Bigger size tire recommendations. 205/55/16 ok??

badboyeee

:
2002 mazda protege5 upgrading to a 2003
I currently have 205/50/16 Yokohama S-Drives on stock rims but want a change of feel for my next set.

I want something that will last longer and ride smoother for passenger comfort. So I'm thinking about going with some 205/55/16's. I will probably will lose some handling but hope the difference will not be like night and day. I had my fun with taking turns but since my P5 is older now, I'm already starting to drive more conservatively. I don't want to lose steering response tho.

Would 195/55/16 & 215/50/16 be ideal sizes as well?? Please recommend me some tires. Thanks (2thumbs)

Edit: Also if anyone can share pics of there P5 with bigger tires, I'm thinking it would look better with meatier tires..

Last edited:
FYI: If you want 205 or 215 width you need to get them in 45 or 40 aspect ratio. If you don't you'll run into clearance issues with the bottom of the strut tower. Also a wider tire means you'll loose mpgs.

Im running a 205/50/16 tire on a lowered car with no issues hitting the strut . . . the fender lip is another question :)

I currently have 205/50/16 Yokohama S-Drives on stock rims but want a change of feel for my next set.

I want something that will last longer and ride smoother for passenger comfort. So I'm thinking about going with some 205/55/16's. I will probably will lose some handling but hope the difference will not be like night and day. I had my fun with taking turns but since my P5 is older now, I'm already starting to drive more conservatively. I don't want to lose steering response tho.

Would 195/55/16 & 215/50/16 be ideal sizes as well?? Please recommend me some tires. Thanks (2thumbs)

Edit: Also if anyone can share pics of there P5 with bigger tires, I'm thinking it would look better with meatier tires..
With taller tires people might mistake it for a Subaru Outback.
icon4.gif
You probably already know your speedo reads low with the higher profile tires. And it takes a good bite out of your low end performance.

Here's a calculator to see how much each size affects the speedo. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

205/45s are a good fit. The steering might feel heavier and I think it probably corners best with the stock 195/45-16s. But it'll look cool.
icon10.gif

Last edited:
FYI: If you want 205 or 215 width you need to get them in 45 or 40 aspect ratio. If you don't you'll run into clearance issues with the bottom of the strut tower. Also a wider tire means you'll loose mpgs.
My 205 width with 50 aspect ratio clears just fine, it seems i have a inch left..

I would just change for some falken tires, the softer rubber makes the ride alot smoother
hmm my impression on falkens from few years ago is that they have poor tread life.. but ill look into them again

With taller tires people might mistake it for a Subaru Outback.
icon4.gif
You probably already know your speedo reads low with the higher profile tires. And it takes a good bite out of your low end performance.

Here's a calculator to see how much each size affects the speedo. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

205/45s are a good fit. The steering might feel heavier and I think it probably corners best with the stock 195/45-16s. But it'll look cool.
icon10.gif
hah maybe the outback look is what im kinda going for.. maybe not that exaggerated i believe they have a 65 height ratio on their tires. i for sure dont wanna go smaller than what i have now (205/50/16).. thanks for the calculator link

Here's another good tire calculator:

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
thanks!

Back