AWD vs FWD for "enthusiast" driving

My next CX5 will actually be AWD. There's some good posts on this forum explaining the functions and how this system operates that I just found fascinating, I never realized it was predictive, and I think for the area where I live where you have different seasonal weather changes it's quite appropriate. I glad my stepdaughter has AWD with my grandchildren in the car.
If I lived in a yearly warmer climate like further down south I would probably stick with FWD.

I have a counter argument: If someone hardly EVER drives off-road and when it snows bad does not have a need to venture out (well, let's see: schools get closed, offices ask folks to work from home, etc.) and then within few hours - at least the highways are cleared by municipality, etc. is there still a good reason to opt for AWD? Rather, wouldn't a FWD with winter tires suffice, especially for the approach roads leading into the highways which tend NOT to be cleared?

I have a counter argument: If someone hardly EVER drives off-road and when it snows bad does not have a need to venture out (well, let's see: schools get closed, offices ask folks to work from home, etc.) and then within few hours - at least the highways are cleared by municipality, etc. is there still a good reason to opt for AWD? Rather, wouldn't a FWD with winter tires suffice, especially for the approach roads leading into the highways which tend NOT to be cleared?
That's my situation now, 7 weeks vacation and 2 weeks of sick time so taking off would be no problem, and yes, snow tires currently suffice. But I have a 25 mile trip to work, and plenty of times a storm would occur halfway there, and driving conditions would just deteriorate rapidly, or I'm at work and a storm starts- a 25 mile trip through that stuff isn't fun anymore. It used to be in my younger days. I would just like the AWD there as an extra measure of safety. I like the predictive part of it.

Yes, it is more than sufficient. If you notice the folks that favor AWD in the snow are solely concerned with moving. No one considers the drastic improvement in braking and cornering with snow tires. AWD with all seasons won't stop or corner any faster than FWD with all seasons.

To my point:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pklJitPm6Q0

I've driven FWD with snow tires (they are mandatory here in winter, AWD is not) all my life except these last couple years. My winter conditions are as bad as they get. I've never gotten stuck in a dangerous situation, I've never been in any accident, I've never even slid off the road. And I've never waited for roads to be cleard before going out. Heck, I've often driven 300km in the middle of a snow storm.

Once you get going, FWD with good winter tires work just as well. It's that get going part where AWD shines. AWD in snow is fun, period (I've even drifted my CX-5 in snow a few times! ). The safety argument, for me, is BS. First thing we learn when we start driving in snow here is to adjust your speed to the driving conditions and be attentive to what's going on around you. You slow down a bit at infections even if the light is green for example. If you do that you will never have to "floor it to get out of the way". If you have to do that, it's because you've put yourself is that situation.

Sure, I love the fact that I can merge onto an intersection with oncoming traffic on slick snowy roads with assurance. But I could also wait for a wider opening between cars.

In a warm climate I'd get FWD. I absolutely love my AWD in winter, but it's a luxury, not a necessity.

I think it's all a matter of preference. I've driven my 545i the last 5 winters and never got stuck or slid off the road. It really boils down to tires and driving ability. Now do I think the AWD vs FWD CX-5 handles better then the other. Does it really matter, it's not a sports car, it's a cuv family car. Just how i see it.

Which is why I have a highly modified MX-5. But that doesn't mean I, as an "enthusiast", can't have a little fun in a "practical" daily driver. Perhaps I should have asked, "AWD vs FWD for "spirited" driving." Not to get into semantics, but in mind mind they are both kinda the same thing. Not just putting the car in "D" and leaving it there. Rather, hearing some tire squeal every now and then and if it's RWD, losing and regaining the back end. No matter what I drive, no matter where or how fast... I always aim for the apex!

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the definitions. I realize Mazda is "Zoom Zoom", but not all of their models make it to enthusiast level IMHO. Now, if we were talking 30 years ago, this 185HP CUV would be a monster for sure...lol.

I've driven FWD with snow tires (they are mandatory here in winter, AWD is not) all my life except these last couple years. My winter conditions are as bad as they get. I've never gotten stuck in a dangerous situation, I've never been in any accident, I've never even slid off the road. And I've never waited for roads to be cleard before going out. Heck, I've often driven 300km in the middle of a snow storm.

Once you get going, FWD with good winter tires work just as well. It's that get going part where AWD shines. AWD in snow is fun, period (I've even drifted my CX-5 in snow a few times! ). The safety argument, for me, is BS. First thing we learn when we start driving in snow here is to adjust your speed to the driving conditions and be attentive to what's going on around you. You slow down a bit at infections even if the light is green for example. If you do that you will never have to "floor it to get out of the way". If you have to do that, it's because you've put yourself is that situation.

