Blind Spot Monitoring and Motorcycles

rotaryflake

:
2019 Mazda CX-5
I've noticed that the BSM system may or may not pick up bikes on the road, depending on their size. This morning I was being trailed by someone on a crotch rocket, and as he passed me the BSM light failed to illuminate. He was passing rather gradually, so it wasn't as if he zipped past before the BSM could detect him. He sat back there for over 30 seconds, and had I not noticed him before, I would have never known he was there.

Has anyone else noticed a problem with bikes?

Btw - That warning is written in owners manual regarding BSM and motorcycles.

I did notice it picking up a motorcycle recently on my CX-5.

Bike drove by me on the way home and it worked fine. That being said a few guard rails and curbs have set it off before...the system is not perfect nor should it replace the good ol shoulder check, but it does work pretty good most of the time.

which lane was he in? i can see them not picking them up if they are in the 'far' side of the lane rather than the 'close' lane track

Mine picked up a dirt bike last night, and a pack of motorcycles on Friday. I figured the pack makes sense...and the dirt bike was fairly tall.

I've been quite surprised in the face that it's not only picked up motorcycles with ease, but it has also managed to help me avoid bicycles.

It's been extremely successful in helping me avoid terrible situations.

The manual provides some helpful information on the BSM system.

I agree, the BSM system provides useful feedback for safe operation, to supplement a quick visual check of blind spots. I wish all my cars had BSM system.

Yes, watch out for motorcycles and not just the ones in blind spots.

Back