BA Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo MkII

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
falcon-xr6t-1.JPG

You'd be forgiven for thinking that Ford's updated 'MkII' Falcon range is less of an update and more of a marketing exercise.

Let's say I'm a casual driver, that I'm no enthusiast for example, and I stroll past a MkII XR6 Turbo. I didn't spot the new 17-inch alloy wheels - as appealing as they are - nor the MkII badge on the rear. In my casual driver's guise it looks like a very-well kept BA Falcon from a couple of years ago.

So visually not a lot has happened between MkI and this here MkII, but the changes are there. Somewhere...

Granted, they're not even half as extensive as Holden's update from VY to VZ, and depending on which camp you follow, Ford or Holden, you'll subscribe to theory A) that Ford's BA Falcon was such a brilliant car to begin with little needed to be changed or that B) Ford is living on borrowed time and it spent too much cash on its soccer mum SUV, the Territory, and that Ford's aren't worth spitting on and so and so forth.

Most entry-level MkII Falcon's come in for minor-but-welcome changes, such as cruise control and auto headlights, but the XR6 Turbo benefits from a few mechanical upgrades, and many of them are performance-based, which made this writer quite happy...

Drive

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 align=right bgColor=#e7efe7 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
falcon-xr6t-2.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
falcon-xr6t-4.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
falcon-xr6t-3.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
Ford's flying Falcon XR6 Turbo is a keener

cornering machine with the 6-speed manual

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This is the second time I've driven a Falcon XR6 Turbo, but the first time with a manual transmission.

I was rather taken with the 4-speed sportshift automatic gearbox from the original MkI XR6 Turbo, which just seemed to gel perfectly with the torque-laden powerplant.

And though the all-new and very shiny T56 Tremec 6-speed manual gearbox in the MkII is quite a treat, it's also a very different beast to the auto slusher.

It's not quite as good for circle work and general tomfoolery, and you'll bugger the clutch quick smart by dumping more than 400Nm of torque through it from standstill, but while the hooligan factor has been relaxed somewhat with the manual shifter, it becomes a more decisive, tightly honed cornering machine, one which I had a lot of fun driving.

The 6-speed manual gearbox is actually the same item that Holden uses in its V8s, such as the Monaro and the SS Commodore, but in its Blue Oval costume the ratios are a little closer and it definitely feels stronger and a little quicker in a straight line.

Of course having 450Nm of torque on tap from just 2000rpm also contributes to this impressive straight line acceleration, and despite the car handling very nicely for something that weighs too much (where's the CSL version?), tipping the scales at just under 1700kg, there was a sense of 'slow in, fast out' through unfamiliar corners, and just a touch of early understeer.

If you push in to a corner too hard and fast, the car's bulk and momentum prohibits it from quickly tucking in, and you crash.

The steering is great though, very confidence inspiring; it's sharp, responsive and not as heavy as what Holden offers in its sporty sedans.

And once you've learnt the car's limits, it opens up a new world - a very rewarding one - and just begs to be brutally hammered like a nail into a chunk of pinus radiata.

The tiller communicates most of what's happening with the dual wishbone type independent front suspension, and together with eye-opening levels of grip from the marvellous 235/45 ZR17 Dunlop SP9000s, you can really throw the thing about, relatively speaking.

I should also mention that the Dunlops provide impressive wet weather grip as well.

Though there is that sense of mild apprehension when approaching unknown corners, the grippy Dunlop tyres do an awesome job of keeping the car planted and, for something that weighs roughly 100kg more than the lithe Holden Commodore SV6, it has decisive turn in and will hold its line through long sweeping corners under hard acceleration thanks to the thoroughly sorted control blade independent rear suspension.

The new gearbox is another very positive aspect of the MkII XR6 Turbo, with heavy but sure shift actions and a well-weighted clutch giving the car a high quality feel, and 6-speed MkII models also get a snappy new flywheel.

Being able to wind out third or fourth gear when exiting slower corners is very rewarding thanks to the copious amounts of bottom end drive, and as much as I hate to agree with the PR fluff, this car really does have a gear for every occasion.

Traction control is also part of the XR6 Turbo package - even with the 6-cog manual - and it's got more advanced software than the Commodore's. It will permit small amounts of power oversteer, where one or both of the rear wheels break traction when charging out of a corner, but it gently dulls the torque delivery instead of just cutting it off altogether, allowing the car to regain its attitude on the road without a massive drop in forward motion.

