Bastards tried to steal by bike!

mitaccio

I had my bike on top of my car the other night because my rental company said I can't keep my bike on the staircase and the deck is under construction. I have a kid that would tip the bike on him if I had it inside. I have/had a yakima raptor and a stock roof rack. During the night, someone tried to steal my bike by grabbing my bike and pulling it down to try and get the rack to break open and let my bike go. Well, it didn't work quite rite. The Bike fell over, bending the rack. My pedal went through the roof, and various parts of my bike hit the roof, side and spoiler. The rack is toast. My bike got bent pretty bad too. I called the rental company and told them that they would have to pay to fix it. They have been "working" on my deck for 4 months. All they are doing is replacing the flooring. The deck is 10'x8'! How f***ing long does this take I asked. They have on paper promised it to be done since february. I told them that because they couldn't fulfill their agreements they would have to pay for it to be fixed. They threatened to evict me. I threatened to sue. We called in the cops and they said I was at fault. I am going to sue the rental company. In the mean time I have the car in the shop for $2900 in repairs. My insurance is picking it up under comprehensive, but I have to pay the deductable. Bastards!
The good side is that I am getting a new rack from the insurance payout. I am switching from stock to a yakima. I am also getting out-of-pocket a cargo tote, just one problem, can;t tell what size will fit without hitting the hatch...anyone using a tote that doesn't hit?

What an idiot. He could have just unscrewed the bike tray from the rack (no tools necessary) and carried the tray/bike off together.

Good luck with your dilemma. That sucks completely.

JoshP5 said:
What an idiot. He could have just unscrewed the bike tray from the rack (no tools necessary) and carried the tray/bike off together.

Depends on the bike mount. Some can't be removed from the rack while they're locked.

mitaccio: That totally sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I doubt you're going to get anywhere with the lawsuit, though. Odds are your lease says that they aren't responsible for your stuff on their grounds. You signed the lease, you agreed. Sucks, but that's how it goes. Read your lease really carefully before you spend a penny consulting a lawyer.
Do you have renter's insurance? That may take care of your bike, thought you'll likely have to pay the deductible there, too.

Sorry, dude.

Foolish said:
Depends on the bike mount. Some can't be removed from the rack while they're locked.
He said Raptor. That's what I have. Can be removed without tools even if locked.

Wishing the end of the story had been, baseball bat meets grey matter. I hate thieves.

Back