Automatic Transmission

Question for all of you Auto or Sport Auto MP5 owners.

What type of transmission fluid do you use. did you switch to Synthetic? Did you buy and install a transmission cooler?

I am aware our transmission's use a mercon 5 transmission fluid and the on synthetic blend I can find is mobile 1. royal purple does not offer us a synthetic blend.

my other question is with a transmission cooler installed how many more quarts does it take to maintain correct fluid levels?

my next question is where did you go for a flush? or did you just drain your ATF then fill it? or did you have a machine flush it and have someone put in your ATF because im calling places like jiffy lube etc and they wont flush it for me.

There's a procedure in the How-To section on how to "flush" your own automatic transmission.

I use Red Line synthetic. I don't remember which blend of Red Line though.

And the transmission already has a cooler. It's built into the radiator. My guess is that this cooler is fine for most people's use.

Tom03es said:
There's a procedure in the How-To section on how to "flush" your own automatic transmission.

I use Red Line synthetic. I don't remember which blend of Red Line though.

And the transmission already has a cooler. It's built into the radiator. My guess is that this cooler is fine for most people's use.

it does but the transmission cooler isn't as big as a standalone and since I'm turbo'ing my automatic. plus I already bought the transmission cooler I'm just deciding weither or not to flush it or drain it.

You can't fully "drain" the AT unless you pull the thing apart - do it on the car and you'll only get a couple of liters out - the rest stays in the torque converter. Flushing (as per the howto) will allow most of the fluid to be changed (I'd guess about 80-90%).
I used mobil1 synth ATF - readily available and good enough.

Last edited:
ROCT110D2_thumb.gif

Subbin'

....or just pay the 35.00 to have a lube place do it, after you get your 2 gallons of AMSOIL, while you watch them do it. No hassle & 95%+ old removed while new goes in.....added 20000 lb hayden transaver stacked plate cooler & there you have it, 90k worth of xmission shift loveliness.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
....or just pay the 35.00 to have a lube place do it, after you get your 2 gallons of AMSOIL, while you watch them do it. No hassle & 95%+ old removed while new goes in.....added 20000 lb hayden transaver stacked plate cooler & there you have it, 90k worth of xmission shift loveliness.
That is, if your lube place isn't being dicks about it and saying they can't use oil that is bought outside of their store.

bumpin_p5 said:
That is, if your lube place isn't being dicks about it and saying they can't use oil that is bought outside of their store.

which they already have so im going to need to find someone who will do it for me

i12drivemyMP5 said:

with the trans cooler installed do you add more then 7.6 qts. that is the recommend amt of trans fluid that goes in our cars.

Matthew1785 said:
with the trans cooler installed do you add more then 7.6 qts. that is the recommend amt of trans fluid that goes in our cars.
I had the 2 gallon(8 qt) jug of AMSOIL & it took at least another 1/2 quart to top it off while warm & idling in park after getting home from the lube place(about a mile). I had a couple of stray qt bottles of AMSOIL that I used. It will vary to some degree how much extra you need based on the extra hose & cooler capacity which is determined by which one you get. Their size is based upon their lb rating. Mine took near 9 to fill with the extra lines & cooler. Try another lube place, somebody'll do it. Just make sure they empty their machine of regular ATF before sucking yours up into the machine. Just make sure that afterward you drive around a bit then check with car hot & idling that it is full on the dipstick. It shows way full if you check it without car running & on the lower mark on dipstick if not hot yet.

cool, I was able to find a ma & pa shop that would do it for 75.00 not using there own ATF.They said they have a 90% flush rate.

Since I'm going to do the flush AFTER I get the transmission cooler installed. what fluid do you recommend I get to top it off till I get my flush? obviously nothing synthetic. any thoughts on that?

Ok i picked up some Pennzoil Dextron III/Mercon V ATF which is says is a synthetic blend but will work with exsisting Mercon V ATF or Dextron III which is what i have in my car now, and that im assuming is a non-synthetic blend. Sound good for now until i get my trans flushed next week?

Back