For something so ominously big and heavy, the XR6 Turbo really stumped me away with its handling abilities. After a few hours in the saddle I really got a feel of the car's strong points, and it doesn't mind changes of direction through chicanes and flip-flops either - so long as they're not too acute.

The suspension does a bang-up job of dealing with the car's heavy weight, and bodyroll has been kept to a minimum as well; quite remarkable when the force-fed Falcon has a smooth ride for everyday commuting.

When not being flung into tight corners and drilled down long straightaways, foot to the floor, the XR6 Turbo can be gently coaxed along with the rest of the traffic flow at more socially acceptable speeds. The huge torque available at low revs improves drivability in everyday situations and when not pushed to its limit, the Falcon Turbo is a real pussy cat: well behaved, quiet and able to deal with the many imperfections on Australia's roads.

Sure, it's not as smooth as the Ford Fairlane or Holden Caprice, but the Ford suspension engineers have struck a practical balance that makes me really want to go out buy one of these fire-breathing performance sedans.

Engine

<TABLE borderColor=#cccccc cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="50%" align=right border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width="50%">
Barra 240T 4.0-litre Inline Six

</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#e8e8e8><TD vAlign=top width="50%">
falcon-xr6t-8.JPG
The inline 6-cylinder Ford engine has a 4.0-litre (3984cc) capacity and has a ball-bearing turbocharger fed by a front-mount air-to-air intercooler, and the engine block is made from cast-iron while the cylinder heads are lightweight aluminium alloy.

4-valves per cylinder (24-valves in total) are actuated by chain-driven dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) and variable valve timing adds flexibility to the engine.

The engine's compression ratio is 8.7:1, compared to the naturally aspirated 6-cylinder engine's 9.7:1, and the engine prefers premium fuel (95+RON) when fuelling the 68 litre tank.

point_c.gif
Max Power: 240kW @ 5250rpm
point_c.gif
Max Torque: 450Nm @ 2000-4500rpm

Well, what's there to say about this high tech engine that hasn't already been said? It's an Australian design, and naturally brilliant of course, and makes wonderful music when in full flight, with a hint of turbo whizz increasing in pitch as the revs rise.

It doesn't produce quite the evocative thrum as a BMW inline six, but it does have its own bass-driven character, and one that I found to be a nice (but not preferred) alternative to the more traditional wobbidy-wob-wob of an Aussie or American V8.

The electronic throttle provides good response and turbo lag is near non-existent thanks to the low 6 psi of turbo boost.

And it's engine is twice as big as a WRX's, so it needs not pump such high levels of boost anyway, and as a bonus the reduced pressure levels on the engine internals means a longer lasting motor.

Peak power is 240kW @ 5250rpm, though the car will happily rev well beyond that mark, and the flat torque curve that hits its peak of 450Nm @ 2000rpm, lasting all the way until 4500rpm, makes for an easy-to-drive, yet supremely tractable engine. It's a jack of all trades and yes, master of all too!

You want lots of noise, molten rubber and heaps of tyre smoke? You got it. Need to save petrol? No worries - it'll suck 8.5-litres per 100km/h if your mindful of your gear changing sequence. I can't stress enough just how good this engine is. If I believed in reincarnation, I'd want to come back in my next life as a Barra 240T engine.

As was mentioned earlier, the new Tremec T56 gearbox that comes with the XR6 Turbo is also used by Holden in its performance models. The final drive ratio in the Commodore SS is 3.46:1, and the old XR6 Turbo 5-speed shifter also had a similar 3.45:1 final drive ratio, but the MkII now has 3.73:1 for improved acceleration.

Exterior

Apart from new 17-inch alloy wheels and the MkII badging on the rear, there's little difference between the old and new BA model Falcons. That said, the new 5-spoke design for the alloy wheels gives the car a very different stance, their slightly deep-dish design lending the XR6 a more muscular look.

<TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 align=right bgColor=#e7efe7 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
falcon-xr6t-5.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
falcon-xr6t-6.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
falcon-xr6t-7.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
The technical-look tacho may be missing a

redline, but it looks great at night, and the
centre console, again, is visually pleasing

The car sits beautifully on the road without too much distance between the wheel arches and tyres, and the bodykit, which includes front and rear aprons, plus side skirts, rear spoiler and fog lights, lends it a subtle road warrior look.

