bad reception...shark fin

cruzdreamer

:
Former owner of Mazda CX 7 GT Electric Blue
I installed my shark fin and it seemed ok at first and now the reception is pretty bad on several stations which I had no issues before. Is there a good way to remove it if necessary...any ideas??...love the fin look...argh! Not trying to bash it, just dealing with an issue that may be limited to me....others I know have had better reception. It was easy to hook up...afix screw to antenna...held on by 3m and foam pad. thanks for any help....left message in group buy marketplace too.

fixed?

Hi cruzdreamer, did you get the reception issue resolved? I was thinking of getting this mod but don't want to have bad receptions. Thanks

This is an issue I brought up during the very first post about this shark fin mod loosing reception. The Einsteins here pretty much told me I was wrong, But clearly anything over the air requires either an inline amp to boost the signal. Or an antenna with better line of sight. I for one do not like the idea of getting rid of the stock antenna for shark fin but to each is there own.

Sorry your loosing reception dude.

No, I still get crummy reception on lots of stations.....am I the only one....I listen to my cd's now more since I am afraid to remove the antenna for now.

On the rare occasion that I listen to radio I get great reception with my shark fin. Can't tell the difference between it and regular antenna. But I live right in a metro area so I'm relatively close to the stations.

Any time I'm traveling I'm generally listening to Satellite.

On topic, I think... A couple of weeks ago the missus had the "7" washed at a full service center. They removed the stock antenna mast and did not replace it (left it in the back seat). We found it last Sunday.

Point is that we didn't notice any loss of signal during the 2 weeks with no antenna mast at all. But again, we're in a metro area.

I think overall the car has crappy reception. I will say though, one factor may be the mountains here but I never had reception problems in my Explorer or Camaro...only in the CX-7 and TSX. I think it has something to do w/ the smaller built-in anntanes on the roof as opposed to those long whips stuck onto the cars of old.

Still having issues...I use to have Sirius...hmm...maybe I will go back at some point...bad, bad reception....now I listen to cd's only! Nobody has ever removed one of these? Any helpful hints to do it carefully and get it back on?

^Use an adhesive remover... available at any auto parts store. Spray some on (it's paint safe usually, check your brand), let sit for 5 minutes, then start scraping underneath the antennae with a credit card... or dental floss. I use dental floss. Anyway just keep spraying and using the cc or dental floss until you get it all the way off. Once you have it off you can get all the old tape residue off the antennae. If you ever want to put it back on, just go buy a roll of the 3m double sided adhesive tape and slap it back on.

poor reception

i had poor reception with and with out the antenna. i started to use my iphone to listen to stations and found it was much better.

Back