Best color for '17 CX-5?

I think the red is the best colour, and red is my favourite colour, in the past I've had 4 red cars.

But my last four have been silver, and that's what I would buy again. Any other colour just means more cleaning, on average my silver cars go 5 weeks before they need cleaning.

I would never have a dark colour again, especially black or dark blue, waste of time washing those colours as the first drop of UK rain means the cars dirty again.
And we get a lot of rain.

I had a dark green car before for 10 years. No more dark colors! Hard to keep clean and heats up more.
We got sonic silver this time... haven't washed since we bought it in June aside from wiping up bird poops.
I'm sure it's dirty, but it just appears as a slightly darker silver. It's raining in NY now so I guess it's getting a wash.

The wheels look best on the silver.

Agreed!

Try AmmoNYC Lather Interior Cleaner. Spray, lather up with a brush and wipe clean. It leaves a matte finish. Larry's products are pricey but well worth it. He's a one man show who's one of the best in the business. Or check out Adam's Polishes products. I highly recommend both.

And for the record I started with Armour All 17 years ago. It was fine then but I've learned from experience that paying more will give better and longer lasting results. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the recommendation, Im looking for a matte finish rather then glossy so Ill be sure to give one of those products a try.

I think the red is the best colour, and red is my favourite colour, in the past I've had 4 red cars.

But my last four have been silver, and that's what I would buy again. Any other colour just means more cleaning, on average my silver cars go 5 weeks before they need cleaning.

I would never have a dark colour again, especially black or dark blue, waste of time washing those colours as the first drop of UK rain means the cars dirty again.
And we get a lot of rain.

If you have a sufficient layer of wax on your paint, you can drive through a rainstorm and the paint will look just as clean as before it not cleaner because some of the water spots will be removed. Now light rain, I guess thats a different story.

I had a dark green car before for 10 years. No more dark colors! Hard to keep clean and heats up more.
We got sonic silver this time... haven't washed since we bought it in June aside from wiping up bird poops.
I'm sure it's dirty, but it just appears as a slightly darker silver. It's raining in NY now so I guess it's getting a wash.

Careful when removing the bird poop because you are rubbing tiny little dust particles into your clear coat and leaving micro scratches. I take the car to a car wash and use wax, after a couple washes you build a layer of wax on your car which not only protects the paint from external damage but also keeps it looking shiny and clean for far longer. You will be amazing at how good it looks with lots of wax on.

Lighter cars don't stay cleaner, they just don't look as dirty with the same amount of dirt. Everybody knows this, but I'm just being clear, its about the look.

Even if I only wash every 5 weeks, I'd rather have the red car and look fly as hell for 1 week, and grungy for 4, then pick a lesser color and look kinda okay all the time.

But I say this owning an 18 year old black car that I wash a few times a year now ;)

The thing I don't like is that dings and scratches stand out more. Those look worse after washing than they do when it is dirty.

Still working up to purchasing a CX-5 - need to make sure a few other things are all lined up first.

Color choices have me vexed, because I'm planning on a GT with the Parchment interior. I would love Sonic Silver to help hide the dirt, but you can't get it with the Parchment.

So I'm torn between the White and Red. I suspect white might hide the dirt a little better? But maybe not, especially in Maine in the winter and living a short way down a dirt road.

I don't understand why they limit interior colors to certain paint colors, or the logic behind the pairings.

Still working up to purchasing a CX-5 - need to make sure a few other things are all lined up first.

Color choices have me vexed, because I'm planning on a GT with the Parchment interior. I would love Sonic Silver to help hide the dirt, but you can't get it with the Parchment.

So I'm torn between the White and Red. I suspect white might hide the dirt a little better? But maybe not, especially in Maine in the winter and living a short way down a dirt road.

I don't understand why they limit interior colors to certain paint colors, or the logic behind the pairings.

what? you can only get the 2 tone interior with white or red? that's honestly such a shame...

well white isn't going to look pretty if you live near dirt roads thats for sure...

Lighter cars don't stay cleaner, they just don't look as dirty with the same amount of dirt. Everybody knows this, but I'm just being clear, its about the look.

Even if I only wash every 5 weeks, I'd rather have the red car and look fly as hell for 1 week, and grungy for 4, then pick a lesser color and look kinda okay all the time.

But I say this owning an 18 year old black car that I wash a few times a year now ;)

The thing I don't like is that dings and scratches stand out more. Those look worse after washing than they do when it is dirty.

all depends on laziness levels. people who always keep their car clean can opt for a more difficult to maintain colour.

I have silver, but I still always keep it clean either way :)

all depends on laziness levels. people who always keep their car clean can opt for a more difficult to maintain colour.

Not laziness, time management. Other things to do in life than constantly wash a car (wink)

Or slovenliness level. I intend to get red, and if I know myself, probably won't keep it clean. But I'll take pretty and grungy over plain and clean.

Or slovenliness level. I intend to get red, and if I know myself, probably won't keep it clean. But I'll take pretty and grungy over plain and clean.

There's a soul red that parks infront of our place on occasion and you can see the level of dust on it. Sort of like a extra layer

what? you can only get the 2 tone interior with white or red? that's honestly such a shame...

well white isn't going to look pretty if you live near dirt roads thats for sure...

The Parchment interior is only available with the White, Red, Dark Blue, Machine Gray and Black exterior paints.

If you opt for Sonic Silver or the lighter Eternal blue, the only interior color is black. The two colors can can probably hide dirt best don't come with the interior I want. It's annoying.

And personally, I'm not interested in black, dark blue, or machine gray, leaving me with only red or white as paint choices.

Last edited:
Long thread, not sure if covered but white and soul red are the only 3 coat paint which offers a bit more protection. Especially since Mazda is notorious w.r.t. thinness of paint. Caveat: soul red is a real pain to touch-up.

The Parchment interior is only available with the White, Red, Dark Blue, Machine Gray and Black exterior paints.

If you opt for Sonic Silver or the lighter Eternal blue, the only interior color is black. The two colors can can probably hide dirt best don't come with the interior I want. It's annoying.

And personally, I'm not interested in black, dark blue, or machine gray, leaving me with only red or white as paint choices.

ia the CX-5 offered with liquid silver? Beautiful paint colour...

+1. but some just don't care about how their vehicles look.

Not laziness, time management. Other things to do in life than constantly wash a car (wink)

+1. I get up early in the morning to do any small touch ups if need be. A garage is very beneficial.

Not a big fan of silver but the CX-5 does wear it well I have to admit.

+1. but some just don't care about how their vehicles look.

+1. I get up early in the morning to do any small touch ups if need be. A garage is very beneficial.

I think I would never own black paint. You have to baby it too much to avoid marks/scratches from showing up on the paint and it looks dirty 1 day after washing it.

Not a big fan of silver but the CX-5 does wear it well I have to admit.

Its more of a gray-ish silver, and it looks far better on the Mazda 6 sedan then it does on the CX-5. You should check it out! So happy that our 6 is in this colour.

Back