Blinker problem with protege5

ravi189

I have an 02 protege5 and recently my left blinker stopped working.

It started off as just once in a while, but now it's gradually happening more and more often.

It's not just a single light, The front blinker, the rear blinker, and also the the blinker inside my car to inform you your blinker is on (also the click), don't work all at once. Then i'll turn the blinker off and put it back on and it will work.

Any idea what to do?? thanks

it can be the connection in the turn signal stalk, or the clock spring. from the sounds of it like its not getting the signal.

another quick question.

When i put my hazards on the left signal still doesn't work.

I would think if it were the stalk then the hazards would work. What do you think??

I don't know about the protege, but my work truck has a module for the turn signal lights. There might be a problem with it, and you will have to replace it.

I'll look at mine when I am down in my garage in a few minues and see if I can find it on my P5.

Ok, so I just looked while I was putting clothes in the dryer. The module seems to a small black box located above the inside fuse panel. If you look at the fuse panel, then look up an inch or so it is a black box. I say I think it is the module because I am pretty sure the clicker sound is coming from it. I think that this is the part. If I am wrong please someone correct me.

Last edited:
I had an issue with the turn signal relay in my old 626, sounds exactly like it. A new relay solved my problems.

I know the wiper stalk is a drop-in piece, and if the signal stalk is too, I would pull it out and clean the contacts with alcohol first. Also, you probably could pick one up off car-parts.com for not too much and swap it out to see if the stalk is the problem.

^ Since it doesn't work with the hazards it probably isn't a stalk problem, more likely a relay problem. The new relay is only about 50 bucks, and easy to install. He could also find a friend with a protege and try swapping that one in to see if that is the problem.

I believe bucksatan has the correct solution for your problem. Looking at the Protege wiring diagram, it appears a defective flasher control module is the only part that could cause your symptons. It controls all the lights and conditions you have. The hazard lights do not use the switch stalk.

Clifton

Your blinker fluid is low

LMFAO... I laugh at this because I belong to another forum and a dude was having trouble with his blinker someone said the same thing and he actually called the dealer to find out where the blinker fluid went in a 99 Cavy...

I know you can't make an accurate diagnosis with my description, but how likely is it that it's the flasher relay?? I ask this because i can't find it on any other site but the one given to me, which means i'll have to pay $45. It says you can't return anything used, so i want to be as certain as possible that its the right part.

Is there another name for the flasher relay that i should be looking for??

ANd my blinker fluid is full

thanks

It sounds exactly like what happened in my 626 a few years ago. I popped in a new relay and it worked perfectly. The lack of a click is the failing relay. Do you know anyone around with a prootege to swap them? Also, a junkyard might sell you one cheap.

In the shop manual it's called a "flasher control module".
In this link are shop manuals you can download if needed.
http://www.floptical.net/mazda/
If the part is available in your area I would remove the part and take it to the store with me. I looked at the wiiring diagram and based on your description of your problem it's probably the module. It could also be defective wiring but that would involve more than one wire

Clifton

i appreciate it... i'll let you know what happens

and i think i know a guy with a protege sedan, im just not that cool w/ him. I'll see if can swap it.

thanks again

Back