Blew my Motor!

JoeHoff04

Hey everyone, so i posted a thread before saying i MIGHT have blown my motor but i finally did, sounds like a rod knock, a very very badd one, my mechanic wanted me to find out if there is a cheaper way of going about it than actually spending 1200 dollars to ken from protegegarage.com he said try to find a forge piston kit with everything to rebuild the bottem end i really dont wanna go over 800 for all this cause i dont have much to spend, soo can someone please give me an Idea on my options (2003 Mazdaspeed Protege Milleage: 87,500 Bone stock nothing done to it)

Thank You.

There is no way you can do a complete forged bottom end for less than $800. I have tried to find the cheapest way. The best I came up with was $1300 without labor.

Try and find a replacement FSDE motor. Then swap out the turbo parts

Dude..just get another motor from a wrecked car and transfer your turbo over to it. And don't run high boost.

okayy.. sounds good to me guys thank you, im gunna call some salvage yards tomorrow to find a few threw out NJ thanks again!!

ok ok guys i found a place out in clifton, NJ maybe 2 hours from me im gunna give them a call tomorrow, they seem pretty legit and the motor are cheap, is are motors the same exact thing as a regular protege?? i blieve it is but im not suree what exactly needs to be swapped over besides the turbo components, soo pleaseee let me know thank you.

yes the 2.0l fsde is the same motor that's in the msp, the protege and the p5...

you just need to swap over the exhaust mani, and turbo poo...and don't forget the plate that is above the oil pan....that is needed for your oil return off the turbo

yeah that is all and its good that you didnt throw a rod because now that plate is still good. if you search around you can get a FS motor cheap.

how do you pop a motor with that mileage and no mods. maybe if you beat the piss out of it or run it with no oil or cheap oil.

i just dont see how you can be driving it down the street and all of a sudden you get this problem.

im not accusing or anything i just don't see how. random failure i guess but you don't see too much of it.

i also wanted to know if the compression ratio is diff. i called the guy and he said he has a whole bunch of FS 2.0L engines with less than 60,000 miles on it, now if i get that motor is it a direct replacement, i also wanted to know if they have the same compression ratio?? anything else i need to know??

Ok, They are the exact same you want one with a cam and crank sensor the only thing you will need to do is remove the oil pan off of both motors and take the plate thing and change it from the msp motor to the new one. and then reinstall the motor.

okayy.. so ur saying if i go to a junkyard/engine shop and grab a regular non-turbo protege motor everything, the internals crankshaft pistons cams rods compression is all the same?? and i can drop it in as long as its a FS 2.0L motor besides the oil pan and the turbo components that need to be moved over?

-i just wanna make sure everything will be okay, soo i dont blow it again.

as far as i know.... when they made these cars the blocks and everything are the same between the p5, sedan, mp3 and msp. the only difference is the valve cover (for the engine cover bolt pattern) the turbo parts and the oil pan.

its the exact same

imo (if you have the money) i would just buy one of the all forged motors from ken. should never blow, if you do everything right.... and plus you can run hi boost with that engine. it'll but some hair on ur balls lol jk

haha well i found a guy that sells the FS 2.0L motor for only 549.99 with less then 60 grande on it

lol

goto both places look at there motors and compare... get the nicest (not the cleanest) no mater the price. you wont regret it

Back