Best upgrade?

i really want to get this muffler http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1733 but i am not too sure how i want it on... just replace the muffler OR get a 3 inches custom cat back with the muffler OR take out the resonator and replace the muffler! i really dont care about horsepower or anything i just care about the sound lol i want it loud but not ricey! would all three of the option up there affect the emission?

It's a nice muffler, but for almost $400.... go to a muffler shop and find a replica for $200 and have them replace your factory muffler with that one. Straight, drifter, whatever.

THEN, after that, if you need more sound or a different sound, remove or start swapping resonators. Word of advice, if you are going to do downpipe or midpipe, do them first. The difference it makes to a cbe is kind of intense :D

would that muffler alone change the sound or make it louder?

Should do both

I think the resonator would change the quality of the sound more than a straight through muffler on the end, but I might be wrong. It will def be louder since you are removing the muffler/res#3

What kind of sound are you looking for? How loud do you want it? Check out the sound clips here for different set ups.

No muffler = very loud, very raspy
Remove 1st or 2nd reso alone -- louder and more drone
Remove both resos and keep muffler -- louder yet and much drone.

Personally, I'm into stealth power. DP/RP no cats and three, let me repeat this, 3 resos and the muffler. Big power bump, as quiet as stock and almost no drone. I'm stock from the RP back, with an additional reso - straight through design, in line in the RP. The stock cat back exhaust is completely straight through design. No power gain in changing that unless you are going to go above 300 whp. No other benefit unless you just want a louder or different sound. Oh, and I did downsize the tip from 4 inches to 3 1/2 non-rolled. It's almost invisible, still larger than the piping and very anti-rice.

Each to his own. I'd rather be seen (my tail lights getting smaller) than heard. That's just me.

Last edited:
Yes cats = catalytic converter. Like lestat said if you purchase a catback exhaust system you should pass cali emissions test. Saw a post somewhere in here of some guy in cali with a corksport who got pulled over. He had to remove it since corksport is catless :(. Bummer

Back