It's not a small car either, measuring 4916mm long and 1845mm wide, and the aggressive headlights, lovingly crafted wheels and XR-badging gives it exponentially more menace that a stock standard Falcon, and the oval exhaust pipe that adorns all XR models gives the rear end a clean, almost sophisticated aspect.

It may be more than a couple of years old now, but the XR Falcon's contemporary design has held up remarkably well against the inexorable passing of time, and I must say that I subscribe to theory A) that Ford's BA Falcon was such a good looking car to begin with and that little needed to be changed.

MkIII may be different story however...

Interior

Big, comfy seats await those who decide to clamber inside the XR6 Turbo, which has slightly better side bolsters for lateral support than its Holden counterparts.

Interior space is cavernous and the Falc' will seat five comfortably, and Chrysler's 300C will surely have a fight on its hands when it arrives later in 2005.

Leather trim is a $1980 option, but I reckon the cloth seats do the job just fine.

Everything about the interior of the XR Falcons is of a slightly better quality than its main competitors, the performance Commodores, and the ambience is very modern and great value for money.

From the high quality chrome-rimmed speedo and tacho dials (back lit in blue for a very cool glow at night), to the classy centre console, the smoother dash plastics and the more ergonomically positioned electric window buttons, the XR6 Turbo Falcon is a great place to spend your road going time.

One area in which Commodores triumph over Falcons are the steering wheels, which have nicer contours and are more pleasing to touch. But the steering-wheel mounted cruise control buttons of the Falcons bring things back inline. The Commodore has stalk-mounted cruise control.

An easy-to-operate centre console, with the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) controls lends the XR6 a more upmarket feel than it should have for the sub fifty-grand performance car, and a good sized 504 litre boot is bigger than the Commodore's 465 litre trunk. The bog standard stereo is also pretty good, and the XR6 Turbo gets a single in-dash CD player too.

Safety features aren't mind-blowing, such as ABS, traction control and two airbags (driver's airbag and front passenger's) and having front side (thorax) airbags as $555 option is a bit rich, but there you go.

Overall: 4.5/5

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
womby_full.gif
</TD><TD>
womby_full.gif
</TD><TD>
womby_full.gif
</TD><TD>
womby_full.gif
</TD><TD>
womby_half.gif

Despite a relatively small number of upgrades, the MkII XR6 Turbo is still a brilliant performer in many respects, and just goes to show how good the original BA Falcon was.

Henry Ford would be proud as punch with the XR6 Turbo, perhaps a little overawed with the centre console and blue-lit instruments, but proud nonetheless. The new 6-speed gearbox combined with grippy tyres and talented suspension makes chasing apexes incredibly rewarding - I became so attached to this car after just a few days that I really didn't want to give the keys back to the folks down at Broadmeadows.

I find it impossible not to get excited about this car - it's just so good at everything it does. For the price of $46,350 it's a veritable bargain, and will give many other performance cars a hiding, particularly if you opt for the performance brakes ($2950).

If there were any criticisms to levelled at the curvy XR6 Turbo, they would probably revolve around fuel consumption. When pushed hard, the 24-valve engine just opens up and slurps fuel like it's going out of fashion. Ahem. There could also be some airbags for rear seat passengers, but these aren't huge quibbles if you're passionate about your driving.

The Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo is a truly thrilling car to drive, particularly when you consider its bulk, and one that can play the part of family transport just as well. Though the MkII badging may not amount to the greatest of changes, it doesn't alter the fact that this is still one of Australia's best performance sedans ever built.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/ford-falcon-turbo-mk2-review.htm

why the hell can't we have cars like that here? I'd buy it for sure. I'm actually holding out to see if that orange turbo focus ever makes it over from europe

What the hell did they rate it with?

We give this car 4.5 rodents/marsupials, which means it's really sweet. Seriously.

I'd definitely love to see the T5 orange Focus too

FOCKERS!! FOCKERS!! FOCKERS!!! Aight thats it. i've moving to Aussie country, screw the US and its Mustangs and old platforms....

We litterally get the leftover garbage the rest of the world saw 5 years ago....

Back