Best bang for the buck suspension upgrade (for the MSP)?

Zhan

:
Titanium MSP, 94 Miata-R red
What is (or are) the best bang-for-the-buck suspension upgrade for the MSP?

Springs seem to be at a good price, but most seem to be progressive, which I don't think is too great for performance unless the car is especially tuned for progressive springs and I don't mind the sacrifice in ride quality for linear springs, and secondly most of the springs seem to be more for aesthetics - bigger drop - vs. performance and I'm not looking specifically for a drop at all.

Sway bars sound good too, but the MSP stock sway bar is already something like 20mm and aftermarkets only increase that by like 1.5-2".

And what about shocks? I don't hear much about those.

mx3ownzj00 said:
Ground-Control coilsleeves and a good alignment. Works wonders for me.
Aren't the coilsleeves just aftermarket springs + the ability to adjust ride height? Because, like I said, I'm in no dire need to lower my car.

msp suspension is already great out of the box.... adding some stuff (like springs) will only give you appearance ... not much in performance. you'll be surprised that a 21 or 22mm sway bar will make your car handle differently than with the 20mm. the torsional rigidity of those bars increase alot as you adjust it.

but if you're going for something more aggressive, go all the way and get some coilovers.... JIC, B+G, Tein SS

ChopstickHero said:
msp suspension is already great out of the box.... adding some stuff (like springs) will only give you appearance ... not much in performance. you'll be surprised that a 21 or 22mm sway bar will make your car handle differently than with the 20mm. the torsional rigidity of those bars increase alot as you adjust it.

but if you're going for something more aggressive, go all the way and get some coilovers.... JIC, B+G, Tein SS
Yeah, I was thinking the same things about the springs. A sway bar sounds like a good starting point.

21mm AWR swaybar with adjustable endlinks and a set of Ksports coils should do you a world of good. If you want to go any further, you can get some of the GTSPEC parts.

I'm not quite sure why you would want to change the sway bar first. The OEM setup rotates fine IMO. You don't have to lower the ride height with the GCs, you can leave them at stock height.

-mx3ownzj00

Equinox said:
I'm not quite sure why you would want to change the sway bar first. The OEM setup rotates fine IMO. You don't have to lower the ride height with the GCs, you can leave them at stock height.

-mx3ownzj00
So why wouldn't I just get springs instead of the GCs if I don't want to adjust ride height? Because from what I am reading, the GCs are basically just aftermarket springs (Eibachs) + the ability to adjust their height.

Scott said:
21mm AWR swaybar with adjustable endlinks and a set of Ksports coils should do you a world of good. If you want to go any further, you can get some of the GTSPEC parts.

Ditto. K-Sport is the best option for performance, looks, and price. You'll spend close to that amount on springs/struts or crappier solutions (i.e. sqeeka-a-thon GC's) with 1/4 of the perfomance or adjustability.

K-Sport + GT SPEC = ON RAILS. I am going to do the awr rear sway as well... should tighten the car up even more (if thats even possible).

sabishii said:
Aren't the coilsleeves just aftermarket springs + the ability to adjust ride height? Because, like I said, I'm in no dire need to lower my car.

But spring rates will help body roll (as if the MSP had body roll). I hear with stiffer spring rates this car feels alot better.

Stock is 145 F 117 R....Ground controls and most good coilovers are aprox 350 - 390 F and 225-280 R. 400s and your jsut asking for a harsh city ride.

I say full coilovers Ksport if your on a budget, JIC if you can spend more. AWR if you can spend alot more. Blistein shocks and custom springs is a good combo.

I like Ground control coilover sleeves and tighten the back with trail links and endlinks. GT spec front lower tie bar and CP strut bar (bolts to firewall). Should turn in very well and tighten up the back a bit.

Budget racing would mean ground control + Koni inserts that nsn sells. A damn good coilover system for around $800. Then you can focus on small things like braces and stiffen links up.

Well since im not going all out race I would probally go for the cheap guy coilover set up. Koni insert + ground control.

Last edited:
I would steer away from JIC. We put some A2's on my car and they ended up failing within 500 miles, JIC wont help for s***, they have horrible customer support, and their products have been s*** for us. We put JIC A2's on our IS300 too and they ****** up after 1500 miles, the spring actually cracked on the shock.

Then I went to the K-Sports, and I s*** you not, the build quality was superior to the JICs, and the handling and ride was far superior in my book. And i've got about 6500 miles on them without one problem. A+ in my book. I'd buy K-Sport over JIC any day of the week. Your paying for the name brand, which in this case, doesnt stand for s***.

Yep. Once I have some extra money built up and can get rid of these very lackluster Tein S-Tech's, I'll likely pick up a set of Ksports, unless I got the extra few hundred bucks for D2's.

ground control and illuminas... i got the GC's for 350 and the illuminas for 450... that's 750 for basically a set of really good adjustable dampening adjustable height coilover.

the GC/Illumina you get to buy in pieces though, you can do one then the other... plus, i get to keep my endlinks... lol

spacemonkey said:
But spring rates will help body roll (as if the MSP had body roll). I hear with stiffer spring rates this car feels alot better.

Stock is 145 F 117 R....Ground controls and most good coilovers are aprox 350 - 390 F and 225-280 R. 400s and your jsut asking for a harsh city ride.
But wouldn't just getting stiffer springs instead of the GC springs + adjustment be just as worthwhile, plus costing less?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

definate downfall is the noise the GC's and S2's make... but durring the install of the illuminas i'm gonna try to remedy it.

Back