baby over protege5

:
Indiana
:
2017 CX-5
We bought our protege5 a year ago w/ the intentions of having a family car that doesn't look so bland. Well now we have a baby and the car seat doesn't fit in the back (unless I sit straight up and pushed up to the wheel).

Now my wife wants a minivan. Possibly a Chevy Venture. We will end up trading the car in and getting a van but I don't want to have to pay for the car and the van.....this is going to be crap.

I just bought hawk pads for the front and satisfied pads for the back....now I'm not going to put them on. I'll save them for MY pr5, five speed, built to have a turbo installed.....one day this will happen (i hope)

You getting rid of the car or just getting a van in addition?
If your getting rid of it, get a smaller child seat...or tell your wife you'll just strap the kid in the back trunk :)

Good God, man, not a Chevy Venture! We have 3 small kids and use the P5 as our primary vehicle and it does great. Look for a rear-facing seat with a smaller footprint and put it in the center rear spot. It would be much cheaper than buying a van. Blech!

Having owned both the Venture and the current MPV I can tell you that the Venture is no longer taking up space in our garage for good reasons.

my friends mom had a venture and she ended up getting rid of it after it had a lot of problems. the one that broke the straw was the hood latch failed and the hood shattered the window, bent the roof and scared the crap out of her...

you have a few options.....

1. get a smaller child safety seat that will fit in the back.....I am thinking you and your wife must be really tall if the front seats require you to put them that far back tha the child seat won't fit....or its a HUGE seat...

2. don't get the chevy......if you must go outside mazda....get a dodge/chrystler Caravan....or Grand Caravan....you will be much more satisfied.....

3. have the passanger side air bag disabled and put the child seat up front facing backwards and have the wife sit in the back. :{D

davco said:
We bought our protege5 a year ago w/ the intentions of having a family car that doesn't look so bland. Well now we have a baby and the car seat doesn't fit in the back (unless I sit straight up and pushed up to the wheel).

Is the car seat strapped in the middle section of the rear seat? Otherwise, couldn't you just put it behind the passenger's seat and make that seat sit more upright? Are you putting the seat in the middle thinking it is more safe there than it would be in one of the spots directly behind the seats if you were ever t-boned? And are you thinking that the minivan would be safer for your kids if you were in an accident? Well the chances of you being t-boned in the p5 are not any greater than you being put in an emergency manuevering situation in which a minivan is ill equiped to handle. Just because a vehicle is bigger, doesn't necessarily mean it's safer. As a new parent, you are probably thinking that you would do anything to keep your kid safe. Just don't get hooked by the minivan marketing gurus into thinking that you have to be in a minivan to be safe. However, I understand about minivans being functional - I have a 2000 Grand Caravan and 02 P5. Best of both worlds. I love having both.

I may have just read alot in between the lines that wasn't there to begin with, forgive me if I did. Just trying to help you with your decision.

My kid's baby seat fits perfectly. Did you use the baby seat anchors? There's two little metal loops that stick out between the seat cushions (backrest and seat) on all cars sold after 2002. Hook the seat to those and crank 'er down. :)

I thought the safest place for a car seat was in the center facing backwards?

This way the child is sheilded the most form side impacts and has no chance of being wacked by things flying from the front of the car.

As most have said, the venture is crap, do not get one, ever. My family had one for 5 years, and those 5 years were hell. The thing had constant problems(one being the brakes needed to be replaced...about 3 times in the time we had it, which is way too many, not just like pads, the full brake system. My mother hated hers, she traded it as soon as it was payed for her new MZ3, she's now much happier, like others have said, a smaller seat will work wonders, or, if your wife is really set on a minivan, check out the MPV, and Mazda will cut you a good deal, since your trading a P5 for a minivan for your family, they will be somewhat nicer than Chevy would be. Please, people, NEVER buy a Venture, I have never seen a vehicle with so many problems. Here's a small list
-passenger side sliding door won't work(gas tank sensor rusts in first year, and cannot be replaced, making the ECU sense the gas door is open, and won't allow you to open the door)
-Brakes(the warp faster than my mind did)
-Tranny(very weak)
-windows(manual window gear stripped several times, and I hear the autos have just as many problems)
-Door panels on interior(not attatched very well, came off very easily, and all sorts of other parts came off also)
-Engine(very sparatic...timing was thrown off easily, would burn lean sometimes, rich others, and not all all other times)
-Starter(very poor starter, burnt out quickly)
-Exhaust system(got REALLY hot, and plastic bags got stuc to it on several occasions, plus AC water drips on exhaust, causing rusted through exhaust a few times)(Exhaust hangers sucked, deteriorating once a year(seasonal change)
-Gas Mileage(Worse than my aunts full size SUV)
Comfort(poorly desinged interior proved to be very uncomfotable, both for passengers, and driver, the position was uncomfortable, especially for a van)
-Belts(our belt slipped often, no matter how many times we replaced them, tightened them, bought new pulleys, etc)
-Intake Manifold(cracked on us once, and ****** up the engine pretty good(this was near the end of our time with it, so it didn't cause any of these problems which existed prior to all this))
-Suspension(very wrong for a minivan, and it felt as such. Went through struts quickly too)

