Best Battery for P5?

mualan

:
Laser Blue 2003 MP5
Hey all,

I couldn't narrow down any searches on this, so if someone in the know could help me out...

What's a good brand of car battery that I can buy for my P5? The car wouldn't start awhile back, and checking the battery revealed a horribly corroded negative terminal. Since then I've thoroughly cleaned out (wire brushed and used the battery cleaner foam sprays) the terminal ... but every few days or so the car won't start until the 3rd or 4th try.

So I'm looking to buy a new battery that also fits right. By the way, when I was a kid and didn't know anything about cars, I used to find those "Die Hard" batteries inside engine bays kinda cool. Are those any good?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-mualan

P.S. A friend just told me that places will also "recharge" batteries. Should I get this done instead since I just bought the car new ~3 years ago? Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to car batteries.

Last edited:
Optima Red Top

mine died a couple of days ago after 2 years of service, went in and got a brand new one free, that warranty is awsome!

i was having the same problem... ground kit and a optima red top. it all started when i installed my AVIC N-1, i think i might of messed up the wireing doing it my self

I've heard good and bad things about the optimas. I'll prob end up with a red top one day. So you have an 03 laser blue and line in casselberry? I have an 03.5 laser blue in Longwood. Cars might be from the same stock at cory fairbanks lol...

I'm actually just temporary resident in Florida to go to a computer animation school (FullSail). Drove the car down from Austin, TX (where I bought it) back in October of last year. I'm so glad I have it here with me in this world of hurricanes and power outages.

Sounds so far like the Optima Red Top is being recommended the most...

-mualan

Ah man that sucks. Thought my car had twin near by. Anyways, if you just arrived this past year, you haven't seen anything along the lines of "hurricanes and power outages". 04 was sooooo much fun!

I have the optima yellow top, and you only need the yellow top if you have a big stereo or if you feel the need for it..

JCell said:
Optima Red Top

mine died a couple of days ago after 2 years of service, went in and got a brand new one free, that warranty is awsome!

what he said...it's a kick ass battery!(first)

2003newlyack said:
I have the optima yellow top, and you only need the yellow top if you have a big stereo or if you feel the need for it..

:D Pat you have neither... so why did you get it again ? (enguard)

haha it was the first thing I bought for my car, when I had a lot of money and didn't know what to do with it.. hey its better than a normal battery!

Pat - Kronixkid
Matt - newlyack
btw (enguard)

I would highly recomend a Red Top. I had my system in the car for three months and drained my battery about 4 or 5 times dead, had to jump start it. Now I removed my system and It still holds a charge like new. You cant do that with any other battery. The only reason I got rid of the system was I would have to upgrade the alternator and Buy another Optima and a 40 farad capacitor, didnt know I was going to have to spend another 800bucks, but what do you expect when your running almost 4000watts.

2003newlyack said:
haha it was the first thing I bought for my car, when I had a lot of money and didn't know what to do with it.. hey its better than a normal battery!

Pat - Kronixkid
Matt - newlyack
btw (enguard)

(lol) Sorry Matt... (friday) Gotta stop doing that in the morning's

Yea Pat needs one...his battery died when Kanzei came down with the axelback.

I have a red top Optima... and I love it... I've worked in the garage for acouple of hours w/ my system on... got in the car... and "Zoom" she turns on with no problem.

Last edited:
My local Sam's Club has Nascar gel batteries, I believe they are a Optima Red Top sold under a different name - for about $20 or so less.

I found that one of my terminal cables actually had a loose connection to the battery -- wouldn't clamp tightly. Can't remember which terminal....

Anyway no problems, other than the good folks at Sam's Club refused to install it because they got spooked by the FSTB, didn't know the torque settings. Sounded reasonable to me, actually. So I took it to the stealer, who charged me, with a straight face, $40 to install the battery.

Now I have a torque wrench of my own.

Well, I'm definitely going to get the Optima Red Top ... if I can find it. Where's the best place to buy it? Pep Boys/Autozone? Somehow I don't think they'd have it because I don't remember seeing it.

I think I may have put it off for too long and have finally crossed the line. My battery just died again ... had to get a jump. I just got home, and let the car run for ~15 minutes, to hopefully keep a charge. Unfortunately it's not starting anymore. I guess I'm walking out to Wal-mart to get a battery charger kit or something because I've got an early class tomorrow. Ahh, such an adventure... :p

Update: Err, maybe not. Those charger kit things are like 100 bucks. Might as well spend the money on the Optima. I guess I'll figure out some other way of getting to class in the morning.

-mualan

Last edited:
optima i say, i went with a blue top! (yes i know it is a marine battery but i wanted a deep cycle and it is blue) :) works friggen outstanding! i can run my stereo/led's at a 6 hr show and when it is done hook the battery back up and start my car!!

i actually use this alot when i take a 70 min ferry ride (where u have to turn ur car off) to watch movies!

Rob

Well, I just had my Yellowtop die literally days before it's 2nd year ended.

I had to jump it last week because I had left the key ON when I was cleaning it.
Then on Sunday, I went to Altspace's Garage and we worked on a number of things.
One project was my EBAY grounding kit. Josh had recently done his with Mark.
We hooked it all up and the car started fine.
When we tried to start it the next time (a little while later) it was dead, but we could jump it.
We let it run for a while and then took it for a test drive and it DIED...
Jumped it again and limped back to the driveway.
Now we're waiting on the Optima Rep to swing by the local audio store to swap me a new one.
According to the Optima site, it's 1 year full replace warranty and then pro-rated for the second year.
So this guy is doing me a favor by swapping it for me 2 full years later.
But now we have to figure out if the grounding kit somehow hit a live source.
All the grounding points we think should have been fine.

ENTENSE said:
The only reason I got rid of the system was I would have to upgrade the alternator and Buy another Optima and a 40 farad capacitor, didnt know I was going to have to spend another 800bucks, but what do you expect when your running almost 4000watts.

4000 watts??? 400 maybe? Otherwise it must be awfully hot and/or
loud when you turn that sound system up. With 4000 watts the radio
should sonicate your guts.

Crazee D said:
Well, I just had my Yellowtop die literally days before it's 2nd year ended.

I had to jump it last week because I had left the key ON when I was cleaning it.
Then on Sunday, I went to Altspace's Garage and we worked on a number of things.
One project was my EBAY grounding kit. Josh had recently done his with Mark.
We hooked it all up and the car started fine.
When we tried to start it the next time (a little while later) it was dead, but we could jump it.
We let it run for a while and then took it for a test drive and it DIED...
Jumped it again and limped back to the driveway.
Now we're waiting on the Optima Rep to swing by the local audio store to swap me a new one.
According to the Optima site, it's 1 year full replace warranty and then pro-rated for the second year.
So this guy is doing me a favor by swapping it for me 2 full years later.
But now we have to figure out if the grounding kit somehow hit a live source.
All the grounding points we think should have been fine.

you let josh work near your battery???(ughdance)

Just buy the cheapest battery you can find that fits and has at least the CCA's of your stock battery. Costco is a good place. Overpriced batteries are just that IMO.

Back