Aux Input, On Its Way

Ahh!

1sty said:
No system uses the minidisk input, they use the external CD changer connections. PIE is the best bet. You need the PIE to alpine changer, then the pie alpine changer to Aux input.

However, like you have probably read, once you select the aux, the cd player will not work again until you power off the car or unless you unload and reload the CD player.

Atleast this is my understanding of it.

wow i think after reading 8 pages of this i just might just might!!!! buy a new radio SIKE! i like the big buttons i'am getting old (19) so i need them :) i think they will come up with something and yes they will use the MD/Tape Imput they have to.... who is going to buy a product that messes up another product? ok i see some of the point u have 40 Gigs of music so why have a CD player how about for a Guest or someone else driving your car are they going to be able to figure it out or all together bother you to ask you " so how does this s*** work man! i can't get it working!" so i prefer not messing with my CD player and using the MD/Tape would be the best bet for me and i bet for alot of us users. (band)

santisurf said:
i have a XM Satelite Radio all i want is to connect the Audio out from the XM to the MD/Tape in the HU, now i need a straight answer who is coming closest to getting this thing done? and will it actually (on ur opinions) work on a mazda protege 5 2003.5 with the 6disk changer NOTICE!!!! (potkettle (potkettle (rant) WITHOUT LOOSING ANY FOCTUALLATY(SPELLING?) WHAT SO EVER!?

I DON'T NEED THE IPOD

just want to listen to my satelite radio (evil)
If you've read through this thread, you'll see that we've talked about the MD/tape input before. And if you read further, you'll see that we've also said that no one makes an input for the MD/tape connection, except for this company http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/ who has developed this and has limited quantities available right now (and for only $50). Other than them, no one makes or is developing a MD/tape aux input.

I want the exact same thing you do and I'm on the waiting list for the auxmod.

DrummerJim50 said:
If you've read through this thread, you'll see that we've talked about the MD/tape input before. And if you read further, you'll see that we've also said that no one makes an input for the MD/tape connection, except for this company http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/ who has developed this and has limited quantities available right now (and for only $50). Other than them, no one makes or is developing a MD/tape aux input.

I want the exact same thing you do and I'm on the waiting list for the auxmod.

Yup they added me also.. i told him i would be willing to pay 100 for the basic if he sent me one now lol he siad he couldn't so well see what are u going to connect to your Auxmod?

santisurf said:
Yup they added me also.. i told him i would be willing to pay 100 for the basic if he sent me one now lol he siad he couldn't so well see what are u going to connect to your Auxmod?
I'm going to connect a SkyFi2 XM receiver.

Just got an email saying they have an auxmod available for me. According to their website it's not guaranteed it will work for the Protege....it has an "unverified yes" for the Protege. But at only $50 and the fact that it connects to the tape plug makes it worth a try....plus I was told I can return it if it doesn't work (hopefully it doesn't fry my receiver if it doesn't work). I'll probably order it in a few days (money issues at the current moment) and hopefully it works.

Do you know what number on the list you were?

DrummerJim50 said:
Just got an email saying they have an auxmod available for me. According to their website it's not guaranteed it will work for the Protege....it has an "unverified yes" for the Protege. But at only $50 and the fact that it connects to the tape plug makes it worth a try....plus I was told I can return it if it doesn't work (hopefully it doesn't fry my receiver if it doesn't work). I'll probably order it in a few days (money issues at the current moment) and hopefully it works.

ipod_pr5 said:
Do you know what number on the list you were?
no i have not recieved a call back from them yet or an email so well see i'am probbaly like 100.000.050.056 in line or something

Got the auxmod on friday and will be installing it thursday or friday this week (hopefully, I have to get the tools to take the HU out first). I'm planning on taking some pics of the install.

Any luck? I am curious to see how this thing works with the P5 head units... can't imagine they're that different from the "Verified yes" head units.

Anyway, also, it kind of sucks that we're sitting around waiting on a few guys to put these things together when they get around to it. I tried to get 'em to send me their design so I could make one for myself but it's "copyrighted" and blah blah blah. Bullshiiiiaaat. Really, how hard can it be to make this thing act like it is a tape deck??

I propose we attempt to reverse engineer the thing and make it avaliable to the public. Free information. Make one for $20 if you wish to hunt down the parts. I'm an aspiring electrical engineer and I'd love to give it a whirl but I don't have the stereo schematic nor the spare OEM tape deck to decipher. These guys did it... we should be able to too. Anyone with me?! Who's got a protege5 tape deck to destroy? Or better yet, anyone found the pinout for that connector?!

Phatmack said:
I propose we attempt to reverse engineer the thing and make it avaliable to the public. Free information. Make one for $20 if you wish to hunt down the parts. I'm an aspiring electrical engineer and I'd love to give it a whirl but I don't have the stereo schematic nor the spare OEM tape deck to decipher. These guys did it... we should be able to too. Anyone with me?! Who's got a protege5 tape deck to destroy? Or better yet, anyone found the pinout for that connector?!
Holy crap dude calm down. I've been following the work they've been doing on this, and it's not anything simple. Give the guys a break, it's not their only job. Be patient and wait a few more weeks or so and just pay them the $50 or so it costs, it's well worth the money and the designers deserve it for the time they've spent developing it.

