Baby seats and the Mazda5

...the Forester and Outback. Both a bit more expensive than we'd like and seem to have less room in the back than the 5 (or Rondo). I am really only concerned about the time the kid will be in the rear-facing convertible.

True, luckily our eldest was already front facing when we bought the Forester so only the passenger had to suffer (slightly). Now both are front facing so we have tons of room (ha-ha).

Car seat website

For more responses, check out http://carseatdata.org/. It's a consumer-reporting site where parents rate the installation and fit of their car seat into various car models. Most of the Mazda5 feedback is on Britax and Sunshine Kids Radian car seats.

I just had a 5 as a loaner while my Speed6 was in for service at Mazda, and it was wonderful getting the baby seat in and out. Worlds better than the 6 in that department.

My brother (6') sat shotgun with the baby behind him, and momma(5'4") sat behind me(6'1"), and we all were very comfortable.

I just had a 5 as a loaner while my Speed6 was in for service at Mazda, and it was wonderful getting the baby seat in and out. Worlds better than the 6 in that department.

My brother (6') sat shotgun with the baby behind him, and momma(5'4") sat behind me(6'1"), and we all were very comfortable.

Yeah, best thing since sliced bread with kids on car seats. Sliding doors also add to the factor, especially on Winter and tight garages :D.

BTW, I have an extra Mazda5, PM me if you wanna trade your "uncomfortable" MS6, LOL (lol2)

After awhile, you don't think about it anymore. Just slide the door open, and install baby on the seat. No bending down. And if baby seat is at driver side 2nd row, other passenger can come in and out and no need to move baby.

Yeah, best thing since sliced bread with kids on car seats. Sliding doors also add to the factor, especially on Winter and tight garages :D.

Especially my garage! I can even get to the passenger side of my car so I have to climb across to belt my son in!

Intrested in why you would want a convertible car seat in stead of a infant carrier. The convertible will take up much more room, plus you will have to buckle the baby in and out every time you get in and out of the car.

I have twin 8 week olds that sit in the second row in these seats http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2979403 I picked tese seats because they have a less length between the seat back and the end of the infant seat. Also twin 5 year olds on the third row, in booster seats. now Im only 5'9" and my wife is only 5' but we also have this sitting between the passanger front and passanger middle row with carrier loaded http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2958408

If you have never taken a new born in and out of the straps of a car seat, let me tell you that its not something you want to do every time you get out of the car. This goes double in cold weather.

For use of the third row the sliding doors are leaps and bounds above fold/slide forward 2nd row like the Rondo. Plus when the kid is big enough to strap themself in booster you can put it in third row and they have easy pass through.

With all my kids this car is awesome, we have to get creative with cargo sometimes but hey for 10K less and 5-6 more mpg than a seiena or odyssey, Im loving it. Plus mine is a stick whhooo hooo!!!

Intrested in why you would want a convertible car seat in stead of a infant carrier. The convertible will take up much more room, plus you will have to buckle the baby in and out every time you get in and out of the car.

Good question. We started with a Graco infant carrier. Invaluable for the first few months, but our son outgrew it by 5 months. I would advise getting the largest infant carrier (at least I seem to remember some being a little bigger).

The big reason for the convertible seat is that most boosters anymore are front facing. In our case, front facing a 6mo old was not in the cards. Thankfully, sliding doors, plus the ride height of the 5 make ingress/egress pretty effortless.

I have twin 8 week olds that sit in the second row in these seats. I picked tese seats because they have a less length between the seat back and the end of the infant seat. Also twin 5 year olds on the third row, in booster seats

My only comment is: Double twins! Wow and congrats on the 2nd batch of little ones :D

To protect the (cloth) seat in our 5 I have a bath sized towel, doubled up, under each of the 3 child seats......Handy too if you need a quick clean up or even a blanket! Forgot to bring a towel to our daughter's swim lesson once - Voila!!!!

Greg,

We've had great luck with our Britax car seats. They are expensive, but are excellent. Hopefully my Britax will be in my new Mazda5 within a week or 2. Still pricing them out to let the dealerships battle it out.

I will second that. We've had three britax seats, and they have been excellent. They're a bit larger than some others on the market, but they are very comfortable and very protective.

I traded my caddy CTS in on the 5 for the very reason it was the only car that the car seat would fit in. makes more sense to put the seat behind the passenger, however, I had it behind me, and it fit fine....

the 5 is the best family car available. I love it. we bought ours may 07 and paid it off this past nov. Now we have the family mover that dont cost us a cent.

that means I can get my mid life crisis car sooner he he. A stang v6 superchaged with the "elenor" kit on it.

Car seat fit was near the top of my list of things to look for when shopping for a new car, with an 8-month-old and another on the way.

Our Evenflo convertible (rear-facing for now) fits fine behind either driver or passenger side with the front seat all the way back, and leaves room for some reclining, which is a big improvement over our Protege5. The new baby will be in a Graco SnugRide at first, which we know from previous experience takes up less room than the convertible.

...with an 8-month-old and another on the way.
Lucky man! Before baby#1 my wife was saying "can we have a baby?" and I was saying "no way." Now I'm saying "can we have 6 more?" and she's like "no way."

I'm working on her though. :)

I have a Britax boulevard in my Mazda5 and I was curious if anyone has had problems with car seats on leather? I've read that the cupboard liner stuff actually melts onto leather and that some of the car seat protectors/towels are unsafe. Baby is top priority, but if I can save my new seat, I will do that, too.

I use a waffle microfiber chamios under my kids seats mostly to absorb the inevitable spills but they also protect the seats pretty well from car seat dents.

I have a Britax boulevard in my Mazda5 and I was curious if anyone has had problems with car seats on leather? I've read that the cupboard liner stuff actually melts onto leather and that some of the car seat protectors/towels are unsafe. Baby is top priority, but if I can save my new seat, I will do that, too.

I find the anti slip car seat mats (comes in 2 piece) work best. They will help protect the leather and prevent the child seat from slipping.

I find the anti slip car seat mats (comes in 2 piece) work best. They will help protect the leather and prevent the child seat from slipping.

I got mine from the baby section of toys 'r us. Unprotected, the bottom of the brittax can cause indentation on the seat cushion..

Last edited:
Back