Best way to get 10psi???

boost controller
either manual or electronic...
good luck... should research more before you go BOOM

what's your setup now? if you got an external wastegate you could just put a higher pressure spring
10psi is like the limit on the stock motor(so i hear)... i've never taken that risk yet... highest i went was 9#'s and quickly turned it back down

Yeah i had a cheap boost controller once it did nothing... as for my setup: AEM cold air intake, FMIC... hard pipes bov is on the cold side???????? does that matter?....cat has been cut off and is has crappy small muffler im thinking about just running the downpipe

Oh yeah and my car messed up really bad a few months ago i had to replace the 02 sensor, and MAF the maf i got of a wreck 2002 protege lx???? it was the same part number so i figured it would work but my car keep cuttin out alot but im guessing its just the cold at least thats what everyone else seems to think

its not wise to just go for 10psi on this turbo and this engine with just the modifications you have. running open downpipe, well i think a turboback exhaust is preferable for alot of reasons, but yes better exhaust flow is pretty vital to making safe power at 10psi or more.

i'd want to have a wideband and some kind of fuel control before i went up to 10psi on this car. granted, that costs real money, but having to replace a blown engine from doing this the wrong way will cost you more.

^Ken knows what he's talking about

don't get a cheapo boost controler... controling boost is very important...
but more important is fuel management and wideband like the pikachu said
i've ran a search and here's what i came up with... and how
someone hooked up there boost controler
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123679286&highlight=boost+controller
10psi boom and 10psi safe is going to cost a lot of $ either way

Last edited:
I have had the spring mod on my car for about a week got 8psi but took it off.. Yeah idk what the deal with this car is the guy who had it before me had it up to 15psi but he had somemore mods on it along with intercooled nitrous but beside that i do not really know what they were it ran ok at 8psi i would be happy with 8 again but i dont want to use the rigged spring mod.. I just need to ideas im very confused about what to do

I have had the spring mod on my car for about a week got 8psi but took it off.. Yeah idk what the deal with this car is the guy who had it before me had it up to 15psi but he had somemore mods on it along with intercooled nitrous but beside that i do not really know what they were it ran ok at 8psi i would be happy with 8 again but i dont want to use the rigged spring mod.. I just need to ideas im very confused about what to do

what the prior owner had done sounds like a recipe for catastrophe

yeah i dont want to go the route he did but i wouldn't mind making a little extra power.

Last edited:
Bottom line: the MSP is about handling, not straight power. Forget about the drag strips and find some winding mountain roads.

Yeah I know all about curvy roads I live in a Small town in kentucky ...I just get tired of all the ingnorant Rednecks and thier Mustangs...

Study this thread...
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123677826
When I say study I literally mean that. Take a couple days to go through it let it soak in and take notes.
You say this guy was boosting 15 psi and had nitrous?? He must have been spraying the outside of the intercooler with that cause I don't see a MSP running 15 psi, and nitrous lasting more then one pull. Do you know if this guy forged the motor or welded the LSD and for some reason didn't tell you when you bought it?

You wanna boost 10 psi reliably, then get your car running PERFECT under stock conditions first. Invest in a wideband and boost gauge for starters.

Make sure that your vacuum is reading 20-24 in.Hg when idling to make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, and check what your maximum boost is currently set at. If you have a boost controller, I would suggest turning it all the way down or just removing it altogether. Stock boost is 6 psi, so make sure that's what your boost gauge reads.

Your wideband should give you a good idea of how prepared you are to crank up the boost. When idling and riding under vacuum, you should see AFRs of 14.3-15.5 or so. When boosting, they should be below 13.. preferably in the 11.2-12.5 range, but if you have the stock ECU then you might be seeing 10-11 cuz the stock tune is super rich. If you're in the orange or red under boost, you have some serious problems.. and you should not be boosting AT ALL.

Once you verify that your car is running good under STOCK conditions, THEN you can THINK about cranking up the boost. The CAI and FMIC is a good start, but you still have a few checkpoints to reach before 10 psi is safe. Make sure your exhaust is good.. you don't want any leaks here either.

Anyway, go over the thread that zuku pointed you to. It has lots of great info, but study the hell out of it. Understand the importance of every mod you do, and don't do anything before you know what it does and why you need it.

If you have further questions, ask away. Good luck (2thumbs)

I got a replacement waste gate and now i boost about 9.7 all the time. I don't even use my Greddy profec other than as a boost gauge now. This makes me a little weary still and I am going to get my unichip tuned next weekend just to play it safe.
To echo everyone else...
I would not mess with upping the boost until i had all my support mods and my UniChip or something else simular installed. Just my .02

I live in a Small town in kentucky...

Where do you live within Ky?

I agree on making sure your car is running up to terms normally first! With him running 15psi on this motor there's no telling what he has done. For some reason I have a feeling I know who you bought this car off of. Is his name Gary? May be not, but it just sounds like his car and I know he has been trying to sell it on nkyautosports.com.
Once everything is running normally I would go with supporting mods. First like Ken said get a turbo back exhaust. Airflow is important...

Whats the difference. Put on a boost controller if you blow it up it's not our fault. Just be careful.

Damn Bill when are you going to realize your car is one of those enigma's. One of only a hand full of MSPs that can handle high boost and not blow up. I think for now on you need to post a caption under your posts like this and let the readers know your car is special and that theirs will not respond like yours. J/K Bro... I won't be making the meet tomarrow but my car will be at Ken's in the a.m. for that work I PM'd you about. I hope I can have that work by him, if not I'm going to have to bring it to you, or find another place.

I bought the car off a car lot...this guy found me at a sumernites cruise in somerset ky looked over the car had me pop the trunk and he said it was his car he showed me the hole where he had the nitrous had been hooked up and yeah it was outside the intercooler and i do remeber him saying that he did have something done with the LSD He also said this MSP is one one of the only ones that didnt blow up at 15psi there is a guy on this fourm i think his user name is SeR_Cyclops i think he knows the guy who had my car and what was done to it oh yeah and to who ever asked what part of KY i live in its Wayne Co. but i also go to college at EKU (richmond ky) but anyways i want to know if this car is one of the factory freaks i just dont want to test it out just want to know so if i up my boost just a little bit i wont worry as much...but im going to try to find out what was done to this car and let everyone know because i am really curious myself.

Damn, he ran nitrous? I wonder how good the motor still is then. If anything, get bolt-ons: upgrade smic or fmic, intake, intake mani, full exhaust with a tune at stock boost. Running those mods will boost you at 7.8-8.5 psi. If you want more, get the Forge WGA and set it to 10 psi then a tune.

Back