Sure, I love the fact that I can merge onto an intersection with oncoming traffic on slick snowy roads with assurance. But I could also wait for a wider opening between cars.

In a warm climate I'd get FWD. I absolutely love my AWD in winter, but it's a luxury, not a necessity.

Have yet to drive my AWD CX-5 in snow. Love it, and it's bailed me out of unforeseen traction-less conditions many a time. Never understood the snow argument as the only reason for it, just one reason. It doesn't even factor for me but a week or two out of the year, some years. But there is always grit, water, etc. that will cause FWD to sit and spin 1-2 seconds of critical time. BTDT, no more FWD for me!

Last edited:

Well, I like the AWD for snow because sometimes overnight it snows. From a clear sky with no chance of it...it happens. I'd like to be able to get home just that much easier. I remember it did it last year. Took a girl out to lunch, and by the time we were headed back to her car a sunny day had turned into cars unable to go up hills (FWD), and all sorts of problems. My AWD jeep made short work of those hills. Not so, the other vehicles with FWD. Slip n slide in reverse! Fail. Say what you want, I've seen it work wonders. No, I won't swap snow tires every morning, some years you don't even get snow, etc. etc.

Sounds like you have it figured out. MX-5 for sunny days, daily driver for the rest of the time. AWD if it snows a lot around there is a good idea.

what was the question again? (uhm)

Well, I like the AWD for snow because sometimes overnight it snows. From a clear sky with no chance of it...it happens. I'd like to be able to get home just that much easier. I remember it did it last year. Took a girl out to lunch, and by the time we were headed back to her car a sunny day had turned into cars unable to go up hills (FWD), and all sorts of problems. My AWD jeep made short work of those hills. Not so, the other vehicles with FWD. Slip n slide in reverse! Fail. Say what you want, I've seen it work wonders. No, I won't swap snow tires every morning, some years you don't even get snow, etc. etc.

I know that it wasn't the main thrust of your post, but I see this misconception a lot. Winter tires aren't just for when there's snow on the roads, they offer considerably improved traction at lower temperatures period. The average all season or summer tire compound gets stiff in winter temperatures and cannot grip nearly as well as a winter tire.

MikeM has been preaching that content (as in the article) for ages now. However, ignorance is rampant. Just today my boss asked me about a car he plans to buy. He settled for AWD primarily because he wrecked his car in snow, a FWD. I know his budget's tight and he's really stretching it with AWD. I offered him to instead go with FWD and it'll cost him 1/3rd. the price delta to instead buy smaller wheels + snow tires. He'll save on gas too, etc., etc.
Nah - EVERYONE, i.e. ALMOST EVERYONE shut me down. AWD is the way to go and with good all-seasons - everything's just PEACHY. I gave up!

Maybe after he wrecks the AWD with no snows he will come around.

Maybe he just gave up on this subject. I figure I have a duty to speak the truth but I don't have any responsibility to convince others it is true.

No idea why it's so difficult for people (not specifically this board) to understand.

AWD + winter tires > FWD + winter tires > AWD + all seasons > FWD + all seasons > walking > anything with summer tires.

Honestly what I got from the OP's original post (noting his "highly modded MX-5" reference) was more about the dry road performance of the AWD and not so much about tires and s*** and trying to drive hard in the snow... which is basically what these 3 pages seem to focus on..

Honestly what I got from the OP's original post (noting his "highly modded MX-5" reference) was more about the dry road performance of the AWD and not so much about tires and s*** and trying to drive hard in the snow... which is basically what these 3 pages seem to focus on..

It's a rare topic here that actually stays on topic for more than a page of replies LOL (shrug)

I know that it wasn't the main thrust of your post, but I see this misconception a lot. Winter tires aren't just for when there's snow on the roads, they offer considerably improved traction at lower temperatures period. The average all season or summer tire compound gets stiff in winter temperatures and cannot grip nearly as well as a winter tire.

I have never had an issue with AWD. With FWD and RWD, I've observed just that. I'm sure of course what you say remains true with AWD, it's just that the AWD makes up for it in spades. A further reason I prefer it. It won't fix braking, but it will fix corner exit, and pulling out into a busy intersection.

I spoke to dry weather AWD performance vs. FWD. I much prefer the traction.

Back