Best way to change alternator belt?

nodrog321

:
Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys, so my alternator belt snapped and I need to put a new one in. What's the best way you guys recommend to do this? There is not much room to access the belts from above (from the hood). Also do I need to remove the power steering belt first in order to put on the alternator belt?

Yes you have to remove the power steering belt, both are very easy to do.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ternator-Power-Steering-Water-Pump-Pulley-Set
This thead has good pictures of all the hardware that must be loosened to replace the belts, disregard all the plugs and unhooking of lines all you have to do is loosen the bolts in the how-to and the PS pump and alt. will swing away when you loosen the adjustment bolt. When tightening remember to re-tighten the pivot bolts when done and make sure the belts are tight but not overtightened, you should be able to twist the belt almost 90* between pulleys.

Very nice. Not sure why I couldn't find that guide.

Thanks so much! Do you happen to know if the PS belt is the same as the alternator belt? I am waiting for a OEM alternator belt to arrive but since I am taking off the PS belt, I might as well replace that too.

Back