Best non-directional tires?

RatLabGuy

Huh? What?
:
'03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)
Past time to replace the tires.
This round I'm looking mostly for comfort/quiet ride and decent weather handling over super-grip performance, since really this is my wife's car and is used for long family road trips etc (she appreciates a comfy ride more than my, er... "sprited" driving style)

Looking for suggestions - would probably go with the Ecsta 4X... except that after getting burned by alignment problems, I'd rather avoid a directional & asymmetric tire if possible. I just don't like not being able to properly rotate them.
*maybe* if it's directional but still symmetric, it's do-able 'cause I can at least re-mount them at the DIY shop.

Anyhow - suggestions for a comfy tire for this car that isn't directional?
And, what about moving up to a 215/5017 for a little more comfort? I wouldn't mind the height to not scrape the bumper anymore too ;-)

The Kumho Ecowing KH30 looks like a contender. I considered them when I had to put new tires on a few months ago, but the tire shop did not have them in stock. The tire salesman said the Ecowing was a great tire for comfort, low noise, good all-season performance, but emphasized comfort foremost. I was quoted $125.00 each for the 215/50/17 at the shop I was at, with a 2 day delivery time. I would have gotten them but I needed tires right then, and ended up with some great asymmetric Yokohamas instead. The Kumho's would be available at discounttiredirect.com, unless you have a Discount Tire / Americas Tire location near you.

Edit: The 215/50/17 Kumho Ecowings are available as a special order at Discounttiredirect.com. They have them in stock in their warehouse and offer free shipping.

Last edited:
Past time to replace the tires.
This round I'm looking mostly for comfort/quiet ride and decent weather handling over super-grip performance, since really this is my wife's car and is used for long family road trips etc (she appreciates a comfy ride more than my, er... "sprited" driving style)

Looking for suggestions - would probably go with the Ecsta 4X... except that after getting burned by alignment problems, I'd rather avoid a directional & asymmetric tire if possible. I just don't like not being able to properly rotate them.
*maybe* if it's directional but still symmetric, it's do-able 'cause I can at least re-mount them at the DIY shop.

Anyhow - suggestions for a comfy tire for this car that isn't directional?
And, what about moving up to a 215/5017 for a little more comfort? I wouldn't mind the height to not scrape the bumper anymore too ;-)
The best place to look is probably user reviews form Tirerack. I have Ecsta 4X and honestly I agree with your wife’s direction on comfort/ride over all else. Not sure if you are looking for all season for versatility (since you are looking at 4X) but I think tires in the Grand Touring or Touring range is a better fit for this car. Sure you lose a little grip but you’ll probably never notice since this car is not built to handle such extremes anyway. Whereas you’ll immediately notice the comfort of a GT and Touring tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

I just ordered Michelin MXV4 for my Mz5. Obviously not sure how they will be on Mz5 yet, but I had the same tire on my previous Civic. They were definitely very quiet (I turned off my stereo to check the quietness of the new tires, and ended up not turning the stereo back on for 3-4 months back then lol). Very durable, can't remember the exact numbers, but I probably had them for 80,000km+. There was still some tread left for summer use when I sold the car. Rain/wet conditions pretty good. Only negative (or non-positive) comment is they're only so so in snow, but if u dont' have snow or use winter tires then it's not a problem.

Thanks.
Looks like the Ecowing isn't available anymore?
I ranked tires on TireRack by user feedback, what it looks like it that all the high-rated tires are directional or asymetric.

Looks like the best value for a directional but non-asymmetric with high ratings is the General G-Max AS-03.

Hm, the MXV4 does look like a good deal - symmetrical, non-directional, $160/tire (grrr) on TireRack but currently have $70 Visa check card rebate.
However - don't come in the 205/50/17 size. Just 215/55/17 and bigger.

I just had a set of Michelin MXM4 (not MXV4) in 215/50-17, and they got REALLY harsh towards the end of their treadlife (took off at 4/32). The ride was stiffer than the 205/50-17 Bridgestone G019 Grid tires I had on the stock wheels, and they didn't handle as well either. Really read through the reviews on Tire Rack to see what people say about sidewall stiffness and comfort- tire model matters just as much or more than physical sidewall height.

That said, I'm cruising on a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 in 235/45-17 and it feels GOOD. The sidewall height is the same as a 215/50-17, but I get a little more footprint on the ground. It's a lot cushier than the MXM4 but doesn't lose any of the response on turn-in, and they stick so well that they really encourage bad behavior with my suspension setup. TR's price right now on them is $78 each in 215/50.

If you're having alignment problems, I'd look at fixing those issues first- otherwise you'll just keep burning through tires. I'm running -1.4 front and -1.6 camber rear but with 0.0 toe all around and have no funny tire wear issues on new shocks.

Back