Big turbo setup

zx2man

:
2009 mazdaspeed 3
Sooooo the quest for more power is there...so doing alittle research im thinking of going this direction

AP tuning GT3071r Turbo kit
PG FMIC *will replace my ETS 3.5 tmic*
3 inch inlet pipe-either CP-E or AP tuning

This will go along with my other mods-

Cobb Downpipe
Cobb Intake
PT-performance CDFP

I would like to stick with my stock manifold..But might go PG.....Hoping to be around 380 whp...how accurate is that..how am I looking here fellas?

EDIT-forgot to mention ummmmmm- going with Arius Pistons and Pauter forge rods package before going this direction.

Last edited:
get a B5 audi S4. Stage 3. Youll make close to 450 hp on 93 oct. Have the most beautiful car in the world, and Quattro...

Jkjk, thats what I want. SOunds good you might want to look into rods and pistons from PG... what kind of boost levels you planning on running?

hahah :) Thanks big daddy for reminding me...Yeah I made the edit to my post..ummmm as for psi..I really dont know yet.....as for Audi B5...heck yeah those are very nice cars...Huge potential...maybe we can go halves on one and well just have joint custody of it! haha...................................... *whipser* I get it for the summer :p

hahah :) Thanks big daddy for reminding me...Yeah I made the edit to my post..ummmm as for psi..I really dont know yet.....as for Audi B5...heck yeah those are very nice cars...Huge potential...maybe we can go halves on one and well just have joint custody of it! haha...................................... *whipser* I get it for the summer :p

dont mean to steer this thread in the wrong direction...but my older brother actually has one.

here you go. this is his cardomain. probably hasnt been updated in 2 yrs., but it looks the same

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/751379/3

Maybe I can go with the gt3076r Turbo....18psiwhitems3 is making 380 whp@18psi on stock internals with a good tune. I got Tim Baily of Surgeline 100 miles away so no worries there...Im trying to make more power in the upper rpm while lowering my power in the lower rpm....but still want to have a good daily driver....so im making 300 wtq at 2700 rpm...so if ican up that to around 4000 range..prabaly be alot safer on my engine..course I really dont know what im talking about 100%...but I do tend to be on the school of thought that the gobs of power down superlow on the rpm range is atleast partly responsible for alot of the blown engines...anyways just some thoughts..would love to hear from others who have done big turbo builds are going to in the future :)

You'll need a catless 3inch TBE... And I highly reccomend you get the PG turbo manifold.

CATLESS??...I have Cobb catted tbe..Im sure I can still run catted for a 3076r turbo setup...But yes I do plan on getting the PG external wastegate manifold....what kind of torque curve will you think ill be at? I would like to make high torque in the upper rpms compared to making 300lb @2900 like I am now. Thank you for the input Saskatchewan :)

The 3071r wont get you over 350. I wouldn't advise the 3076r.

I would get the gt35r or the new race roots turbo setup. They are pushing 420whp.

why not the 3076r??? 18psiwhitems3 is making 380 whp on a healthy 18 psi tune from Akuma. Isnt the gt35 a bigger turbo than the 3076? I dont want or need 500 hp..as for the race roots kit..its awesome..but I would have to go backwards on alot of my parts to go with them. I have to get thier downpipe and manifold..once again its awesome kit..but my budget is around 3 grand..maybe 4 at the most right now..I dont got 6 grand for the kit. Thanks Coyfish..if im wrong about the 3076r not being a good turbo then please say so..Im just asking questions here and love the input :)

I mean........ please explain WHY the gt3076 turbo would be bad choice and why the gt35 is better for a daily driver. Sorry for any confusion.

It spools higher than the gt35 and the 3071r if im not mistaken. Not the most user friendly turbo for our cars imo. Just my opinion. I have also seen more cars using gt35's making 350+ than 3076r's. Im sure whitems3 can explain his opinion better than me though. Im just giving my thoughts based on what I have read. I could be wrong about the 76.

Well from talking to Ken @ pg he saying the same thing..the gt35r will have power in the higher rpm range..which I knew..just carious how it would be for daily driving..honestly..if im not hualing ass..I dont need power just putting around town and to school..Im thinking the gt35r would start spooling around 4k..is that safe assumption..ball park anyways..more than likly I will go forged internals route first....I just see what race roots is doing..making all that power in the higher rpms and they havnt poped....yet...*knock on wood* and that add more power bug has hit me too..great advice coyfish..thank you.

The issue with our cars really isn't the higher rpms. Its so much torque down low. We don't need so much torque at 2800ish rpm. For that reason I never mash the gas until im at least 3500 rpms.

Anyway race roots has their dynosheet posted in their thread. Its a perfect power curve.

Mark at SU has the gt40r and his spools at 4K.

The issue with our cars really isn't the higher rpms. Its so much torque down low. We don't need so much torque at 2800ish rpm. For that reason I never mash the gas until im at least 3500 rpms.

Anyway race roots has their dynosheet posted in their thread. Its a perfect power curve.

Mark at SU has the gt40r and his spools at 4K.

Exactly..that curve makes my mouth water.....and same with me..I dont mash on the pedal till 3500 rpm either. Going forged is ideal..but sheez alot of money..12-1300 bucks for pistons&rods..fine..I can deal with that..but the install of those parts from what i hear is around 2000 bucks..thats just too much..Im fairly decent with the wrench and with the exception of the tune on my car ive done everything to it myself..But I dont have a engine hoist nor building experience to really go at it on my own. But you gotta pay to play right..haha...PAY ALOT! :)

you could always do an e85/93 mix and make 350 hp and 400 tq for like 1/5 the price. just an idea, and im sure you have done something by now haha

Back