ball joint

loweuro77

does anyone know how to fix the ball joint on the front drivers side that connects the sway bar to the strut assembly? i think it is the connecting rod. i broke it when i was installing my coilovers, do i have to purchase a whole new connecting rod with the ball joint on it or is there a way to pop it back together? help:'(

A connecting rod is an engine part.
It connects the piston to the crankshaft.
Balljoint:
(haven't looked under a mazda, so this is honda know-how, but I think it should be the same)
there are two, a top one and a bottom one, they connect your entire wheel/hub/brake/disc assembly to the car, they allow the wheel to turn and stay attached to the car.
Tie-rod end:
they connect the steering wheel to the entire turning assembly, allowing it to turn when you turn the wheel.
Which of these did you break?
I'm guessing the lower balljoint, because you don't "have" to disconnect the tie-rod ends to change springs, etc.
Again, this is Honda know-how, but I think it should be the same, if not similiar.

i dont think my mazda has a upper, didnt see one. the part i broke connects the sway bar to the strut assembly.

If you are referring the the actual piece the connects the sway bar to the strut assembly, this is called an end link. The design of these leave much to be desired. They are metal and the ends are attached with plastic. Usually what happens is the 4 plastic pins snap and the swivel ball falls right off. The only way to fix this is to replace the end link, or to fabricate some new ones. I ended up making my own, since my udgraded sway bar snapped the factory ones. A replacement end link from the dealer shouldn't be much more than about $20.

tanks

thanks you guys, i justed posted this a little bit ago and now im gonna call and hopefully get this fixed by the weekend. this forum rocks.:D

Logan said:
Balljoint -
there are two, a top one and a bottom one, they connect your entire wheel/hub/brake/disc assembly to the car, they allow the wheel to turn and stay attached to the car.

No strut equipped car has two ball joints . . . just the lower one.

Don

actually it does each end of the end link has a ball joint on it .so each one has 2 which makes each protege 5 have 8.

loweuro77 said:
actually it does each end of the end link has a ball joint on it .so each one has 2 which makes each protege 5 have 8.

Actually, our cars only have 2 ball joints. One on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. The ball joint is located on the outermost end of the control arms. The base of the strut assembly attaches to the ball joint. Hence, the strut connects to the control arm via a ball joint, which allows for the necessary travel of the suspension components.

Yes, the ends of the sway bar end links have pivoting joints, but they are not referred to in mechanics terms as "ball joints."

Back