Overall, it was the worst vehicle we have ever owned, including our 1989 Chevy Sprint(3 cyl manual 75hp(if really really reall really lucky)) which lasted 12 years of abuse. The newer chevy gets, the worse their quality seems to be getting, atleast Ford is somewhat improving, and Dailmer-Chrysler is getting to be very good, GM seems to be going downhill, car quality, sales etc. Oh and also, the dealship we had, where a bunch of brainless useless titbags ever. We then had Mazda service our van. bad bad van man.

RaiderMP5 said:
Chevy Ventures are unsafe, and since made my GM, they are crap. Check outthe crash test results: http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm
Boy am I glad we never got in an accident, and it's a good thing that one time someone turned left infront of me while passing(he had no signal, or brake lights, thank you farmer with pickup truck) and I avoided him by literally two inches..I woulda died. Boy am I glad mazda is safety oriented, not like chevy with the big engine, we strong, we bad, we big we tuff attitude towards cars. DINKS

Just wondering how many deciblas you are hittin with those two twelves. I was thinking of a stereo very similar to that and am wondering if it pounds or what. Especially cause the P5 has a hatch.
Thanx.

DeanSweet said:
Having owned both the Venture and the current MPV I can tell you that the Venture is no longer taking up space in our garage for good reasons.

WOW........I'm not sure how to react about the venture. I did some research and 8/10 reviews were great (this was for the 2002 model). These were reviews from actual owners.

I'm 6'1 which isn't terribly tall. The child seat is in the middle. We had it installed by the fire department. My wife wants a van for more room. She could care less about how fast the protege will take a corner. I showed her once and that was all it took for her to tell me she didn't care. Safety is an issue and I didn't know that the venture was that sucky.

We test drove a couple of vans and she liked the way the Venture felt. Really I don't care b/c I have a work truck to drive and when I get rid of that I will get another p5 or mp3 or possibly a mazda3 hatch.

We went buy the mazda dealership and they were not open to allow test drives. I'll check it out.

It is pretty scary, the disregard American automakers have for safety, compared with Japanese vehicles. That is why I own Mazdas. My friend had a GMC Safari, until I showed her the crash test results. She has a Toyota now.

If you like the P5 style, look at the 6 wagon. It looks like a bigger P5. Of course, it is not the same. But it is bigger. I like the MPV as well, but I guess I just favor Mazda.

Keep us posted on what you do get, and good luck!

i had my 3 cousins in the back of my P5 last fall. two child seats and one full car seat.....was tight but all three fit in the back of my P5. wish I had taken a pic.....

Davco - What child seat do you have? And how old is your little one? I have the Alpha Omega by Cosco -- it fits an infant all the way up to the point we won't need it anymore (hence the name). I never had it rear facing, but I imagine it wouldn't take up that much room. My previous car (2001 Focus sedan) fit my son's infant carrier and base without a problem, and I doubt that had more room than my P5.

Be careful of the middle seat section -- they say it's the safest, but look at your manual. The LATCH restraints are farther apart and the seat has to be designed specifically for those wider attachment points or they (or the seat) could fail. Not very safe. My son sits behind my wife and I don't fear for his safety. Our car gets decent crash ratings (4 stars for the rear on side impacts), and I'm careful when I drive with him in the car -- I don't rush out into traffic from a sidestreet -- a major cause of side impacts. Now I just have to deal with him (2 years old) kicking the back of the passenger seat. I've seen one protector online and it was crap. I'll probably design and make my own -- maybe start a limited production if it works out well. ;)

Honestly - look at the Alpha Omega (http://www.shopping.com/xGS-alpha_omega_car_seat). It cost me $120, but the infant carrier was $60 and a toddler/booster seat would be $80-100, so it ends up cheaper in the end. Plus it's gray and black, so it matches the car -- a minor bonus compared to the design and safety of the seat. They say Britax is the best, but Consumer Reports just published a recall on them...so take the reviews with a grain of salt.

If you want to bounce ideas off me, just PM me. My child's safety is always #1, so you'll get my honest opinion.

Last edited:
I've got a Graco Snug-Ride rear facing infant seat. It fits just fine in the middle of the back seat.

Back