Bi-amping?

ARunto

Contributor
:
'03 Black Mica #226
I'm currently wondering if I should bi-amp my front components. Currently I have a Autotek SX-5750 5-channel amp. I'm running the front two channels to my components in the front and the sub channel I'm pushing a 8" Koda. I've been contemplating to power my tweeters with the front channels and then the mids with the rear channels. Does bi-amping have any benefits?

-Alan

the real advantage of bi-amping isthat you can run an active crossover, and get rid of the passives alltogether, this allows you to cary slope/frequency of integration. also you can adjust gains a bit to get your volumes matched properly. DO your crossovers currently have inputs for bi-amping or would you be running some other form of crossover?

I would run the active crossover that's built into the amp. The rear channels have band pass capability.

-Alan

ARunto said:
I would run the active crossover that's built into the amp. The rear channels have band pass capability.

-Alan

that's getting a bit iffy. it can be dangerous using the amps x-overs for bi-amping components. if you are going to do it, use either the passives (if they allow bi-amplification) or buy an active x-over that will allow you to adjust the x-over points.

Poseur is right on the money for the advantages.

The best way to layout a 5-channel amp for SQ is to bridge the front channels and the rear channels to create a 3-channel amp. You will get much more power to your components. Sending 75x2 to tweeters and 75x2 to drivers just doesn't compare to sending 300x2 to the set. Sure, 300x2 might be a little overkill, but 75x2 to a pair of tweeters is just wasting power.

Most passive crossovers have attenuation switches/knobs which eliminate the need to bi-amp since all you should really be doing is adjusting the gain. If you go messing with the crossover points you risk damaging the tweeter. The maker of the component set has chosen the high and low pass frequencies to create the smoothest curve so why mess with it.

chuyler...i think what you mentioned is what i will do. i'm gonna bridge it today to see how it works.

-Alan

I did the same thing with my PPI 5440 (granted it was only 30x4+120x1) and never went back. Let us know how you like it.

Back