-DaViper

Well I didn't get a chance to install it last weekend like I thought.....my inlaws came to visit so I was forced to spend time with them (notcool) , which sucked if I might add. The "plan" is to do it tomorrow.

Do let us know how it turns out... we're all very curious to see if it works in that oh so sacred MD/TAPE slot. Keep us posted.

DaViper: Don't worry. I'm calm. I just don't have the patience nor willingness to wait for a "Few month lead time." If they wish to successfuly sell these things on the market they're going to have to do a little better than that. I for one would also pull more pleasure out of building it myself than sitting on my thumbs to pay those guys $50 for what probably is only worth $10 -15.

But don't worry. I'm surely not upset. Just wanted to see if anyone else had the desire to attempt one of these (or something like it) in the time it takes them to create one and mail it out.

Oh, and per his e-mail today: "I've added you as #787 on the wait list. We're currently up to #316 on the list. We're expecting about a two to three month lead time..." They're asking for competition.

Woohoo!!! (eekdance) Got the auxmod installed and it works great! No problems at all - it appears to work perfectly. My XM radio sounds sooo much better as opposed to using the FM modulator....well worth the $50. There was no need to take pictures of the install, since it only took 60 seconds after I got the head unit out. I am getting a slight hum/buzz which varies with my RPMs, but it sounds like a ground loop isolator will take care of that......but it's not that bad so I might just leave it for now. I tried to hardwire my XM receiver into my car as well, but had trouble getting my relay to work correctly, so I guess that will be a project for another day. On a side note, are you supposed to solder right onto the bottom of the relay or is there a better way to do it?.....the solder didn't want to stick very well.

Phatmack said:
Any luck? I am curious to see how this thing works with the P5 head units... can't imagine they're that different from the "Verified yes" head units.

Anyway, also, it kind of sucks that we're sitting around waiting on a few guys to put these things together when they get around to it. I tried to get 'em to send me their design so I could make one for myself but it's "copyrighted" and blah blah blah. Bullshiiiiaaat. Really, how hard can it be to make this thing act like it is a tape deck??

Wow, you're sure eager to get this thing eh?

I honestly am not that concerned about people using the circuit design, or finding out what the pinout or schematics for the design of the module is, that is the relatively easy part to figure out.

The reason that we've even bothered with this project is because it took more than a simple circuit to make the head unit recognize an add in module. It's not as simple as shorting a couple of wires, or adding a resistor. The radio actually uses a proprietary communication protocol in order to enable devices, relay messages, display text data, etc etc...

It took us quite some time to reverse engineer all the details that we needed in order to make AuxMod basic. 100's of hours. In addition, we had to develop a standalone firmware for our microprocessor that would be reliable, and properly functional in the radio.

We have contemplated open source, and offering kits for people to build, all of which should reduce the cost of the parts. The HU connector that is used by Mazda is not a very easy to source part, and is the key to making the module easy to plug in. We've spent lots of time to finally get reasonably priced supplies. Our total part cost is probably within the range that you mentioned, but we've just barely broken even on this project on all of our expenses, before even factoring the cost of any time that we've worked on it.

We think that we are offering this module for a fair price. The fact that we've had so much interest is pretty good evidence for that. There are also several other things that we would like to accomplish with the module in the future (iPOD, AuxMod Advanced, Text display on the HU, and more), and frankly, if AuxMod basic does well, the chances that we'll develop these other nice gotta have features are much better. We're not a big business, we don't have infinite resources, and we do have day jobs, so this doesn't always get the time it needs.

In the future, if we decide to call AuxMod quits, we'll probably open source the software & schematics on sourceforge, or something. However for now, it looks like things are just finally getting good. We're in a totally new ball game here though. We've got too much demand to make all the boards ourselves (3 to 4 an hour will burn us out in one day), and every step of our supply process takes a lot of time.

We're doing our best to get these modules finished. If you are too impatient to wait, find an alternative, I don't mind. This is just a hobby for me. We've had people interested in this project since January of '04. We didn't even sell the first prototype boards until February of 05. We may take more time than most people (including us) would hope, but we do get the job done, and we hope to do it right.

Regards,

OverLOAD

You're absolutely right, I am pretty eager for one of these things, and I can assure you that I will buy one from you. However, I am also interested in the "hobby" and thing it would be a great project to undertake; obviously you feel the same way.

Tell you what, I'm number 700 something, you're on number 300 something, at 4 per day (assuming you all make them EVERY day) thats well over three months before you get to me. I'm going to see if I can't get something to work in the time that it takes you all to get to my number, assuming you don't continuously put me at the back for ragging on you. So, keep me on the list. But I do want to give it a try.

Good luck getting your business off the ground.

DrummerJim50: Good to hear that the product works perfectly!! (OverLOAD, you guys gonna make it a verified yes for the Protege5?) Where did you run the wire to? I was thinking of tapping out the plate for the MD/Tape module and putting a female connector in there...

-Phatmack

Back