Black Upholstery

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I'm starting to look at the enventory that my local Mazda has and the Red & White are the only combinations that comes with light colored seats. Concerned that the black seats will be too hot here in FL. My local dealers and othe dealers within 50 miles have lots of cars but, most all have black seats. Anyone in FL or hot country have black interior and how do you like it? Ed

I'm starting to look at the enventory that my local Mazda has and the Red & White are the only combinations that comes with light colored seats. Concerned that the black seats will be too hot here in FL. My local dealers and othe dealers within 50 miles have lots of cars but, most all have black seats. Anyone in FL or hot country have black interior and how do you like it? Ed

I'm from Wisconsin. I know everyone thinks it's only cold but in the summer months, the weather is very comparable to FL... Hot and Humid. I have black interior and although it does get very warm, I feel that the AC is more than adequate to cool it off. If it's really hot out, I just go out about 5 mins earlier and start it up and crank the AC and by the time my wife and baby are ready to go... the CX-5 is nice and cool inside.

My wife has a Mazda 6 with black seats and I think it is quite a bit warmer than my CX-5 with brown/sand seats, especially after a full day sitting outside in the 100 heat in Houston. I don't think it would have been a deal breaker if only Black were available, but I do prefer the sand color.

My wife has a Mazda 6 with black seats and I think it is quite a bit warmer than my CX-5 with brown/sand seats, especially after a full day sitting outside in the 100 heat in Houston. I don't think it would have been a deal breaker if only Black were available, but I do prefer the sand color.

What is the exterior color of the Mazda6?

What is the exterior color of the CX-5?

Or are both the same color?

I frequently use my CX-5 in Central Valley area of CA with lots of sun and mid-90+ F temps, the black interior is non-issue.

The biggest factor in determining interior temperature in hot sunny weather is exterior paint color, although keeping sunroof sunshade closed is important too.

This has always been one of my few issues with Mazda! They offer a limited number of exterior colors compared to most competitors. Then they further limit color combo options by making Black interior mandatory with some of the already limited exterior color choices.

I have a 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring and I wanted the ‘Sand’ Leather interior. I liked the Black Leather fine, but the Sand interior has two-tone leather seats that look awesome and that’s why I chose it over the Black. The CX-9 only came in six colors in 2012 and five of them were available with Sand interior. The only one that wasn’t was the Liquid Silver which only came with Black. Of course, Liquid Silver was my favorite color, but I ended up going with Crystal White Pearl to get the light interior.

I also have a 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback that I bought new in December 2005. It is Titanium Gray and I had two choices for interior- Black/Red checked cloth or solid Black Leather….I went with the Black/Red cloth because it looked great and cost less. I live in the Atlanta, GA area, so we have similar weather to you guys in Florida. It’s HOT and HUMID from mid –Spring to mid-Fall (at least).

The only time I even give the Black interior a second thought is when the car is parked out in heat, not in a parking garage at work or in my garage at home. The interior heats up very quickly and it’s sweltering for a few minutes until the A/C cools it down. I’m glad I chose Cloth because Leather would be a lot worse (and painful to sit on) in the heat.

A few years ago, I finally bought one of those silver reflective folding windshield screens. I have found that putting it up to cover the windshield makes a noticeable difference how quickly the interior heats and how hot it gets! Here’s a link to one for the CX-5-

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx5-windshield-sunscreen.html

On the CX-5 Touring, you can choose either Black or Sand interior with the Jet Black, Soul Red or Crystal White Pearl exterior and Sand is standard with Stormy Blue. On the Grand Touring model, Soul Red only comes with Black interior but it is otherwise the same as the Touring. You might want to expand your search to a larger area to find one with Sand interior, if it’s important to you.

Honestly, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Mazda with a Black interior, especially it’s Cloth. I wouldn’t let it deter you from purchasing a CX-5.

I live in Texas, over 100deg lately and high humidity. I keep my shade closed, and I have a fold up window shade. The car get's hot but not hot enough that the seats/steering wheel burn. the dash get's super hot though, they have dash covers for the cx-5 if you like those. I wouldn't fret over black seats, living in a hot place you should get window tint at least to help with that.

I typically get silver for exterior, but this time around got white and could not get the black interior. Living in the Atlanta area I thought about the heat issue, but for me I was more nervous about the activities that I participate in that would no doubt at some point transfer grease or dirt that could ruin light colored cloth.

