Baffled OIl Pan

Bc-386

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Are there any alternatives to AWR for a baffled oil pan? I bought my car with a doc b set up, but i dont have a baffled oil pan. I think i am getting oil cavitation (= reduced oil pressure as the motor gets ran) because there is no baffle.... I like the AWR, but they are just so expensive.

Last edited:
The AWR is only $290...........I'm not saying that Cres isn't going to have a quality product, but this is in the infantile stages of development, so there is no telling if that will even happen or a price (last time I checked), seeing as how you are lucky enough to have the Doc B setup already done for you, I'd get an AWR. Just my two cents.

Also, I've only spun bearings (7 or 8 times now) through left hand turns, never the right. Realistically if you have common sense and understand how the baffled/trap door set up works, you could easily do it yourself with some time put into it.

since we are on the topic of the oil pan, if you arent tracking the car is it enough of a safeguard to get the awr oil pan? or should one get the doc b system as well

since we are on the topic of the oil pan, if you arent tracking the car is it enough of a safeguard to get the awr oil pan? or should one get the doc b system as well

I regret not doing the Doc B when I rebuilt my built engine. I've spun bearings multiple times. I run the car hard and live within 40 minutes of US129 (The Dragon) and take it up there often. I've spun bearings three times up there. One of which was my built engine. That was before I had the AWR. I haven't been up there since rebuilding and installing the AWR, but I'm still kind of reluctant. I'm sure it'll help, but I don't know if it will remedy the oil starvation through sharp left hand turns. I don't necessarily want to be the guinea pig. I run 4k+rpm at all times while I'm up there and some of the turns are long, sharp lefties. Two of the times I spun a bearing was in the same corner and of course my wheel spoke blocks my oil light perfectly through the turn. I now just carry my speed through that turn, off the accelerator and idling the engine. I would consider my driving up there to be equivalent to tracking it though. I only run up there in the winter to avoid bikes and tourists and will often spend 4-6 hours driving back and forth and it's only 11 miles long. Sometimes I have to pull over to give my clutch a break because it'll start slipping after 3-4 runs, so I'm at it pretty hard. With that being said, I've also spun bearings on other various back roads throughout Tennessee, but it's ALWAYS through left hand turns. I am well aware of the oiling deficiencies of the FS engine, so the oil is always full. Actually, I will usually run ~.5 quart over full to possibly combat it, but it's never helped. So, in short, yes, I'd get the Doc B.

Thanks Preferio. For some reason i was under the impression the awr cost around $400. The $290 is definitely worth it, specially after hearing your story...

Whats the difference between the two AWR oil pans, one cost $290 and the other $320??? It cant be just the black paint...

Honestly I think having a Moroso accumulator would be good enough to prevent oil starvation around corners.

I was shopping accumulators last night. A couple quarts on demand may be the ticket and they're cheaper than a pan.

I regret not doing the Doc B when I rebuilt my built engine. I've spun bearings multiple times. I run the car hard and live within 40 minutes of US129 (The Dragon) and take it up there often. I've spun bearings three times up there. One of which was my built engine. That was before I had the AWR. I haven't been up there since rebuilding and installing the AWR, but I'm still kind of reluctant. I'm sure it'll help, but I don't know if it will remedy the oil starvation through sharp left hand turns. I don't necessarily want to be the guinea pig. I run 4k+rpm at all times while I'm up there and some of the turns are long, sharp lefties. Two of the times I spun a bearing was in the same corner and of course my wheel spoke blocks my oil light perfectly through the turn. I now just carry my speed through that turn, off the accelerator and idling the engine. I would consider my driving up there to be equivalent to tracking it though. I only run up there in the winter to avoid bikes and tourists and will often spend 4-6 hours driving back and forth and it's only 11 miles long. Sometimes I have to pull over to give my clutch a break because it'll start slipping after 3-4 runs, so I'm at it pretty hard. With that being said, I've also spun bearings on other various back roads throughout Tennessee, but it's ALWAYS through left hand turns. I am well aware of the oiling deficiencies of the FS engine, so the oil is always full. Actually, I will usually run ~.5 quart over full to possibly combat it, but it's never helped. So, in short, yes, I'd get the Doc B.

Wowzer!!!...One of the FEW that drive the protg (2thumbs)

MP3 racer did a baffled pan, if you look at the "DOC B" thread you can see the design.....He did indicated that it was labor intensive, I wonder if he will do like 5 pans if we could get that many. I'd like to keep my AWR because of the increased oil capacity.

Wowzer!!!...One of the FEW that drive the protg (2thumbs)

Yeah, but no one ever sees it that way. They just always say, "Preferio broke it again" or something along those lines. I drive it like I want to drive it. If I break it, I don't get upset. It's just expected. Cars aren't like us, they're not organic, they don't heal themselves.

The AWR Pan is well worth the money, along with the DOC B set up. I do track my MSP and I have not had an issue since going in that direction. You're better off paying now, than paying later, learn from the mistakes of us long time owners.

I always viewed the largest benefit of the AWR pan to be the additional oil volume it holds. When the a lot of oil is in the head at high rpm, there is still oil left in the pan for the pump. Also helps with oil temp. I tracked an MSP for thousands of miles with an AWR pan and never had an oil issue.

I always viewed the largest benefit of the AWR pan to be the additional oil volume it holds. When the a lot of oil is in the head at high rpm, there is still oil left in the pan for the pump. Also helps with oil temp. I tracked an MSP for thousands of miles with an AWR pan and never had an oil issue.

Was this with or without the doc b oil pump?

Last edited:
Back