AWD Improvements?

davesxx01

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Has anyone done anything to improve the off road capability of the CX-5?

Although tires are a good start I'm talking about adding a LSD or some kind of electronic wizardry to better engage our AWD system? After watching every video online of these cars in off road conditions it would be great to figure a way to add something like the Subaru X Drive switch to add more "lock" in our system.
It seems that something as simple as wet grass and an incline and we are dead in the water.

If anyone has any tech manuals on the electronics of our AWD system can you post them? Seems it is totally different than the CX-7 and 9 system.

Nobody really seems to know what conditions it works under.
The rear end is just an open diff and the electronic control module for the coupling unit (you can see the expanded parts in the service manual).

You could hook into the solenoid and see the voltage that gets sent to it, like the MS6 guys did to show when AWD is on/off and what conditions.. nobody with a CX5 seems to have done that yet though. I'm guessing you could fake a "lock" by sending at least 4-5V to it ;)

The fact that there is no mechanical LSD, nor does it equip lockers, there just isn't much hope for offroading in the CX-5. It is best suited for slick roadway conditions.

Exactly, it would be nice to find something that fits whatever rear differential we have. AKA the CX-7/9. Or a Quaife!

As if this thing had enough power to begin with to even use a Quaife in the rear (or front).That is with the barely 50% split only when the front loses traction.

A quaife is no good for the rear anyway. Ideally you have a clutch type rear and a torsen or gear type front. It's a good blend of performance and drivability. Gear type rear doesnt work that well since the gear type can still act like an open diff in certain conditions. Of course a true off roader would be lockers.

As if this thing had enough power to begin with to even use a Quaife in the rear (or front).That is with the barely 50% split only when the front loses traction.

Well, It's got to help! Beats one rear tire doing nothing but spinning in the back. If Suby's can do it with their "X Drive" and dismal 170 HP, then our 185ish HP should be OK also.

A quaife is no good for the rear anyway. Ideally you have a clutch type rear and a torsen or gear type front. It's a good blend of performance and drivability. Gear type rear doesnt work that well since the gear type can still act like an open diff in certain conditions. Of course a true off roader would be lockers.

Understood, not looking for a true off roader (would of purchased a Jeep or Forrester) but the other Mazda's (CX-7,9) came with some sort of limited slip rear diff. I don't understand the claim of "AWD" when in fact at most there are only two driven wheels due to the open front and rear diff's.

Just want a bit more traction when on dirt/muddy trails. Not looking to go rock climbing. Seen to many videos of so called AWD vehicles getting stuck on wet grass and of the tests on rollers where the Suby's go right up the ramps and everything else just sitting there.

Well technically all of these open diff vehicles are supposed to do fake limited slip by applying brakes to various tires. Of course, that never seems to work quite as well as they describe it.

The roller tests are also kinda BS. One of them had a venza totally failing compared to a subaru but then they got independently tested on pure ice (skating rink) and the venza did just fine in more real-world conditions.

But yeah, wet grass can be really slippery ;)

The fact that there is no mechanical LSD, nor does it equip lockers, there just isn't much hope for offroading in the CX-5. It is best suited for slick roadway conditions.

No doubt, the CX-5 is not a hard core off-roader (nor was it designed to be one),

That said, it's still far more capable off-road in slick conditions than my F-150 4x4. Yes, the pick-up has much bigger wheels and more ground clearance but the CX-5 maintains traction on steep, loose and uneven surfaces better than the F-10 4x4 with it's limited slip rear differential. The shorter wheelbase of the CX-5 and "smarter" AWD makes it so much more capable at negotiating tricky sections. Of course the F-150 was not designed as a hard core off-roader either.

batman_threadres.jpg

Last winter in Chicago was just beyond terrible, even for Chicago. I had FWD CX-5 while wife had AWD CX-5.

I took wife's AWD for a couple of spins around where I live after heavy snowfalls to check it out. Well, I own AWD now.

The difference was huge. I did not realize how different those 2 cars were in favor of the AWD one.

I like this video and that one

If somebody can use batter off road designated tires, the CX-5 AWD would be very capable.

Need more? Get different car for sure.

I plan on buying severe service tires for the winter season. I think the red sled will be a force for tackling the snowy roads of Mt Hood. Plus you don't need to put on chains.

I wish there was AWD lock button, like the one on the RAV4 and Rogue. However, even a Forester with X-Mode has no lock button nor limited slip/locking differential.
In this class, only the Cherokee, only when properly equipped, comes with all the goodies for off-roading.

Back