Big different between iSport and touring/GT?

Worker

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport AT
Hey everyone, I'm looking to purchase a 14/15 Mazda CX-5. A local dealer has some 2014 certified pre-owned CX-5s for sale which seem at a fair price. I'm 25, single with no kids and will mainly use my vehicle for commuting to work. I live near Atlanta, so don't think I'll need AWD. I'm thinking the basic model iSport should do what I need, but is the acceleration weak with it? I read that it's 155HP with a 2.0 ltr engine vs the 187HP and 2.5 ltr engine. This is my first vehicle financing and I intend on keeping this vehicle after I pay it off. The other features the touring gets like BSM and rear view camera seem neat but not necessary.

Any recommendations?

Edit: I can't spell difference. :(

I think you will be happy with the Sport model but, I picked the Touring because I wanted the " upgraded" upholstery and back up camera. Since your financing, I'd go for the Sport unless you find a really really good priced Touring. PS I have spelling problems to, so I use the ieSpell frequently.:))

The 2.0 has worse resale value. Definitely drive the 2.5 and 2.0 before deciding. Remember to snap the throttle half way to get computer to downshift or both will seem slow. Keep in mind the 2.5 is 1.6 seconds faster 0-60mph and still gets great MPG.

Last edited:
Like everyone says, biggest difference between the base and upper trims is the 2.5L engine and standard 6sp automatic. Mazda's automatic is very nice.
Another question to ask yourself is if you need the AWD option or not. I live in a part of the country where it's hard to live without AWD.

If you live in Atlanta, BSM will really come in handy. I didn't think it would be all that, but it's an awesome safety feature that actually works.. May save you from an accident one day. Also, since 15s are already out, you will lose a year's worth of depreciation on the '14 straight out the gate. Not sure if you drive a lot at night but the tech package's adaptive HID are also awesome and worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
Have you considered the Mazda 6? It seems more appropriate for a bachelor, unless you're looking for a little extra cargo space. Overall, the two are quite similar.

Hey everyone, I'm looking to purchase a 14/15 Mazda CX-5. A local dealer has some 2014 certified pre-owned CX-5s for sale which seem at a fair price. I'm 25, single with no kids and will mainly use my vehicle for commuting to work. I live near Atlanta, so don't think I'll need AWD. I'm thinking the basic model iSport should do what I need, but is the acceleration weak with it? I read that it's 155HP with a 2.0 ltr engine vs the 187HP and 2.5 ltr engine. This is my first vehicle financing and I intend on keeping this vehicle after I pay it off. The other features the touring gets like BSM and rear view camera seem neat but not necessary.

Any recommendations?

Edit: I can't spell difference. :(

If you can weasel into an AWD for a good price, definitely go that route. Just think of all that snow Atlanta got this year. :) Also, I agree with Skorpia in that the HID headlights with AFS are absolutely worth the price of admission.

Don't get 2L, even in manual.

Get 2.5L Touring.

Also, the Grand-Touring has lower profile tires that are both harder to get(fewer choices in brands and tires), and much more expensive tires.

The Sport and Touring both have a higher profile tire that you have a lot more choices, and are more reasonably priced.

I have the 2015 Touring

Wow, thank you everyone for the replies. Well, it came down to a 2014 CPO Mazda cx-5 sport and a 2014 cx-5 touring. I love the extra acceleration in the touring but felt the sport was more than adequate for my basic driving needs. So I'm locked with this guy for the next five years. Went with the Stormy blue mica. It's a nice upgrade from my aging mazda tribute. Maybe my next crossover will be a full loaded cx-5 in five years. ;-) I got this guy for slightly above 20k before taxes etc. It's right below 11k miles. Being CPO with all the warranties, I feel I have a safe, reliable ride.

Thanks again everyone for the help! Sorry for the huge post lol I'm just so happy this is my first "big" vehicle purchase.

Congrats man! That sounds like a good deal with CPO. Be sure to post some pics when you can! (thumb)

My 2.0 sport could do 0-60 mph in 8.4 seconds measured with my G-tech. My 2.5 can only manage a traction limited 7.5 seconds. My 2.0 could get 35 mpg consistently with mostly highway driving. My 2.5 can get that too but you really have to employ all the tricks or you'll most likely get 32.5 mpg. The 2.0 handles a little better and is responsive in city driving but is lethargic on the highway on-ramps with any uphill grade or in the rain. The 2.5 has better low end torque and is a more relaxed engine and when pushed gets up and goes pretty decent for an SUV with four pots. Both CX5's are in my opinion too loud during freeway driving but the 2.5 gives the impression that it's a little quieter because the engine doesn't work as hard. I feel that the 2.0 at times was more fun to drive but that the improvements that come with the higher trims (Touring and up) are worth the extra money, especially the backup camera, flatter folding rear seats, tinted windows, and blind spot. I also drove a 2.0 manual for an hour before setting on the Touring I have now and I thought I wanted it but couldn't understand why my automatic 2.0 felt much faster in comparison.

I drove MT 2.0L for 17K miles/1year. I got 2.5L and have driven one for about same time. I got used to it and would still strongly opt for 2.5L engine.

Lately, I had 2.0 GT as a loaner for 2 days so I could compare current 2.5L and loaner 2.0L again. I was shocked how bad 2.0L AT really is. I hate to say it but it seemed to be dangerous to drive especially on the highway.

Back