best oil to cure the occasional blue smoke problem

horNNEE

During the hot days of summer, on the hottest days, 90+ degrees, when I have the AC running if I stop at a stop light I'll have the dreaded blue smoke problem. I've been using 5w-30 for its whole life. I bought it brand new and it now has roughly 26,000 miles on it. It is an 08.5 ms3. Thanks for the help guys.

Mod list: Cobb SRI
Corksport catless midpipe
Corksport Cat-back exhaust.

ps. I apologize if this has been talked about before on these forums!

Turbo is done...You will need a replacement/rebuild. But the oil that you ask about is 5W40. And it will do absolutely nothing. If your car is still in warranty (which I assume it is) then just go to the dealer and replicate the problem. It will be covered under warranty if they can see the smoke. Just take your mods off before going :)

Good chance when you put it back to stock with the stock mid pipe the smoke will be gone and you'll not be able to reproduce it for warranty claims. Might be worth it to just try the 5W40 and the PTP pill just to see what happens. Not much of an investment if it works, especially when you consider time and effort to take it back to stock.

buy an oil catch can. switch to 5w-40 oil. and buy the ptp pill (i dunno if it actually works, but it doesn't hurt to try at this point). for me, my smoking turbo seems fixed (aka masked) by these three things

I used the pill for a bit, didn't work for s***. Take it into Mazda to have the update performed.

I really need to start looking at catch cans. This is preventative measure.
Some of these tricks like thicker oil, the PTP plug, and the catch can work for some people and not for others.
You don't have a lot of miles on that car. About the same as mine and same year too.
I blame the midpipe and the crappy PCV system on this car.

Thanks guys, I'll give 5w-40 and the ptp pill a shot. I feel like it wont smoke if I go to the dealer, because it will only happen like once a month if that. But I do personally know a mechanic at a local-ish mazda dealership, so I'll see if he can help me out at all. I just need it to last until next spring, I'm gonna try and sell it then.

If/When you take it to the dealer, drive the last mile or two keeping it in a low gear and at a high rpm (like over 3000rpm). This will heat the engine up and thin the oil so that it creeps past the seals. Then, when you get to the dealership, do not shut the car off whatsoever! Keep it at idle for 10+ minutes. Go in, tell them the issue--they will bulls*** you, so then tell them to come out and look at it...BOOM, smoking worse than a 90 year old grandma on an oxygen tank.

Mine refuses to smoke with the stock 2nd cat. Which pisses me off. My dealership didn't bat an eye... they just took my word for it.

The best "cure" for the smoking turbo is to get a device to raise engine rpm by about 200 rpm. Cobb AP or Hypertech both permit this. The problem, for those who have it, is almost always due to the poor design of the generation 1 MS3's positive crankcase ventillation (PCV) system. Upping idle works. Yeah, it'll cost you the price of a tuning solution, but it almost always works and is almost never the turbo. But you get a tuning solution that gives you more power and you get rid of the "smoking turbo" at idle.

Any dealer worth your business (you did shop around and research prior to buying the car) will either A) not care about the exhaust modifications, knowing enough to know that its not the cause of the problem, B) be aware that is a known issue on these motors and take your word on it without replication, or C) both. Shop around...you do know that any Mazdaspeed dealer is required to honor the Mazda warranty, even if you didn't buy the car from them, right?

What is a PTP pill? Is it similar to an oil line restrictor? Does anyone have any experience using an oil line restrictor on the stock turbo to try to get rid of the smoking turbo issue? Like horNNEE i only smoke once a month or so since I installed my 3" donwpipe. I do already have an oil catch can but i have been trying to find out what size of oil line restricot I could use if this would indeed work.

I have a CNT catted DP, Hypertech with idle raised, PTP pill, Oil Catch Can, and Shell Rotella 5W40. No smoke at all. I never smoked before the DP install, so I was very hesitant to do it, but the Hypertech really takes care of the issue in my opinion.

Back