AUX Port

Outkast

:
2008 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
If I plug a satellite radio, a smartphone or any device (shuffle, iTouch, iPad) into the AUX Port while charging it through either Cigarette lighter (using an adapter) - center dash or center console - I am getting playback distortion through the speakers. When I unplug the device from the Cigarette lighter (device using internal battery and/or external battery) every thing is fine. Is this a problem with the AUX port itself? Is this something the dealership can fix?

pretty sure it can't be fixed....I have the same problem when I try and charge my iphone and play music at the same time

I believe you are right micronesia. I found this on another forum: Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S. Amazon has it for $8. I just ordered. Once recieved I'll test it out and post update.

Yup, you've discovered the joys of a ground loop. Pick up a ground loop isolator to plug inline between your device and the ACI. They come with different connectors, so the easiest thing would be to search for a 3.5mm ground loop isolator which will plug inline with a standard 3.5mm audio cable.

Just installed the Kensington Noise Reducing Car Audio AUX Cable for MP3 or SmartPhone, including iPhone 4S from Amazon for $8 with a Sirius Starmate and it works perfectly. No more ground loop! Thanks micronesia and icspots!

FYI the noise you hear is called "alternator whine". You'll notice it varies with engine speed.

Back