Bad inner tie rod end and front sway bar link...Saefty issue?

Hmm...Well, I was sitting in the car with the engine OFF. Moved the steering wheel quickly (not far mind you) and was getting a clunking noise. Does that point toward the tie rod end or the sway bar link - i'm guessing the tie rod end?

Again, I was sort of under the car, and the inner tie rod end seemed solid as did the outer, but I'm no mechanic.

The bottom end of the sway bar link looks in bad shape (looks ripped) , but like I said, no movement by hand.

Every protege I have been in has that clunk from the driver side wheel, I don't know what it is, but I didn't see any work parts.

You can't see when tie rod ends go bad unless its already too late. You need to lift the front of the car and feel any slop in the components.

Replace the links, they aren't expensive.

My moms car had brand new links and would clunk really loud after a week of driving. 6 months later I discovered that 1 of the nuts from the link was loose. The only way I could tell is If tried to tighten it further, moving it by hand showed NO play. Once I tightened it, It was fine.

I've been told tie rod ends when worn or bad do not really make noise, it's more a feel of sloppiness. Is this true? If that is the case, the clunking noise, even with the engine off and quickly moving the steering wheel is probably the end link? Does that sound right?

If I jack that wheel up and check for play by grabbing at 3 and 9 oclock, that should tell me if it is the tie rod end correct?

Tie rod ends can definitely make noise. Reach underneath and push/pull in every direction on the tie rods. There should be no play aside from the pivoting motion.

Grabbing at 3 and 9 will not necessarily tell you if a tie rod is bad.

I get a clunking noise too if I move the wheel quickly while stopped. I don't find anything wrong.

Back