Backup Camera is flawed

Maybe a 2017 owner can comment on night operation of the reverse camera....

Maybe a 2017 owner can comment on night operation of the reverse camera....

Absolutely terrific in my '17!

The bright led backup lights really help and the resolution is decent.
I DO have an issue with water droplets when it's raining, but the RainX idea will be tried to resolve the issue.

Absolutely terrific in my '17!

The bright led backup lights really help and the resolution is decent.
I DO have an issue with water droplets when it's raining, but the RainX idea will be tried to resolve the issue.

Thanks for advising :D

Does anyone know if the setup of the backup camera has changed on the 2017 CX-5 as compared to how it was on earlier models? I had a 2013 CX-5 GT and not once over the 5+ years I had it did the camera ever show water sitting on the camera, and now that the rainy season is here in Vancouver, I have noticed the last couple of days that water just sits on the lens of the camera, pretty much rendering it useless. Anyone have any tricks or have anyone talked to anyone at Mazda about the design on the 2017?

I completely agree! I'm also in Vancouver and the rear backup cam is totally useless in rain.

It could also be the poor resolution of the screen. I can't comment on the 2017 screen, but the 2016 screen has poor resolution. My phone (S7) has better resolution than my infotainment screen. I even thing my S3mini had better screen resolution than the CX-5.

At night, with the back up lights on, the screen is really grainy and details are not very detailed. I could have sworn, the purpose of the backup camera was to aid in backing up as another source of information and to help the driver see if there was anything immediately behind the vehicle.

Now, if someone is trying to parallel park at night, in the rain, I think there is enough detail, plus the distance lines to give an accurate picture to not hit the car behind you.

I've tried adjusting the screen's brightness/contrast in both the "Day" (lights off) and "Night" (lights on) settings and going up and down with each in the two categories does not really change the results.

I'm sure things would be different if the screen/backup camera were the rear view "mirror". If that were its main function, I'm hoping the screen resolution would be different.

Maybe the camera used just does not do well in low light conditions. Again, Mazda has been accused of cutting costs on certain things in the CX-5 and maybe a low res, poor spec camera is just another cost saving measure.

+1

And for me it wasn't just the poor camera resolution. I couldn't see well looking out the rear window when backing up at night either. Luckily I don't drive much at night, and I know my driveway well enuff such that I could just back up without worrying about hitting anything.

It's a Mazda thing not a CX-5 alone thing

No, its a backup camera thing. It sits outside exposed in the weather as theres nowhere else. All cars suffer in the same way but its a secondary assistance device and not a substitute for looking properly and using mirrors. Its not long since these things were unheard of and we seemed to manage quite well without throwing the towel in and declaring reversing in the rain an impossibility.

No, its a backup camera thing. It sits outside exposed in the weather as theres nowhere else. All cars suffer in the same way but its a secondary assistance device and not a substitute for looking properly and using mirrors. Its not long since these things were unheard of and we seemed to manage quite well without throwing the towel in and declaring reversing in the rain an impossibility.

What I meant was it's a Mazda thing meaning the location of the camera and lack of protection from the elements.

Some cars suffer it more than others.

It could also be the poor resolution of the screen. I can't comment on the 2017 screen, but the 2016 screen has poor resolution. My phone (S7) has better resolution than my infotainment screen. I even thing my S3mini had better screen resolution than the CX-5.

At night, with the back up lights on, the screen is really grainy and details are not very detailed. I could have sworn, the purpose of the backup camera was to aid in backing up as another source of information and to help the driver see if there was anything immediately behind the vehicle.

Now, if someone is trying to parallel park at night, in the rain, I think there is enough detail, plus the distance lines to give an accurate picture to not hit the car behind you.

I've tried adjusting the screen's brightness/contrast in both the "Day" (lights off) and "Night" (lights on) settings and going up and down with each in the two categories does not really change the results.

I'm sure things would be different if the screen/backup camera were the rear view "mirror". If that were its main function, I'm hoping the screen resolution would be different.

Maybe the camera used just does not do well in low light conditions. Again, Mazda has been accused of cutting costs on certain things in the CX-5 and maybe a low res, poor spec camera is just another cost saving measure.

As stated, mine IS a 2016. Screen resolution is absolutely fine for the task required.

What I meant was it's a Mazda thing meaning the location of the camera and lack of protection from the elements.

Some cars suffer it more than others.

Yeah, I read one of these revoo reports for the Kia Soul and once one mentioned that the rear camera was no good in the rain, they all did. My spectacles are no good in the rain. Getting old is a pain!

Yeah, I read one of these revoo reports for the Kia Soul and once one mentioned that the rear camera was no good in the rain, they all did. My spectacles are no good in the rain. Getting old is a pain!
Probably the best one is the VW as it hides behind the badge which then acts like an awning over the camera

2014 here. Works just fine at night. If it's not, maybe check that your reverse lights are working???

As for rain/snow, yeah that puts my backup camera out of commission. Rain-X helps, but only goes so far.

I have zero problems at night or in the rain. How bad is it raining where you people are? A few drops doesn't make it unusable to me.

I have zero problems at night or in the rain. How bad is it raining where you people are? A few drops doesn't make it unusable to me.

Few drops, no problem. A rainstorm, or snowstorm on the other hand, I have to go clean off the lens otherwise too much water on it to be used.

Back