Bird? Plane? Underguards?

markman69

:
2007 CX-7
Ok, been waiting or some feedback regarding the quality of the front and rear underguards, but it appears that nobody has taken the plunge yet. The underguards look nice, but I am concerned that they won't last more than a year under severe driving conditions, i.e. snow/winter. Here's my dilema... have the aero package sitting in by basement and I plan to have the rear spoiler installed next week Friday. I'm guessing that the front underguard won't work with the air splitter/spoiler that comes with the aero package. I like the underguards, but don't want to invest in them if they are going to fall apart after one or two winters (silver covered plastic). However, if the quality/workmanship is good, I'd like to get the underguards for the front and rear and pass on the installation of the front air splitter/spoiler. Bottom-line, can anyone give me any first-hand experience/input regarding the quality of the underguards?(drive2)

Attachments

• DSC01382.jpg
    DSC01382.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 756
  • CX7frontscuff.jpg
    CX7frontscuff.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 791
  • CX7rearscuff.jpg
    CX7rearscuff.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:
If you have the front part of the Aero kit you cannot install the front scuff plate, I assume they are plastic, and will last a very long time, they have to, Mazda would not put out an OEM part for the CX-7 without testing it for extreme conditions.

I'd be interested to know if the rear scuff plate is paintable? I'd like to see it in flat black, sort of like the grille finish.

i ordered the rear one last week so hopefully i'll have a chance to put it on next weekend and post some impressions/pics. I'm sure it's paintable repo .. with a little sanding & priming what isn't!

has anyone installed the rear scuff plate on their own? It doesn't look to hard from the instructions but i did not realize i would have to take the rear bumper off.. just wondering if it's as easy at it seems or if i should take it to a shop.

Wow, didn't realize you have to take the bumper off to install the rear underguard. If it were me, I'd take it to a body shop to have it installed. Anyone know if you have to take the front bumper off to install the front underguard?

Bump

Anyone know if you have to take the front bumper off to install the front underguard?

Bueller? Bueller?

yes you have to take it off.. i am going to do my front lip spoiler this weekend.. i took the plunge and installed the rear scuff plate a few weeks ago. It was pretty freaking easy once i got over the "what the hell am i doing taking the rear bumper off with no experience" thing.

it's just a plastic shell that clips onto the body and is held in place with a few screws. It took me an hour and a half going VERY carefully to do the scuff plate. I anticipate less than an hour to do the front spoiler since i'm not scared anymore ;)

the places to drill are marked from the factory on the rear side of the bumper.. totally foolproof if you have the most mild of handyman experience.

note: my cx-7 is an '08 GT and there were 2 more (one on each side) screws up in the wheel well behind the liner holding the rear bumper on than the instructions stated. other than figuring that out it was paint by numbers and i think the fit was even better when i put it back on.

note2: the front lip is 2 pcs (right & left) that connect in the middle. I hadn't noticed it in the pics and hadn't seen one in person so i was mildly surprised at the length of the package when it showed up.

Last edited:
yes you have to take it off.. i am going to do my front lip spoiler this weekend.. i took the plunge and installed the rear scuff plate a few weeks ago. It was pretty freaking easy once i got over the "what the hell am i doing taking the rear bumper off with no experience" thing.

it's just a plastic shell that clips onto the body and is held in place with a few screws. It took me an hour and a half going VERY carefully to do the scuff plate. I anticipate less than an hour to do the front spoiler since i'm not scared anymore ;)

the places to drill are marked from the factory on the rear side of the bumper.. totally foolproof if you have the most mild of handyman experience.

note: my cx-7 is an '08 GT and there were 2 more (one on each side) screws up in the wheel well behind the liner holding the rear bumper on than the instructions stated. other than figuring that out it was paint by numbers and i think the fit was even better when i put it back on.

note2: the front lip is 2 pcs (right & left) that connect in the middle. I hadn't noticed it in the pics and hadn't seen one in person so i was mildly surprised at the length of the package when it showed up.

(deadhorse Can anyone tell me about the FRONT UNDERGUARD/SCUFF PLATE install?

PixelPusher - Post some pics when you get the front air splitter/spoiler installed as well as the rear underguard. Thanks

Mark

(deadhorse Can anyone tell me about the FRONT UNDERGUARD/SCUFF PLATE install?

PixelPusher - Post some pics when you get the front air splitter/spoiler installed as well as the rear underguard. Thanks

Mark

i can pretty safely guess it is almost exactly the same as the splitter install in every step except for where you drill the holes to attach it. they are marked differently than the spots to drill for the splitter.

there were around 8-10 screws/pins to remove and then the front bumper just snaps off like the back.. you have to take it off to be able to see the marked places to drill the new holes. pull the bumper partially off .. disconnect the fog lights if you have them and pull it the rest of the way off.... drill the holes.. attach the part with some new bolts they give you and put it all back together.. took me about 1.5 hours to do the front splitter by myself.

I will try to take some pics this week now that i have everything done that i plan on doing for the time being.

Last edited:
wow, way for me to bring back the dead.

i'm trying to find scuff plates like the ones you guys installed, but i can't find them anywhere. where'd you get yours? it seems the mazda websites don't carry them anymore.

Back