Best tire pressure for cornering at the track?

pomidor

Contributor
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
I have stock rims, Bridgestone-Potenza RE760 Sport tires (stock size), inflated to 33 PSI when the tires are warmed up. They preformed impressively at the track the other day (I just had them installed), but I'm wondering if there is an optimal tire pressure that would give me best cornering grip.

I'm asking because there were some guys (with older BMWs) at the track who had their tires inflated (just for the track occasion) to 40 psi - they said: to reduce tire roll.

My suspension is stock, with exception of the rear sway-bar bushings relocation kit (klunk fix) which reduced sway-bar flexing.
The tires I have, have reinforced sidewalls. They read: "max PSI under load: 50".
Turbo is running at about ~9.5 psi.

The track I visited, and will probably continue revisiting, has turns that I end up taking while in 2nd gear, although mostly in high-RPM.

I believe with track tires they run lower pressure around 29 psi but I think you are fine at 33.

You probably need to experiment with different pressures on different laps and see what feels best. I don't think there is one universal answer to your question.

For a taller tire you want to up the pressure to reduce roll, with a low profile tire like you have it's not necessary. This is what I was told by a local person that does auto cross. Another reason to up the pressure is for a rwd car to kick the ass around a bit for better cornering

Back