Back-up Camera

jetstreamblue

:
2012 Mazda5 GS
I wanted to get a back-up camera for the car, and decided I didn't want to get the ones that attach to the license plate, mostly because I was concerned about the legality of blocking part of the plate. And I wanted something more OEM looking.
Found and ordered a camera specifically for the 2012 Mazda5 from eBay, clips to one of the license plate lights. The seller was really quick, used DHL and it arrived all the way from China in just 3 days! Now I have the camera installed and still waiting for my mirror monitor to go along with it to ship over by snail mail :p In the meantime, have it hooked up to an old 4" LCD monitor just to test. The camera is 170 degrees, and aimed so that the bumper edge is just visible on the bottom of the screen. I cheaped out and got a CMOS model instead of springing for the CCD, but I think it does the job, just need to be able to see objects in the way. Will post pics of the monitor and images once that arrives.

Mississauga-20121105-00027.jpg
Mississauga-20121105-00028.jpg
Mississauga-20121105-00029.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, looks OEM. I was thinking about doing this as well for my wife who primarily drives the car now. My options were 1) Replace the stock head unit with Pioneer one with Navi and Backup Camera or replace the rear view mirror that has the embedded LCD for the backup camera. Not sure which route I'd like to take; option one seems more logical but I really do not want to lose any functionality of steering wheel control and music info on the upper center console display.
I wanted to get a back-up camera for the car, and decided I didn't want to get the ones that attach to the license plate, mostly because I was concerned about the legality of blocking part of the plate. And I wanted something more OEM looking.
Found and ordered a camera specifically for the 2012 Mazda5 from eBay, clips to one of the license plate lights. The seller was really quick, used DHL and it arrived all the way from China in just 3 days! Now I have the camera installed and still waiting for my mirror monitor to go along with it to ship over by snail mail :p In the meantime, have it hooked up to an old 4" LCD monitor just to test. The camera is 170 degrees, and aimed so that the bumper edge is just visible on the bottom of the screen. I cheaped out and got a CMOS model instead of springing for the CCD, but I think it does the job, just need to be able to see objects in the way. Will post pics of the monitor and images once that arrives.

View attachment 199179
View attachment 199180
View attachment 199181

As promised, a picture of the mirror monitor after I get it installed.
Viewability under sunlight is a bit of an issue, but otherwise, works good.

Toronto-20121108-00034.jpg

That looks awesome. How does it look like when it's off? Did you have to remove the factory mirror then install the LCD behind it or did you replace the mirror assembly altogether?

It looks very much like a normal mirror when off, except it's slightly tinted, and you lose the night mirror function. It's a clip-on on top of the factory mirror, so it's a very quick and easy install.
The power goes to it all the time, but the display only comes alive when it detects a signal. Takes about 1-2 seconds before the image comes on after you shift into reverse.

Do you have the links you used for the purchase of the camera and the mirror monitor? I'd like to be able to get the products that you showed us in pictures because they look like a good setup. How well does the backup camera work at night? Is there enough light from the car's backup lights to allow the camera to see well in the dark? Thanks so much.

Do you have the links you used for the purchase of the camera and the mirror monitor? I'd like to be able to get the products that you showed us in pictures because they look like a good setup. How well does the backup camera work at night? Is there enough light from the car's backup lights to allow the camera to see well in the dark? Thanks so much.

Here you go:
The mirror monitor - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-3-inch-TFT-LCD-Digital-Rearview-LCD-monitor-Mirror2CH-Video-input-/251144072512?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item3a795a6d40
The camera - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2012-Mazda-5-CMOS-NTSC-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Reverse-Waterproof-Camera-/280992218470?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3A5&hash=item416c70fd66&vxp=mtr

The camera doesn't work as well at night as I want. If I were to do it again, I'd consider getting the more expensive CCD camera instead, which should give better night performance:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170-Wide-Angle-CCD-NTSC-Car-Rear-View-Reversing-Camera-Fits-for-2012-Mazda-5-/180993346239?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a240b4abf&vxp=mtr

You can also consider other monitor options. I'm finding the glare in the mirror when it's bright outside makes it a bit difficult to see the image. It may be better if you have tinted windows.

Here you go:
The mirror monitor - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-3-inch-TFT-LCD-Digital-Rearview-LCD-monitor-Mirror2CH-Video-input-/251144072512?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item3a795a6d40
The camera - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2012-Mazda-5-CMOS-NTSC-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Reverse-Waterproof-Camera-/280992218470?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3A5&hash=item416c70fd66&vxp=mtr

The camera doesn't work as well at night as I want. If I were to do it again, I'd consider getting the more expensive CCD camera instead, which should give better night performance:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170-Wide-Angle-CCD-NTSC-Car-Rear-View-Reversing-Camera-Fits-for-2012-Mazda-5-/180993346239?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a240b4abf&vxp=mtr

You can also consider other monitor options. I'm finding the glare in the mirror when it's bright outside makes it a bit difficult to see the image. It may be better if you have tinted windows.

Awesome, I might consider of doing this since the price seems right. Thank you sir!

Parts arrived today. And of course I stuck already. Can you please hint me on how to remove liftgate trim?

Back