Best Mods for $1000-$1500

aswhdc

:
2007 MazdaSpeed 3
Hey guys,
I saved up a grand to upgrade my 07 MS3. It currently has the MS CAI on it and will soon have the MS CBE. So I was talking it over with my friends about different mods that I should buy. This is what I have so far that I would like to put on the car.

1) TRZ Dog-Bone MM
2) Synapse Hybrid BOV
3) Step Colder Spark Plugs

So that comes out to around $500. So I have between $500-$1000 to spend. I was thinking about getting the XEDE piggy back but the PnP Harness is not ready yet and I want to be able to keep the mods as simple and quick to remove, incase the car has to go in for service.

I was thinking about a DP, but that would be a huge hassle to take off if the car needed to go into the dealer. I wondered if just a Test Pipe would help.

Another mod i was thinking about was the upgrade TMIC. I was looking at the one from PG and I did not know which core size to get or if it mattered taht much between the 3" and the 3.5".

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ok if you're looking to spend that kind of money I would do the following.

Motor Mount - I have a Dogbone Poly for sale in the sale forums :)
Turbo XS DP/RP to go with your CBE
Shifter Bushings - Wait to see what the CP-e Shifter is gonna cost/look like.
Forge BPV - Synapse Sucks and was overrated. I loved my Forge as you can easly adjust as you need.

If you're looking at 1500, then I would pickup a TMIC or a Used FMIC and call it a day. If you decide to stay with the Stock TMIC, then I would invest in some Street Unit boost tubes and some good T-Bolt Clamps as the factory tubes/clamps suck balls.

Last edited:
I HATE the sound of the forge. I won't get that thing. I would only get the HKS or the Synapse for the sound and that they both work well.

The mods that I think are going to work for me are the.....
Dash Hawk
Step Colder Spark Plugs
Synapse/HKS BOV
ETS TMIC
TRZ Poly MM

What do you guys think of that? It totals right around $1200

I HATE the sound of the forge. I won't get that thing. I would only get the HKS or the Synapse for the sound and that they both work well.

The mods that I think are going to work for me are the.....
Dash Hawk
Step Colder Spark Plugs
Synapse/HKS BOV
ETS TMIC
TRZ Poly MM

What do you guys think of that? It totals right around $1200

Sounds awesome to me but I would do something about the stock shifter as well.

I don't know if I want to go as far as a Standback yet. I think i might wait till the warranty wears out for that.

Any opinions on either HKS or Synapse?

Synapse:
Pros:Cheaper than HKS
IMO sounds better
Push-type(wont fail as easily)

Cons:Fitment
Hard to install/remove
Newer company

HKS:
Pros: Ease of install/remove
Well known company and BOV

Cons: Higher cost
Does not sound as good as the Synapse IMO

That is my break down of the 2 valves, but I would like some other input too.

Get the Cobb SRI, TRZ MM, some sort of BOV, dash hawk or Scan Gauge, and if you want.. get the turbo xs midpipe since the stock catback wont really get you any gains HP wise.. that right there and you should be killing cars left and right if your into that type of thing. And would put you right around the 1000-1200 mark.

I already have the MS3 CAI, so I would not get the Cobb SRI. And would the midpipe help out more than the upgraded TMIC?

good question, i'm curious to know the answer to that as well.
furthermore, what would be the advantages of an fmic vs an upgraded tmic?

Last edited:
I already have the MS3 CAI, so I would not get the Cobb SRI. And would the midpipe help out more than the upgraded TMIC?

Wow I feel like an idiot... I read your intial post like 3 times before I posted to. And kept asking myself.. why hasnt anyone said to get the Cobb SRI haha. O well.. I think the upgraded TMIC is rated at more HP than the midpipe is if that helps.

Wow I feel like an idiot... I read your intial post like 3 times before I posted to. And kept asking myself.. why hasnt anyone said to get the Cobb SRI haha. O well.. I think the upgraded TMIC is rated at more HP than the midpipe is if that helps.

Lol, it happens to the best of us :p Thanks for the input. I am wondering if the upgraded TMIC can still fit under the plastic shroud or would I just have to leave it off. Almost if I would have to leave it off, wouldn't that decrease the amount of flow going over it?

The advantages of the FMIC over the upgraded TMIC is that you get more gains with the FMIC, but you dont have the ease of removing it if you have to take it to the dealer. I am still playing around with the idea of saving up and selling the MS CAI and buy the Corksport FMIC kit. But I could always sell the TMIC if I want to go that route.

I think a TMIC is really not neccessary unless you are planning on running more than 18psi boost or you are doing some serious racing with it. The FMIC will not get heat soaked as quickly/at all compared with the TMIC.

A slightly different idea: Why not go to a pro driving clinic, or save up a bit more and go to a pro driving school?? You'll have fun and probably be able to shave a lot more time off a given lap :D

A slightly different idea: Why not go to a pro driving clinic, or save up a bit more and go to a pro driving school?? You'll have fun and probably be able to shave a lot more time off a given lap :D

Ya know Ive thought about that myself... but never really did any research on them cause I thought they were really expensive. And to the OP.. you wouldnt have to remove any of the ducting on the hood because the TMIC should fit just like the stock one did. I think the 3.5" one rubs a lil.. from what I read I think. With any TMIC your gonna get heat soak.. so I just skipped upgrading it and got a FMIC.

Ya know Ive thought about that myself... but never really did any research on them cause I thought they were really expensive.

At first I also thought the same, because a 3-4 day course will run around 3-4K USD, so yeah, it's a bit of sticker shock, though if you plan ahead, you can usually find discounts. I went almost a year ago to Bondurant for a 3 day course in 07 Vettes, and after the 1st day the cost was no longer on my mind, and I can honestly say I feel like I got my $'s worth, so much so that I'll probably go to another course (after I'm done paying the Speed lol). I have only good things to say about my experience.

Last edited:
$1000 bucks is a lot of cash.

If you ask me, i think the car is fast enough as it is.
I would keep the money in the bank for other things or
if you financed the car, put it towards your loan.

if you really want to mod, all i have is a MSCAI
i shopped around different dealers and i got one who
installed it for around $400CAD including taxes here in canada.

good luck

Last edited:
Back