Battery keeps dying

kidicenj

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Ok, so my battery light kept going on until the car eventually died. Mechanic told me it was my alternator. Bought a new one online and had it replaced and also bought a new battery in the process. The same problem occurred where the battery light continued to come on and the car would eventually stall out.

I brought it back to the mechanic and he checked to make sure the alternator was good. He said it was fine and charging my battery. But when he turned on the headlights/wipers/stereo the battery light would come back on and the voltage would drop.

Does anyone know what would be causing this?

Thanks

Sounds like you have a short or a ground somewhere. It might take a while but either have the mechanic check the wiring harness with a multimeter or you can do it yourself. www.12volt.com (i think that's right) has wiring diagrams for most cars that even tells you what voltage/amperage a lead is supposed to be getting. Aside from checking the voltages, even simpler than that is checking wires visually for fraying, chaffing, MELTING (buddy had a problem with his amplifier wires getting melted to his exhaust manifold lol), multiple bare wires touching in places that are not major connection points, etc. The only other thing I could suggest is make sure that your battery leads aren't bad, lots of corrosion or open wires fraying kinda stuff.

IMHO it's something shorting out, "shorting" is when a circuit is being closed where it's not supposed to be. Like taking a wrench and sticking it across the battery terminals, PLEASE DON'T TRY THAT. It will weld the wrench to the terminals. Good luck!

Back