Blasted sway-bar linkage, stripped allen key hole... HELP!

02Protege'5

:
'02 P5
To make a long story short, I messed up my sway-bar linkage trying to remove it, i didnt know there was an allen key hole in the center. I wound up using an impact gun on it, now it screwed. Tried putting the allen key in there and using a wrench,.....stripped the allen key hole out. tried putting vice grips on the exposed part of the bolt, no luck. Any advice getting this sucker off?

I did it this weekend.

This is how I got them off:
1) Popped the ball out of the socket, removed the endlink itself
2) Used a sawzall to cut the ball end off, using the swaybar as a guide
3) Used an angle grinder to take of the last little bit, leaving just the bolt going through the bar
4) Used a punch to knock the bolt out of the swaybar.

Took me about 15mins per side.
(I was replacing the struts- so I didn't have to repeat that process on the top side)

i think you are talking about a tie rod and tie rod end? there is no ball in a swaybar link, at least none like in a tie rod end. There is a pivot mechanism but it is completely enclosed inside the swaybar linkage. Thinking about it tho, i may be able to sawzall the thing off at the joint....

No, I am talking about the endlink- which is a ball joint at both ends. With a pry bar, you can pop the joint apart which makes access with a sawzall much easier.

Thanks man, ill have at it as soon as i find some time. nothing like using my carpenter tools on my car!

I hear you on that... I used a 12" blade which gave me pretty good access, and allow some flex to get the right angle. Takes some time to cut through the stud, but it will go...

I ran the blade flush against the swaybar, but of course that didn't cut EXACTLY flush. Because of this, you will have to grind away the last bit of stud mating against the swaybar. Once you do this- you can just punch it through. Makes a lot of sense once you see it in person.

this is exactly what i had to do last night, then i used an electric hammer to punch the last bit of stud out, so satisfying...

I hear you on that... I used a 12" blade which gave me pretty good access, and allow some flex to get the right angle. Takes some time to cut through the stud, but it will go...

I ran the blade flush against the swaybar, but of course that didn't cut EXACTLY flush. Because of this, you will have to grind away the last bit of stud mating against the swaybar. Once you do this- you can just punch it through. Makes a lot of sense once you see it in person.

I don't know what you call it, but I just used an air tool thing with a disc at the end to cut right through the middle of the bolt and nut. nut fell off in half and after squeezing the bolt end back together I just slid it out.

That's called a die grinder, with a cut-off wheel

...The idea here is you cut the bolt off with whatever cutting device you have access to.

Back