Better Oil Filter At Dealer For Protege

Brian MP5T

Banned
Contributor
:
MP5T / 944
I was looking for a better oil filter after I installed my turbo and found that there were a couple of companies like Fram that make filters, but nothing that I would call "Higher Performance". My mazda dealer suggested that I use the 626 Turbo filter as it would be a direct fit to the 2.0 DOHC block and that because it was designed for the 626 Turbo, it has a diferent pop valve inside that would divert oil around the filter under hard driving conditions to keep pressure and flow rates up!

The housing is twice as large as the stock one, fits with lots of room to spare and if size = more filter element. I think it is a great cheap thing to do. Here is a part number...

MAZDA-F2Y0-14-302A-CA

Enjoy!!

hmmm... i use the 626 filter which is bigger then the proteg one, but i dont believe it is for the 626 turbo.. I want even aware they made a 626 turbo.

I put a WIX filter for a Mazda 626 into my car. Wix are pretty inexpensive and among the best oil filters. :)

paulmp3 said:
hmmm... i use the 626 filter which is bigger then the proteg one, but i dont believe it is for the 626 turbo.. I want even aware they made a 626 turbo.
Yes Paul at one time mazda did make a turbo 626. They were produced at the same times when they had the turbo MX-6. I believe they were from 88-92 model years. I too use the taller 626 filter on my car. Working at a mazda dealership in the parts dept gives me plenty of time to investigate such things.

paulmp3 said:
wasnt the turbo mx6 a 2.2L?? The filter still fits though??
Yes Paul they all pretty much fit. Mazda before Ford got their hands involved only used to use 2 oil filters, the short and long versions that fit our cars and these filters even fit the 98 and older MPV'S and the old style mazda trucks before they were ford rangers w/ mazda skins. Now that Mazda has the 6, and tribute they use ford filters.

i use the 626 filter as per Ken's suggestion at protegegarage...i would suggest ordering from him, the shipping was quick, and you would be supporting a forum member...i cant remember how much i paid but it was cheap as hell...

good info. I had heard that the 626 oil filter would fit. I didnt know there was a 626 turbo... i will look into this since i have an oil change coming up :D

I was unaware of the 2.2L Turbo filters fitting, I know though that the KL V6 filters are a little longer than stock and fit without a problem...

Brian MP5T said:
UPDATED PART

G6Y0-14-302A-CA

The Old One was Discontinued...

the larger filter will not fit a Mazdaspeed Protege I have been told - true?

hmm...ive been using the JEY0-14-302-9A filters...is this better than what im currently using?

Captain KRM P5 said:
the larger filter will not fit a Mazdaspeed Protege I have been told - true?

There is no diference. The MSP has the same bad engine as the P5. The filter is just 2 inches longer... There is still a foot before it hits the firewall..

fLyPiNoY7 said:
hmm...ive been using the JEY0-14-302-9A filters...is this better than what im currently using?

Crap Dude. I don't have a ...JEY0-14-302-9A to compare it to... I would ask the service guy to see one side by side, then you can figure it out I guess.

Back