Just this week I added solid black Wet Okole seat covers for protection and to hide dirt/grease stains if it happens. So far there has not been a noticeable change of interior temperature while sitting under full sun at work comparing the sand seat color to the black neoprene. In fact the neoprene is supposed to be hot as it is since it does not breathe like other materials, but I find them to be rather comfortable so far.

Some of the difference that has helped and noted by Chris was that I got my front side windows 40% and windshield tinted 70% using the 3M Crystalline, which supposedly has the highest UV rejection rate compared to other 3M tints. Being new to tinting I thought color had more to do with heat control, but it is the material and not the % darkness. Anyway I got the tint done before adding the black seat covers.

The only thing remaining for me to fear ruining is the sand door panel cloth and I just try to make sure I don't have bike grease or road grime on my arms when I get in the car. I like the looks of sand, but in my case with the activities that I do black interior would have been more functional.

Last edited:
Felt_Rider - Good points regarding the tint. The factory Touring and GT rear windows tint helps reduce the heat load, and I've added 3M Color Stable 35% tint to my 2 front windows which has decent heat rejection qualities. Since most of us have Touring and GT CX-5's we are enjoying reduced heat load via glass w/standard equipment when compared to stock sedans/hatches (which are not allowed by US regs to have factory rear tint).

Last edited:
I have a silver sport model with black interior and had all windows tinted 40% except windshield and have not had a problem with hot seats or getting the car cooled off. In fact I noticed on longer trips since having the windows tinted that quite often we are cold with the AC at the lowest setting!

had all windows tinted 40% except windshield

Please don't do the windshield, I got a ticket for doing it my 1998 Accord, not sure if he hated my 20s sitting low on Tein coilovers, but I still had to take it off and wasted $100 to get it done. You can tell if someone has them using polarized sun glasses. Regarding the heat, yes it will hot when you get inside, but I have dogs and their paws will get everything dirty. So if you want a light interior, just get seat covers imo.

Last edited:
I typically get silver for exterior, but this time around got white and could not get the black interior. Living in the Atlanta area I thought about the heat issue, but for me I was more nervous about the activities that I participate in that would no doubt at some point transfer grease or dirt that could ruin light colored cloth.

Just this week I added solid black Wet Okole seat covers for protection and to hide dirt/grease stains if it happens. So far there has not been a noticeable change of interior temperature while sitting under full sun at work comparing the sand seat color to the black neoprene. In fact the neoprene is supposed to be hot as it is since it does not breathe like other materials, but I find them to be rather comfortable so far.

Some of the difference that has helped and noted by Chris was that I got my front side windows 40% and windshield tinted 70% using the 3M Crystalline, which supposedly has the highest UV rejection rate compared to other 3M tints. Being new to tinting I thought color had more to do with heat control, but it is the material and not the % darkness. Anyway I got the tint done before adding the black seat covers.

The only thing remaining for me to fear ruining is the sand door panel cloth and I just try to make sure I don't have bike grease or road grime on my arms when I get in the car. I like the looks of sand, but in my case with the activities that I do black interior would have been more functional.

What color is the carpeting with the Sand interior on the CX-5? My CX-9 has Sand Leather but the carpeting is Black. If the carpet had been light-colored (sand/beige), it would've been a deal-breaker. I also doubt that I could cope Sand Cloth seats or door panels, they'd be trashed in no time! But at least leather wipes clean and much more stain resistant.

BTW, the 'cloth' seats in my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door are closer to neoprene than any other fabric. They're very comfortable and still look like new after almost eight years, but they're not exactly plush or upscale looking. Then again, the mid-level Mazda6 Touring has "leatherette" (pleather) interior, how classy is that?

We have a pearl white CX5 with black leather interior, we had installed SunTek tint film CXP35 in the front windows, that gives 53% Total Solar Energy Rejection and 99% UV Rejection.
That and a reflective winshield protector, takes care of the issues.

What color is the carpeting with the Sand interior on the CX-5? My CX-9 has Sand Leather but the carpeting is Black.
The roof and pillars, seats and door inserts are Sand. Everything else (incl. carpet) is black.

I live in Texas and have had black interior in my black Mazda3, and didn't find it to be too hot. At least, not hotter than grey/beige interiors i had in other csars previously. Here, like in Florida, everything gets hot no matter what the color of the car's exterior/interior

I have 3M ceramic tint (Crystaline?) on all my windows. Clear on windshield, rear 5(over factory tinted glass) & 30% on the front 2 side windows. Had not used the front windshield shade all summer & steering wheel & seats(black leather) are not scrotcing hot while getting into the car.

Latest posts

Back