on it a few partial day throughout the week.

Now for the main reason of the post:
Anyone have a detailed list of parts I will need?

My brother told me that I need to take the head into the machine shop so they can check it for cracks, clean it, install new valve guides, resurface it, and reassemble it.
Anything else I should have them do, or is that good?

Thanks guys

-Mark

I will be replacing my head gasket this weekend...Mine blew due to the overheating issues i was having.

The only gaskets/parts you REALLY need are:
  • New Head Gasket
  • New Head Bolts (oem or ARP)
  • RTV Gasket Maker
  • Exhaust Manifold Gasket.

If you'd rather be safe than sorry (in-case your other gaskets get damage while removing the parts) then pick up these gaskets as well:
  • Intake Manifold gasket
  • Throttle Body Gasket
  • Valve Cover gasket

How many miles are on your car? While you have everything apart, it could be a good time to replace the belts as well...
  • Tensioner Spring
  • Timing belt
  • ALT/WP Accessory Belt
  • AC/PS Accessory Belt

As for the head, your brother is pretty much right. I think his suggestions may be a bit of overkill though. You should be fine with having the head resurfaced. Check for cracks and anything else that is obviously wrong. Other than that, you should be alright. If you have any questions/ get stuck along the way, shoot me a PM. I'll give ya my phone number and you call if you get stuck anywhere in the process.

Last edited:
How many miles are on your car? While you have everything apart, it could be a good time to do the timing belts as well...
  • Tensioner Spring
  • Timing belt
  • ALT/WP Accessory Belt
  • AC/PS Accessory Belt

As for the head, your brother is pretty much right. I think his suggestions may be a bit of overkill though. You should be fine with having the head resurfaced. Check for cracks and anything else that is obviously wrong. Other than that, you should be alright. If you have any questions/ get stuck along the way, shoot me a PM. I'll give ya my phone number and you call if you get stuck anywhere in the process.
While you are at it and everything apart you might as well change the water pump

I will be replacing my head gasket this weekend...Mine blew due to the overheating issues i was having.

The only gaskets/parts you REALLY need are:
  • New Head Gasket
  • New Head Bolts (oem or ARP)
  • RTV Gasket Maker
  • Exhaust Manifold Gasket.
Just curious, where do you plan on putting rtv gasket maker? I thought that stuff was for the oil pan and oil pump area..since they don't have actual gaskets.

[/LIST]Just curious, where do you plan on putting rtv gasket maker? I thought that stuff was for the oil pan and oil pump area..since they don't have actual gaskets.

Hey buddy, long time no talk. I read that you were having a motor build by Dino. Very nice!

But yea, to remove the head, you have to remove the camshafts. When everything is re-assembled, you have to use the RTV stuff on the end cam-caps (caps closest to the cam gears). This in conjunction with the cam seals, keep oil from spewing out by the cam gears.

Hey buddy, long time no talk. I read that you were having a motor build by Dino. Very nice!

But yea, to remove the head, you have to remove the camshafts. When everything is re-assembled, you have to use the RTV stuff on the end cam-caps (caps closest to the cam gears). This in conjunction with the cam seals, keep oil from spewing out by the cam gears.

Thanks for the info...I'll double check this when I get to this stage. Ya well I basically got everything from Dino and decided to assemble it all locally. A decision I took only because Dino has been pretty busy on a few other motor builds..which would delay my time frame. Thought I'd be done by now but my mechanic got bombarded with work the last few weeks.

P.s It's coming along nicely, not over looking anything which annoys my mechanic but I'm not doing this again. Should be done next week. Later man!

Got the head off without any major problems, just a few trips to sears.
Its at the machine shop now, just waiting for it to be completed.

I decided to replace al my upper gaskets, and my water pump, timing belt, and tensioner while i'm at it.

get a new water outlet gasket, since you'll going to have to take it off to get the intake manifold off anyway.

Back