Best door speakers to get without upgrading stock bluetooth unit or adding an amp?

It's tight, but I have managed to install them on that little plastic cover, that covers the side mirrors. At the rear, I have installed them, where are the switches in the doors.

Last edited:
I installed:
Polk DB351 3.5in. speakers to replace the dash speakers
Lanzar VX830 8in. 3-way speakers in the front door with XTC 8in. foam baffle cups - these required making some round mounting rings cut out of MDF wood (as shown in the thread about these...)

Sound was improved but not as much as when I then added an Alpine KTP-445U power pack amplifier

Here's a good summary thread

The sound is great and vastly improved. All the above items were purchased on Amazon. If you use the search function here you'll find threads with pictures of the mine and other people's installation(s), and some before and after sound files.

Good luck!

Last edited:
If I just get speakers that have the tweeters in the speaker, a la the DXi651s, they will still fit correct? I understand that putting tweeters down near your calfs are probably foolish, but it is nice to be able to just drop something in...and it is worth it to swap out the two dash speakers...but I assume not the center one?

If I just get speakers that have the tweeters in the speaker, a la the DXi651s, they will still fit correct? I understand that putting tweeters down near your calfs are probably foolish, but it is nice to be able to just drop something in...and it is worth it to swap out the two dash speakers...but I assume not the center one?

Yes, they fit just the same as a non tweeter speaker

I replaced just the dash speakers with the polks and found that helped quite a bit, because seems to send more power to other speakers and I adjusted the fade to be about 70% to the rear, and so the sounds feels a lot more balanced, and not just coming from the front. Bass picked up a bit too.

But just replacing the door speakers with the 8", how much more bass do you get? Is it worth it?

So, one more question before I open up the front door panels tomorrow morning:
The Mazda specs for the Bose speakers show that the front doors are 8" running 1.25ohm...I'm assuming putting the 6.5"s instead of 8"s and running 4 ohms will sound cleaner, but with less bass...
It seems like the Polk DB35s are the best upgrade...anyone replacing or disabling the center speaker?

Also...are the rear door speakers also 6.5"? The Bose specs say they are 5.25"s...

Last edited:
Okay here's an update:
Bad news for people with the Bose speakers in a 2014.5...the front door speakers are mounted in a METAL bracket, nothing appears to be easily cut to modify for 6.5s...I am going to order those adapters that are linked in this forum, they seem like the perfect solution.
Buy a bunch of the Mazda door trim plastic holders, you WILL break a few...I lost 2 on one door, the cheap ones are O'Reillys don't work well...buy like 10 from Mazda ahead of time...

I will be swapping out the dash speakers first, with the DB351s first...they arrive in 2 days. I will wait and see how that sounds, but the 2 ohm 8" bass speakers in the front doors will probably still get swapped with the DXi651s I have...

How does the center speaker cover off? I was afraid to pop it off, is it held from under the dash above the radio? Is it worth buying another set of DB351s and using 1 to replace the center speaker?

Also, is there a separate BOSE amp located somewhere? Will swapping out the door speakers with 2 ways that are 4 ohms be negated by any sort of sound filtering or bridging from a separate amp besides the head unit?

Last edited:
How does the center speaker cover off? I was afraid to pop it off, is it held from under the dash above the radio?
Yes, it just pops off from above. I used plastic "panel removers", but make sure you protect the surrounding 'soft' plastic, before you start levering.

Replaced the front dash speakers (right and left, not center) with the DB351s...my Bose system dash speakers were surprising light, but the new speakers are brighter sounding, if a bit heavy on the treble...after looking at the spec sheet of the Bose amp, it sends 18w to each of the 3 dash speakers, and 18w to the rear tweets, and the door speakers each get 35w each, but the front doors being 8" units are only 1.25 ohm speakers, so they can make cheap subs...I am hoping the swap to the DXi651s in the front doors, will add some cleaner sounds in the front seats, as the door speakers make all the sound come from the dash, which now makes sense why the rear sounds better when you sit there...

The volume on those new speakers will be much lower, since the impedance is higher then the Bose ones.

Latest posts

Back