Blower turning on after turning the vehicle off

KRT-1

Yesterday morning, our 2007 CX9 started doing something funny. When I turn off the car, the blower suddenly cuts on for 60 seconds. It does not matter if I am running the air when I shut off the car or not, it still cuts on. Has anyone else experienced this? What do you think the problem is?

Improper grounding is likely the cause of it.
I thought there is a TSB for fan blowing after shut-off. Something about a blown fuse needing to be replaced. Please do a search on this forum.
This has not happened to my 2008 GT.

Let me know if you find the TSB since my wifes 07 has done it a few times as well. Our dealer here is terrible and I would have to have this well documented on the fix before even attempting to get it resolved.

Hello here is my post from another forum, this should solve your issue:

My CX9 is out of warranty so I asked my buddy that works at Riverside Mazda to hook me up with a copy of TSB 07-008/09. I read through it and was very simple and straight forward. I bought the relay that the TSB said to replace (part# G115-67-730) replaced it (under hood relay box closest to the driver's side fender) and up to right now no more occurences

***My suggestion is to buy two (2) of these relays and replace them both for the front blower and the rear blower, they are the biggest relays inside the box, there is no way to confuse them***

change these parts
3sgqgrl3b.jpg

Same problem with my 07 cx9-mystery fan after turning car off. Took to dealer and replaced relay switch- also tell them the clock is not keeping time - loses a few minutes after a week and they will replace the clock area as well( they knew about it right away).

Clock loosing time is usually caused by bad quartz used.
The standard is about 15 secs/month for quartz time-keeping.

Thanks for the responses. The blower suddenly stopped coming on after the vehicle was turned off. It only did it for 3 days. Just for peace of mind, I ordered a couple of the relays just in case it happens again. Again, thanks for the help.

My CX-9 fell victim to the rear blower on full speed when I turned it off at the gas station yesterday. I turned it off, started to exit to refuel, and heard a loud air blowing sound. At first I couldn't figure if it was a sound coming from inside or outside. I then leaned over the center console and noted it was coming from the back seat. It had stopped by the time I finished and got back in. I made 3 more stops before going home, and it didn't do it again.

Strange!

Just a heads up... ours has been doing this intermittently even though we've had it fixed up under warranty once before. I've found that hitting the "off" button of the HVAC system before you switch off the engine stops the rear blower from coming back on. Its annoying having to turn it off and then back on when you get back in the car again, but its stopped the rear blower coming on.

Just a heads up... ours has been doing this intermittently even though we've had it fixed up under warranty once before. I've found that hitting the "off" button of the HVAC system before you switch off the engine stops the rear blower from coming back on. Its annoying having to turn it off and then back on when you get back in the car again, but its stopped the rear blower coming on.

If you've had the infamous relay replaced already... next in line will be the head or control unit for the rear system. It's not as common but we've seen it here at our dealership.

My experience is that it is the relay. Next time when the fan is on just do what I tried. Pop off the relay box cover and tap the relay. If that does it then the issue lies in faulty relays. On the other hand I can see what Marin Mazda is stating.

A relay basically works when voltage is applied to the metal contacts. When voltage is cut the fliiper inside the relay moves back to resting position. If for some weird reason there is a stray voltage running through the head or CU it could possibly cause this.

Marin Mazda is stating whats next in line if the relays did not solve the problem because that is exactly what the TSB states...and yes Marin Mazda is correct.

*BUMP*
Hey Marin, hows beautiful NorCal...I sure do miss Davis. I hate it down here in SoCal...oh well. :(

Are you telling me that replacing the relay won't solve the problem?

I took my CX-9 today to a local dealer and told me that they only replaced the relay for the front blower because that's the one that I complained to them. Did the TSB suggested to replace both? I can't find a copy of this TSB can someone post the link please. thanks.

I feel like I was late for this blower party... but this just happened to my 2008 CX-9. Glad I google searched the issue and pointed me to this thread. I have just solved the blower on after ignition is turned off problem by replacing the old "Tyco" branded relay with a new one from our nearby Mazda dealer ($5.50 each). I went ahead and replaced both the front and back blower relays. Thanks for this thread and information. I've now also signed up as a member!

Back