best way to add new sub/amp

mazdafreak7

:
03 MSP
hello, i recently bought my msp and id like to upgrade the system in it, i have a single 12" JL sub and alpine 600w mono subwoofer amp. the car already has a nice alpine head unit and im happy with the highs for now so id like to keep the head unit and highs. What is the best way to add the sub and amp? do i just remove the stock sub and amp and that whole deck box? or does that amp in the back next to the sub run the highs too? can i just do it like any other car? just run a new 4 gauge power and ground? and what about remote wire and rca jacks? should i use the current rca's and remote wire going to the stock kenwood amp? or should i run all new wires for everything on the new alpine amp? thanks ahead of time for any help!

Easiest way is to remove the old sub and amp and put your own in. The factory amp only powers the sub and removing it will not affect the rest of the system. The remote wire and RCAs should be sufficient. A new power and ground wire will be necessary.

ok so should i leave the plastic factory deck box in there? i mean i was planning on putting a whole new sub/box and amp in.. are the highs in the deck built into that box where the sub is? if so i guess ill have to leave the stock box in..

^^^
including the factory box. there are 4 bolts that hold it on the sides. and it just slides out. The highs are run off the head unit unless someone installed a second amp.

ok so i installed the 4 guage power wire today, thats as far as i got because i work on cars all day and sorry but after doing it for 9 hours a day i really dont have much motivation to work on my own s*** lol but anyways i guess im gonna stick with stock rcas and remote wire because i already had the whole s*** apart and didnt run new rca's cause i figured they would be alright..oh well we will see how they work. So tomorrow im going to run a new 4 gauge ground and then wire up the new amp/sub. and rip out all that factory s***. its to bad they didnt make it able to bump a little more then it does, i love the idea of that deck box, i absolutely hate a huge stupid box taking up my whole trunk..but im just puttin in a single 10 inch JL W7 so it dosent take up much space..nothing is worse then going to buy stuff and not being able to fit it in your trunk because a ******* speaker box! lol

can someone tell me what that little black box thing is near the trunk hinge on the drivers side? it looks like some wires go into it?? also how do you guys mount your boxes so they dont move around in the trunk?

mine is just velcroed to the carpet in the trunk. Make sure you use a cap or you will have dimming issues factory alternator is crap. I just mounted the cap and amp to my box so all i have to do is disconnect the cap and the sub amp and cap all come out as one unit. Makes it easy to save the weight when you go to the track.

yeah but at the same time it makes it easy for someone to break in and just grab everything in one shot without a problem..i know from experience.. I like to at least screw the amp to the back of rear seat so they would have to spend some extra time unscrewing it if they want it ya know..it would be great to have it all on the box but like i said easy theft deters me from doing that..

it's only easy if someone knows it's there. I live in a really quiet suburb of chicago. If they were gonna break in they would steal my head unit, wb and tru boost before they would even get to the sub. Again I'll take my chances.

Back