Be thankful the DRLs don't turn off when signaling

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
I'm not sure how Mazda was able to get the OK from the IHS or whatever body approves this, but I've seen so many vehicles have to turn off their DRLs when signaling and I'm not sure how Mazda was able to get away with it. I actually saw the other day a vehicle which had completely separate housing located under the headlights for turn signals and it still turned off the DRLs when it was on. Mazda has them both housed in the same unit (even the CX5 only uses incandescent bulbs for turn signals and is less prominent than the CX9 and they still didn't have to turn the DRLs off). It's crazy they're able to get away with this when so many other manufacturers, even ones like Mercedes can't achieve it in the US.

I've noticed this quirk for years up here (Canada) and have always found it strange.
I noticed it first on Chrysler products, then a bunch of others did the same thing.
Why on earth is that done?
Is there a law of some sort that says the DRL has to go out on the signal side, or is it just some designers idea of a good thing?
It's stupid imho.

I've noticed this quirk for years up here (Canada) and have always found it strange.
I noticed it first on Chrysler products, then a bunch of others did the same thing.
Why on earth is that done?
Is there a law of some sort that says the DRL has to go out on the signal side, or is it just some designers idea of a good thing?
It's stupid imho.

Agree on all counts. I think its a design thing that manufacturers started doing to improve turn signal visibility or something.

not to mention some cars, the fog lights turn on, on the turning side while the other one is off, making it seem like you have busted fog lights...it's very strange...thank goodness for Mazdas design team =)

not to mention some cars, the fog lights turn on, on the turning side while the other one is off, making it seem like you have busted fog lights...it's very strange...thank goodness for Mazdas design team =)

Oh yeah, I've seen those on some older luxury cars. I think they're called cornering lights. Cadillac was one of the first companies to implement this. Before the adaptive headlights that swivel as your turn, we had cornering lights.

gld80c3pxpzrnv11zbot.jpg

xy9afxowgteaqtufyeop.jpg

It has something to do with IHS regulations that the turn signal has to be clear and free from any obfuscation. Sometimes it makes no sense because there are cars where it’s clearly visible but the DRL still turns off and others where it’s hard to tell yet they stay on. /shrug

Some new Hyundai's have the rear turn signal in the lower bumper area as opposed to the traditional taillight becoming a flasher. Santa Fe at least. The old Infiniti wagon used to do the same, and it was a low car which made me wonder if a tall SUV could miss that (especially if tailgating). In a quick lane change I'm not sure how many would notice these lower lights flashing. Usually they're just reflective parts.

The audi and mustang progressive flashers are another style thing, not sure it's a thing that should be fooled with. Always felt the Germans had it wrong...most of their flashers are simply the red rear tailight flashing. Most Japanese brands have a yellow flasher. Much safer IMO.

Back