Back-to-Back Thrashings of the MS3/6 , the Winner is ....

SeanMSIII

Hey, all. I know at least a couple you have done back-to-back test drives in these cars. But, as someone who probably has more combined miles in them than anyone else, I thought I'd do my own test drive on this quiet Sunday morning.

I just took both cars on a route which includes some pretty serious 60+ mph uphill and downhill cornering and ends with a low-speed hairpin turn. I finished it all off with a pretty rigourous launch on a slight incline followed by flat-out accelreration up up the incline to about 70 mph. This is all subjective impression, since I didn't time anything and just glanced at the speedometer during the corners to try to get an idea of how fast I was taking them.

First, I haven't driven the 6 much in the last two weeks since I'm trying to keep the miles down before I sell it. Surprise, surprise, it does feel a lot roomier after driving the 3 for a few days. A fair amount more room to swing your elbows around. But leg room feels pretty close. My right knee doesn't have really have much more space to lean out than it does in the 3. It ends up resting against the center console with about the same amount of force in both cars. The 3 is a little more intimate, but still adequate and gives much more of a sense of being in the cockpit, especially the way the bolsters grab hold of one's (well, at least my) love handles. It's just a sportier feel. Looking back at the back seats, I'd say the 6 has appropriate seating room for adults and the 3 . . . not so much. In the 3, adults would probably feel a little contrained and inclined to keep their hands folded in their laps. In the 6 most adults could gesticulate comfortably without fear of smacking one another in the face. The back seats of the 3 are best suited to individuals under 4.5 feet tall (such as my kids).

Driving down the road, the 6 has some road noise but almost none of the gear noise the 3 has. It rides a little higher and has a more solid, protected feel than the 3, which is less isolated. In the 3 you feel and hear a lot more of the road surface. The noise from the 3's AC is also louder. Engine noise has already been covered, but even aside from the exhaust noise, you pick up on more engine noise and vibration in the 3.

Stepping on the gas from 20-30 mph, I've revised my initial impression that the 6 has a more visceral feel under acceleration . They both have fantastic pull and it's pretty much a draw as to which has more acceleration. I think the AWD compensates for the 6's lower power-to-weight ratio and also keeps it from doing the little FWD rock-back thing that the 3 does. That may be why it felt faster to me before, but now they feel indistinguishably close.

Into the corners, the 3 gives you a better view of where you're headed and telegraphs the road surface a little more than the 6. Steering feel is a little lighter on the 6. Both cars allow you to throw them into the corner equally hard, but the 6 feels more solid and less likely to be diverted from the chosen line. Much more of the "on rails" feel. Probably just b/c I've taken these corners so many more times in the 6, I was able to take them about 5 mph faster than in the 3. I think I was braking harder in the 3 and slowing down more b/c I could see and feel the road better. So it put a little more fear of death in me. But I'm sure that will decrease as I get more corners under my belt. Cool This time I was able to get just a little bit of rear-end slide out of the 6, so I also revise my opinion that the 6 seemed to have better grip but made me feel it would be less predictable when it broke grip. I now think they both break traction predictably, with the 3 breaking grip sooner but telegraphing it more. Last but not least, the hairpin turn. I took it in 2nd gear in both cars. As you might expect, I was able to get the 3 whipped around, righted, and back under acceleration much more quickly than the heavier 6. This is partly just a reflection of my driving abilities, since a better driver might be able to take the turn at a higher speed in the 6 and catch it higher in its powerband after completing the turn. Or maybe they'd be able to put the AWD to better use. Anyway, the hairpin was a lot easier in the 3 for a self-ranked "advanced intermediate" like myself (happens to be my downhill skiing self-ranking as well).

Now for the straight line acceleration portion of the route. As I said above, I started with a fairly rigourous launch and then accelerated flat out to about 70 mph. The 6's launch was great as always. Grips strongly right off the bat without seeming to waste a single quantum of engine power as you transition off the clutch pedal. Acceleration up the incline was great as I just ladled a big gob of torque onto the road in between each gear change and found myself at the unofficial speed limit in no time flat. The 3's launch was first blood on the tires and clutch and all-in-all, it does very well. You absolutely do not need more than the ECU-managed torque unless you are primarily interested in finding out what the steel belts look like once the rubber is removed. After launch, a little bit of quickly corrected redirection from torque steer, a tire chirp in 2nd, and I was scooting forward ladling out the same big gobs of power as in the 6 and, boom, 70 mph on the speedo.

I guess there's not a lot of new info here. For me, it's a new appreciation for the cornering ability of the relatively stately 6 as I get ready to bid it adieu in favor of the more fun and engaging 3. It really does boil down to a matter of preference. How do you like your wolf in sheep's clothing? If you want it to look good in a button down Oxford with a nice tie, I'd go with the 6. Polo shirt, shorts, and sandles okay with you? Go with the 3. They are both great cars!

the ms6 does have a double wishbone suspension all around, which is probably why you felt that way when you drove it

hands down, the ms6 does have a much more refined interior... better fit and finish and plastics (of course a normal US built 6 just can't measure up to the japanese built ms6's quality!)

both cars understeer pretty badly but being AWD in the ms6, it does seem a bit more stable... the better feedback you get from the 3 (the noise, vibration, and other "unrefined" things you've notice in the 3) makes up for that... I find that the steering feel in the ms6 is more balanced and well weighted compared to the ms3's although they both equally have a numb road feel in them... but one thing is for sure, the ms6 does have more body roll than the ms3

but you're right, they're both great cars but they're designed and marketed for different people... the ms6 being a more well refined "touring" car and the ms3 being more of a driver's car... it's really a tough choice between the luxurious ms6 GT and the balls to the wall performance of the ms3 GT

Great review. I sat in my friend's MS3 and noticed that you tend to sit much lower in the MS3 compared to the MS6. Like you said, both great cars. I don't regret going the MS6 route.

Back