Black Rims (2017 CX-5 Touring)

Hi all - brand new to this forum, and going to be a new Mazda driver shortly!

Been digging through the forums and wanted to get some opinions/pics to help me make my decision. I'm going to be getting a car similar to the picture listed below with those OEM rims, and was curious if anyone had them plastidip/powder coated in black (gloss or matte). Would love to see the difference and or hear your opinions on matte vs glossy with these rims, or if I should buy a different set of black rims than these OEM silver. Thanks all!

1602784559606.png

Plastidip is more of a temporary coating. Powdercoat is much more durable as it is meant to be a permanent finish.

Plastidip can be applied with minimal effort. It's cheap (and IMO is also looks cheap). Powdercoating is a much more involved process. Tires and sensors need to be removed from the rim, then reinstalled after the rims have been powdercoated.

Gloss black is better than flat black IMO, primarily because gloss black will be easier to keep clean.

I think it'll look fine on those wheels, but to be honest I've never been a big fan of black wheels.

This thread has almost 2000 replies. You should find some inspiration and examples of different wheel styles in there. Here's one recent example of black 18s on a white 2nd gen CX-5.

Gloss black will definitely go with the glossy white finish. Powder coating will be as good as Factory. Also, somebody here should be able to help you with a Photoshop of your current picture

Gloss black will definitely go with the glossy white finish. Powder coating will be as good as Factory. Also, somebody here should be able to help you with a Photoshop of your current picture
It's the snow pearl white exterior color. And yeah would be curious to see how they look photoshopped on stock before I decide on another set of wheels. Thank you!

If you've never had powder coating done before, you'll be pleased and surprised how absolutely brilliant they look. I don't think you can go wrong with gloss black.

Welcome @mparmenter13 and thanks for joining up! Excellent responses from the Community so far, keep us updated on your progress if you can...Looking forward to see how things turn out.

I would point out the stock rims are NOT silver, but actually gunmetal (metallic dark grey). I actually love the stock color and I would suggest that once you see them in person, you might too.

Back