Besides the Dashhawk..

GhostMercury

:
MazdaSpeed 3 08.5
Besides the dashhawk what is there that does the same stuff, I'm just looking for more options. I would like something to be black in color, to go with the car if I mounted it somewhere.

well I just read on protegegarage that you can change the colors of the dash hawk screen to any color. Does this include the buttons? and does anyone have a picture of this

From forum member AutoXRacer: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2974171/4

The backlight seems to match pretty nicely with the gauge lights. It would be nice to have the DashHawk's plastic be interchangeable and be all black to better blend with the interior -- at least for me being an 08.5 owner. Mine should be here Thursday!

I'm not sure where I would mount mine. Prolly on the steering colum but set back more in the ditch type area, centered, where it wont cover the speedo.

The dashhawk has been end-of-life'd by MSD. It will be receiving no more updates, so don't buy it expecting more updates.

That said, I own one and its a pretty good product for the money.

The dashhawk has been end-of-life'd by MSD. It will be receiving no more updates, so don't buy it expecting more updates.

news to me! thanks for the info.

Besides the dashhawk what is there that does the same stuff, I'm just looking for more options. I would like something to be black in color, to go with the car if I mounted it somewhere.

The Defi-Link Display doesn't do the exact same things as the dash hawk, but its a nice unit and it can be installed right into the dashboard. It is an excellent addition to your car for engine monitoring. I will take pictures of mine and post them once it is installed.

Since you are getting the defi-link control unit anyway, I think that is even more reason to get the defi-link display. You can attach up to six sensors to the control unit, and then display pretty much any parameters which those sensors measure through the display (speed and RPM are measured automatically; oil temperature, water temperature, oil pressure, fuel pressure and exhaust temperature require additional sensors). You can also attach warning signals to certain parameters so if your engine does something you don't want it to do, you know about it.

Again, its not exactly the same thing as the dashhawk, but it is a good unit, especially if you already have the defi control unit.

Last edited:

Can you link us to some data to back this up? Didn't find anything about it on their forums.

To the OP, I was also looking at the G-TechPro before I bought my DashHawk.

Last edited:
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52610&postcount=35

http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52801&postcount=24

I haven't posted on this board yet as Ken does such a great job monitoring and handling all of the customer service. He was an incredibly valuable employee and we will miss his contributions to the company.

First things first, thank you to everyone on this board for being a passionate MSD Ignition customer. We really appreciate both your enthusiasm for our products and our people. It is always great to hear feedback, both positive and negative, from our most vocal customers.

As far as the Dashhawk is concerned, I would like to give you some history. The Dashhawk is actually an Edge Products product. Its a slight rework of the Insight Monitor. Edge has been developing this product for years and it has been an extremely successful gauge package for our customers. When MSD bought Edge in 2006, plans were developed to offer this product to the MSD Ignition customer base under the name Dashhawk. Now, Edge is planning an update to this design which will include significant upgrades in both aesthetics, features and application availability. As such, we are going to continue to sell the Dashhawk in its current form and then migrate that platform over when ready. We are committed to supporting this platform 100%, but it didn't make sense to have development ongoing on two competing platforms. Further, Superchips and Edge Products have databases of virtually every OBDII standard PID, as well as proprietary OEM pids for literally thousands of vehicles. The next iteration of the Dashhawk will be cooler, more robust and far more powerful.

I'm sure you will all understand this product transition. I hope that you continue to enjoy your Dashhawk and please let us know if you are experiencing any technical problems.

New Dashhawk version coming, much like the transition from V1 -> V2 which were not compatible with each other. Dashhawk V2 (current version) is end-of-life'd and only receiving tech support. You can still purchase it and use it just fine. No new updates. I would assume they would stop selling it when the next version comes out.

For the current Mazda cars that's not all that bad, the Mazda functionality is pretty good at the moment.

Last edited:
So do we have an ETA of the new dashHawk. I'm currious to see if it would just be worth it to wait for the new version

Someone from MSD mentioned 6-8 months.

Some of the dashhawk's competitors are pretty serious devices that retail for like 400+ and have giant LCD's, touch features etc. I wonder if MSD is going that route with the next dashhawk/edge product.

I speculate to say that it will have more features and also be more expensive, but that is pure speculation.

I hope it doesn't come out TOO soon as my DashHawk should be arriving today. Obviously, I wouldn't expect ANY company to state 'don't buy now, we have a better product coming soon' but it would be a little frustrating if the new unit blows the current model away or looks just phenomenally better. But, that's life and everything I've seen, the DashHawk already provides lots of capabilities so I don't think I will be too disappointed.

Crap, this is just the sort of thing that I get sucked into. "zomg! You say the new DashHawk will monitor my car's vitals AND tell me the time!? I'll take two!"

Latest posts

Back